Oklahoma City, In the Press.

Discussion in 'Rayo OKC' started by Laramie, Sep 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doing it and saying "it's a good/better idea" are two different things. That's all I was saying.

2. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought both of these were worth posting for folks as they present a pretty good primer:

http://www.nasl.com/news/2015/11/20/rayo-okc-aims-to-be-local-club-with-international-flair

...the backbone of the club is ostensibly Oklahoma. Co-owner Sean Jones, along with managing partners Brad Lund and DeBray Ayala, have extensive experience in sports in the OKC metro area.
    “We have the best of both worlds,” Jones said. “We know the Oklahoma City market. With Brad and DeBray – and Eric [Newendrop, the team’s general manager] as well – we have 40 years of sports experience here. We understand the market, we were all born and raised here.”

http://www.nasl.com/news/2015/11/10...n-team-up-to-bring-nasl-club-to-oklahoma-city

Raúl Martín Presa, owner of Rayo Vallecano since 2011, will be the majority owner of the Oklahoma City club. Under Martín Presa’s leadership, Rayo has seen steady growth on and off the field, remaining in Spain’s top tier for all five seasons.
    “Pro soccer fans in Oklahoma have just been served up a true winner,” Peterson said. “With what will be an incredibly strong connection to the La Liga side in Madrid, Rayo OKC will set the competition bar even higher across North America. The potential this partnership brings to the game is unmatched, and we believe that fans in Oklahoma just got a front row seat to the next level of soccer in this country.”

Oklahoma City’s NASL club will play its home games at Miller Stadium – a new $17 million facility - on the campus of Yukon High School. The stadium has fixed seating of 6,500, and has the ability to expand to 11,000 for pro soccer games. Miller Stadium features a split-level press box for working media and private suites for guests. The stadium also has a large video board on the north end, a 24,000-square-foot wellness center, and an on-site parking capacity of 2,500 spaces.

brentgoulet, Prosoccercdn and ManuSooner repped this.
  3. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We had an informal meeting last night at Coop Ale Works to talk about the start of a Supporter's Group. I didn't know if it would be just me, and the 3 friends I brought, but we ended up with 12 people. IMHO, a great start.
    Coop Ale Works will provide beer for tailgating, and such :)
    One of the owners, Sean, was there to deliver the pizza, say thank you for coming, and then he left. He doesn't want it to be a team thing. He wants it to be completely come from the supporter's. But he did say that whenever we get organized that we will have a team liaison to discuss issues, requests, etc...
    Also, for "Ted" and all the "folks" he's been talking to, according to Sean corporate sponsorships are already above and beyond what they were expecting.

greenroom repped this.
  4. greenroom

greenroom BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad its finally coming together for OKC NASL. Just to bad San Antonio is going to crap.

brentgoulet and The One X repped this.
  5. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there any word what is going to happen? From what I understand the situation in San Antonio is the reason the schedule hasnt come out yet for next year? They are still waiting to see if Scorpions will play?

6. greenroom

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No clue.. Neither SSE or Scorpions are talking. Which is driving me and other fans crazy.

brentgoulet repped this.
  7. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    The utter silence seems very weird. Usually when silence like this happens it means something wrong happened, and the agreement wasn't accepted. Which just seems odd. My only guess is the Scorpion's owner did not like something in the proposed deal.

8. greenroom

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Crocketeers tweeted that the deal is done, but instead of being done before Thanksgiving it will be an early Christmas present.

9. jrmck

jrmck Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    would you post a link. I have scrolled all of the Crocketeers tweets back to November 20th and can't find it.

Go SAFC!

10. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    The website still offers ''2016 season tickets''

http://www.sascorpions.com/season-tickets

11. greenroom

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    May offer, but until I hear what direction they will be going I am going to wait.

I am starting to wonder if the delay is positive for the Scorpions and NASL and that SSE is looking at keeping the team as is. Or maybe thats me not wanting to see the Scorpions go away.

brentgoulet repped this.
  12. greenroom

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. greenroom

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to hijack the OKC thread.. will head back to SA NASL tread.. and turn back to OKC news.

14. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    San Antonio no longer in NASL... New USL club starts playing in 2016... Oops.

15. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep

We need a ''contraction'' thread :(

16. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Heard that San Antonio could have the same concerns that will be a challenge for OKC. An established ULS Club inside the city's core and a new NASL franchise in the vibrant suburban area of Yukon (Home of Garth Brooks).

The Scorpions will switch to the USL and there is a possibility that another group will put a franchise in San Antonio to compete in the NASL. The Alamo city is on the short list for that possible 4th expansion franchise to meet the MLS' expansion goal post 2020.

17. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The Scorpions are not switching to USL. That franchise may move to another city but it is done in San Antonio. Gordon Hartman, the owner, has been trying to sell the team for a year but couldn't find a buyer. The NASL is trying to move the team to another city if they can find investors.

The San Antonio Spurs are starting a new USL team to play in the stadium that the Scorpions owner recently sold to the city and county. They are attempting to move up to MLS.

It is nothing like OKC. There will only be one team in San Antonio. Unless you have some information that no one else has seen.

18. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Thanks for the clarification newtex.

19. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  20. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good. One more reason not to like them. As if I need one :)
    Also found out that we will scrimmage against Houston Dynamo next month

21. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    #496 Laramie, Jan 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
    Just a matter of time before FC Dallas decides it's time for an FC Dallas 2 entry into the USL. Meanwhile, they will affiliate with OKC; then drop them like a hot potato. Aren't we tired of being Dallas & Houston's floozy?

USL should rebrand themselves as MLS Development League 2. Have one division for the MLS2 teams and another for the independents.

The NASL has the future potential to really rival the MLS; much like the MLB's NL vs. AL. It's not going to happen overnight.

ManuSooner repped this.
  22. mikehurst21

mikehurst21 Member

Oklahoma City Energy FC
    United States
    Nov 6, 2013
    Moore Oklahoma
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your delusional

23. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Very constructive.

USAsports6 repped this.
  24. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    "You're delusional."

You're probably correct, I thought you knew...

ManuSooner and USAsports6 repped this.
  25. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For NASL to be competitive with MLS A LOT of things have to happen. And Laramie's right, it won't happen overnight. I would be super happy if NASL is just an incredible Div II league.
    BUT, if:
    - Maldini's Miami team does well, and
    - Peter Wilt can get a stadium built in Chicago and bring back the Sting, and
    - Rayo OKC does well (when all of the BS conventional wisdom says otherwise), and
    - Las Vegas and San Fran get started, and do well, and
    - A TV contract gets put in place, and
    - one or a couple of the higher-flying USL teams get tired of being a farm league for MLS and find a way to leave for NASL

Like I said, an Anus-Ton amount of things have to happen.

TheFalseNine repped this.