OKLAHOMA CITY

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Laramie, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Cities wanting in on the MLS expansion derby by 2020 will definitely have to have a Soccer Specific Stadium with solid financing.

Oklahoma City will have some type of stadium on its 2017 MAPS IV initiative which could be constructed by 2020.

The current interests in bringing a higher level of soccer to the OKC area is at its all time high. Among the two groups with plans for a USL-Pro and NASL franchises coming in 1214 and 2015 respectively, both have expressed interest in building their own stadiums with initial venues seating 8,000 to 14,000 and expansion eventually exceeding 20,000.

The popular MAPS Initiatives (MAPS I, FOR HOOPS, II, III) started back in 1993. It was a penny sales tax which generated about $110 million annually and as the sales taxes are collected the various projects proposed are built. This insures that each project in fully financed prior to ground-breaking. The Bricktown Ballpark, Chesapeake Energy Arena, Bricktown Canal are among the projects resulting from the original MAPS. As 2017 approaches, the voters will only need to approve the new projects on the initiative and extend the existing sales tax without letting it expire. This will mean no new taxes--it continues the current sales tax.

There will be many larger cities with MLS aspirations with TV and population making their markets attractive in those catagories.

Does Oklahoma City become a viable contender if the stadium is financed in 2017?

2. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I think it will be difficult.
    I imagine there will be too many big players involved for OKC to get a fair shake.

3. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    OKC is too small a TV market for MLS to accept (#43). I imagine Las Vegas is as small as they'll go.

5. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Las Vegas's TV market is ranked relatively low, but nearly everyone in it actually lives in the vicinity. By CSA (2.3M), Cincinnati, Raleigh, and Austin are smaller--but each have been recently discussed as possible sites for teams. By MSA (2.1M), Kansas City, Columbus, San Jose, and Salt Lake are smaller, but they all have teams.

Oklahoma City, though, is small. It's among the smallest U.S. cities to have a top-level pro sports franchise. By CSA (1.4M), it's barely larger than Memphis, and the Green Bay Packers are an historical artifact. By MSA, it's ahead of three more cities, but still near the bottom. By TV market size, it's #43, and (like MSA) is the 6th smallest city with a major franchise. There are half a dozen larger cities without any pro sports teams. If it didn't already have an NBA team, I'd be only somewhat pessimistic.

While I can't conclusively rule it out, there are too many reasons to doubt the market at present. OKC Energy are not as well attended as teams in some larger markets. Funk doesn't have enough money without additional investors. There is no stadium plan, and it's uncertain how much a municipality will help support such a project.

FootySkeptic repped this.
  6. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    Yeah its just being thrown out there to get media attention. Apparently the news lady is engaged to Mr. Bob Funk Jr. and got him on at his request to make this announcement. Its just part of the USL vs NASL duking it out in the same market.

Someone from OKC could probably chime in on that.

MLS to OKC is not going to happen for awhile....

The Franchise repped this.
  7. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    #7 Laramie, Apr 6, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
    Until there's some kind of soccer specific stadium is built in the core or on the riverfront; just don't see MLS in OKC anytime soon.

Funk Sr., has hinted at big dreams before; now with the success of the NBA in our market he has more faith and realizes that the potential is there.

Rumors have circulated that someone is negotiating to purchase the old Producers Coop Mill site that is a prime 37-acre parcel nestled in the OKC Core-to-Shore development area. This site would require some extensive & costly clean up.

[​IMG]

Could a stadium be going up on that site?

Producers Cooperative mill shuts down cotton operation in Oklahoma City | News OK

If Steve knows something; he's very tight lipped at this stage of the game; however, he did mention a possible stadium at his OKC Central Chat transcript, April 1, 2016:

OKC Central Chat transcript, April 1, 2016 | News OK

Too early to tell what the Oklahoma City Energy FC will do at this point. Their last 8 crowds at Taft Stadium have averaged 6,200 ending the 2015 season going into the 2016 season. Who knows, we should hear something in the future.

The MLS appears to target expansion markets of 2 million or more on their current radar. The OKC MSA has about 1.4 million residents. Salt Lake City is the smallest MLS market at 1.3 million; however that market has a very high per capita income.

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  8. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Note the Salt Lake MSA does not include Utah County, which provides a significant amount of support for RSL. Over half a million people in Utah County, nearly all within a forty mile drive of Rio Tinto Stadium.

9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And let's be honest, SLC metro probably wouldn't get into the picture in 2016. They got in because of the doom and gloom of 2002, $10 million check and Dave Checketts.

10. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not with a bid like what Checketts had at the time. (Even if the monetary amount was significantly higher.) But with Hansen and Rio Tinto Stadium, I don't see why not. The CSA is slightly larger than Kansas City, Columbus, and San Antonio, and just smaller than Sacramento.

11. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe, if the Blitzz were world beaters like Sac and Orlando, which they never were.

12. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Engery may actually be making a push for MLS. Sorry Rayo.

769661622528782336 is not a valid tweet id

sitruc repped this.
  13. Grave27

Grave27 Member

Jun 27, 2008
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going to be interesting to see how this plays. I would love it but this could be SA all over again

14. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/...referral&utm_content=News&utm_campaign=Unpaid

USL side OKC Energy FC have designs on becoming a future MLS team and they're already thinking ahead to a potential stadium.

The club's owner, Bob Funk Jr., is set to lead a group of investors that will close on a 37-acre plot of land in downtown Oklahoma City with an eye toward building a soccer-specific stadium on the site that he’s hoping will be part of a future bid for an MLS team.

15. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rayo?They will be lucky if they are still playing anywhere next year let alone MLS...

The Franchise repped this.
  16. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was meant to imply the Energy have all but won the market at this point. Not Rayo looking to go to MLS.

17. Badgercrew

Badgercrew Member

Borussia Dortmund
    United States
    Nov 4, 2014
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    VfL Wolfsburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be interesting. No one ever thought the Thunder could survive in OKC and look at how well theyve done. I wouldnt put it past an MLS team surviving there too if they had the right people running the team.

18. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    I will be completely stunned if OKC receive a MLS franchise. If I am MLS I would pick St. Louis, Detroit, Charlotte and maybe Sacramento first.

19. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why only 'maybe'?

20. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    These folks are talking about 10 years from now and more, they are targeting spots 28-32.

So Sacramento, St.Louis, Detroit, Charlotte etc will probably be in the league by then.

It's a small market, but if they get motivated and generous like with the Thunder, I think anything is possible. The Thunder got a free downtown arena, free practice facility, they keep all revenues, even arena naming rights.

If a team gets so much stuff that they are basically guaranteed to make profit, and owners are good for expansion fee, MLs would listen.

21. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    I look at MLS current footprint and they have two major holes in it. The Midwest and the MidAtlantic in my opinion this is where MLS should focus their attention on.

22. Fracas

Fracas Member

Jun 20, 2015
    Tulsa, OK USA
    Being in Tulsa this looks interesting
    Wonder how they could build a fan base in Tulsa

23. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Beckham were allowed to move his "franchise" out of myAmi, he would have a lot of bidders with stadiums ready to be built.

24. Thrash13

Thrash13 Member

OKC Energy FC
    United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Lawton, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably so, but OKC won't be that place. Haha

I'm an Oklahoma guy and OKC Energy fan, and reading this a few weeks ago definitely excited me quite a bit! There's no doubt in my mind OKC could handle an MLS team. The Energy haven't had amazing attendance, but it hasn't been terrible either. And if they get the title "MLS team" along with a brand new stadium, things would get even better! I'm hopeful it happens and will happily make the hour and a half drive several times each season to watch.

chungachanga repped this.