Oklahoma City, In the Press.

Discussion in 'Rayo OKC' started by Laramie, Sep 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    You're right Mr. Warmth:

The stadium, completed in 1975 at the cost of $55 million, was sold at an auction in 2009 to Andreas Apostolopoulos of Triple Investment Group LLC, who was born in Greece and now lives in Toronto, for $583,000. The Silverdome was home to the Detroit Lions until 2002.

The Lions abandoned the Silverdome after their final regular-season game, Jan. 6, 2002, against Dallas, and now play at Ford Field in Detroit. Despite efforts to bring in new events, the loss of the Lions left the Silverdome without a sport to bring in the necessary revenue to avoid a deficit.

The football team paid a settlement of $26 million for breaking its contract. Of that, about half was used to pay off the remaining debt. The rest was used up in withdrawals to pay for city expenses and projects, and to cover the annual $1.5 million to $1.7 million Silverdome deficit.

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/gene...art-at-pontiac-silverdome-as-roof-is-deflated

According to this report the Silverdome broke more than even on its debt.​

2. JeffIsInTexas

JeffIsInTexas New Member

Aug 16, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The OKC NASL Facebook page had this article from NewsOK about Tim McLaughlin's work refurbishing OKC Public Schools sports field. There is only a passing mention of his involvement with the NASL team.

http://newsok.com/article/3890969?rel=author

3. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Let's hope that soccer has the initial impact on our sports community as did the Oklahoma City Thunder.

MAPS III took a survey and these were the ideas which led to formatting the ballot.

Results of 2007 Call for Ideas:

1. Transit
    2. Infrastructure
    3. Parks/Central
    4. Trails
    5. Beautification
    6. Sidewalks
    7. Improve River
    8. Education
    9. xDowntown Retail
    10. xFootball Stadium

11. Improve Ford Center
    12. New Convention Center
    13. Major League Sports
    14. Senior Citizen Centers
    15. xFree Downtown Parking

Items (x) 9, 10, 15 were left off MAPS III

We are going to have to plan to have these items as a priority for MAPS IV.

Source: http://www.okc.gov/council/mayor/state_of_city/2010/

ManuSooner repped this.
  4. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Want to help map out OKC's future(?):

Oklahoma City is developing a new comprehensive plan, planOKC, and wants your help. The project includes an interactive online tool, CrowdGauge, to receive public input on how Oklahoma City residents can secure a healthy environment, community and economy for themselves. Learn more and interact with CrowdGauge by going online to planokc.org. --William Crum, Oklahoman

http://www.planokc.org/

So now’s the time to speak up and offer your two cents on what Oklahoma City should be, what it needs — or doesn’t — in the future.

What do you see for Oklahoma City's future(?): http://newsok.com/what-do-you-see-for-oklahoma-citys-future/article/3889336

5. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, I just wanted to let people in the OKC area know (in case you didnt already) that the OKC NASL folks are going to be holding an open forum today, Sunday the 20th, at Skinny Slims, at 5pm. They will be providing drinks and pizza for anyone who shows up, and they want to get our feedback on what we want to see from OKC FC

6. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just found out that OKC NASL will be holding another focus group this Wednesday, Oct 23rd at 6:30 at The Fox And Hound, for anyone who wasnt able to make the meeting last night.

7. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wondering when we'll see this on TV?

8. JeffIsInTexas

JeffIsInTexas New Member

Aug 16, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    StarsAndStripesFan repped this.
  9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ha! So I35 connects San Antonio, OKC and Minnesota. I never knew that, as they say you learn something new every day.

[​IMG]

JeffIsInTexas repped this.
  10. Evil Genius

Evil Genius Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Southern Minnesota
    Also Dallas, Kansas City, and Austin. Get Austin a pro team again and I-35 could be the Soccer Corridor.

11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After Austing gets in, we call all start sending letters/Emails to congress to rename I-35 "The soccer highway" or "Soccer Corridor" if you prefer.

12. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Outstanding find, JeffIsInTexas.

Good struff:

"In a city that is already dominated by the Oklahoma City Thunder, as well as OU, OSU, TU, and other colleges, Taylor sees the allure of the soccer atmosphere as something that will set their team apart from the aforementioned groups. “The community as a whole has always been a college environment, and now there’s Thunder-nation. Once we have our first game, once things become tangible, we think people will realize that soccer is a different environment than OU, OSU, and the Thunder. The amount of passion in soccer in international play, or in Portland as I experienced, is truly incredible. Fans, when they come to games, will be able to experience something they never have before and be a part of it."

14. JeffIsInTexas

JeffIsInTexas New Member

Aug 16, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    There is a post today on the same blow with "possible" new logo ideas for the USL-Pro OKC team. Some of them are pretty good and I kind of wish he didn't do that because I am sure the Prodigal group will steal them or something. Seems like there will be regular soccer postings some the author played and is a fan, which makes me hopeful that someone will finally getting some more information out there that isn't just a press release.

15. OKCSoccer4life

Oct 31, 2013
    Club:
    Everton FC
    JeffIsInTexas do you have a link to the ideas you are referring to? If so can you post.

16. JeffIsInTexas

JeffIsInTexas New Member

Aug 16, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  17. OKCSoccer4life

Oct 31, 2013
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Looks from his article like they are from Prodigal or are they from this guy?

18. JeffIsInTexas

JeffIsInTexas New Member

Aug 16, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I am "assuming" they are the creations of the author and not Prodigals.

19. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    uh yeah. Just spec. Nothing from Prodigal. Not surprised about that

20. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Some really nice crests for the USL-Pro Oklahoma City entry. Just wonder which one will be used moving forward...

21. OKCSoccer4life

Oct 31, 2013
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Saw them on that blog page but somebody said these weren't Prodigal's is that accurate or are these theirs? Are some nice ones, thoughts on them?

22. FCjason

FCjason Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Flyers is by far the best one. Energy, Spirit and Wind are all good candidates for the WNBA. I was really pulling for the Flyers or something like the Flyers for the NASL team.

23. mikehurst21

mikehurst21 Member

Oklahoma City Energy FC
    United States
    Nov 6, 2013
    Moore Oklahoma
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did a quick patent search it appears these are from Prodigal

24. OKCSoccer4life

Oct 31, 2013
    Club:
    Everton FC
  25. mikehurst21

mikehurst21 Member

Oklahoma City Energy FC
    United States
    Nov 6, 2013
    Moore Oklahoma
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah all of them plus okc aeros prodigal even patented the latin phrase thats in the energy one it means work conquers all to that I say to Mr. Funk we shall see

I know you guys dont like it but I think the energy one is the best of them all