Oh well ..... 2019 Preseason thread :-)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by fatbastard, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    United better sign Donovan Pines to a homegrown contract if they want to improve their central defense.

JoeSoccerFan, Heist and GumbyG repped this.
  2. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree he sounds like the type of centerback DCU needs, but I'm leery of all those concussions.

Heist repped this.
  3. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plenty of deals today in the half day window but none by DC United.

4. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If DC acquired anyone that moved today you would have 5 posts today talking about how they were deck chairs.

5. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some deck chairs are necessary. They can even be used for subsequent trades and to make available in the dispersal draft. Not making a move is also fine. This isn't the time period that quality gets acquired.

James

PSURoss and shawn12011 repped this.
  6. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What James said!!!

7. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was watching some story about The Titanic yesterday and they showed an actual preserved deck chair ...... you know this was the first place I thought of :D

8. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The spate of trade activity has involved 9 or 10 teams, so it isn't like we're alone. Although I admit, I'd like to see us make moves and settle in early for a change, instead of having half a dozen question marks at the start of camp.

I think the college draft is useful in keeping most kids focused on their college careers rather than fielding multiple phone calls a month from every team in MLS. Otherwise, drafts of every stripe should be banned like asbestos, especially expansion drafts. They just mess with your acquisition strategy.

9. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting and relevant interview with Kasper on the Mothership from Nov 30 that I haven't seen referenced here. Stuff to glean:

Re-opening negotiations with Acosta for an extension.

Kasper is going after "impact signings" at centerback and right back, and they are looking at internationals who are talented but can't break through consistently at their clubs.

The anticipate international offers for Mattocks, he'd like to leave. No mention of what their strategy might be to replace him.

No concrete offers for Durkin yet.

They'd like to resign Nicky and Fisher, but they have to be able to justify whatever numbers they arrive at, given their injuries and likelihood of contributing significant minutes in 2019.

We're only likely to resign Opare if we can't make another signing.

Olsen will likely be coach next season, but it isn't clear if it'll be under a new contract.

Loudoun should have a coach sometime around the new year. and "He said the USL side will feature a mix of academy talent, young first-teamers struggling for MLS minutes, international signings and veterans, with an emphasis “heavily shifted towards player development.” "

Dane Murphy was hired as TD.

And then there's this quote from Kasper, which I found interesting: “We feel that tactically we can continue to take steps forward with this group. We feel that a key point of emphasis next year will be tactical flexibility, now that we have sort of the core and our identity re-established, we can take steps further with having more tactical flexibility to change during the game, to play on the road, play different systems depending on different opponents.”

10. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. Speaks very loudly to finding a new coach. Benny got lucky that Rooney was a great on the field coach. We need someone with more tactical nuance and understanding... I it's been said before a thousand times. I just can't believe we keep him in the fold, even if he's a DCU legend.

Eastern Bear and Hedbal repped this.
  11. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

12. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Stieber. He is more than a deck chair. Hopefully we can re-sign him at a better deal and get him on the field next season. Maybe that means Arriola playing more of a central role alongside Acosta with Rooney up top.

James

bigredfutbol, Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  13. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think there's anyone surprising on the unprotected list. I'd be disappointed if Cincy picked up Stieber, but I can't see them doing that given his salary.

Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  14. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re-sign Stieber? He's already signed for next year.

15. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

a different way of looking at it :D

16. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm hoping that Stieber is just too expensive for other teams. Also, Brillant was coming on at the end of the year, but he;s not young and CB is one place Kasper is trying to improve.

Winoman repped this.
  17. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Ben Olsen isn't going to play Steiber than hopefully Cincy takes him.

Lot of money for a guy who the coach won't put in the XI.

Heist repped this.
  18. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be very sad if Zoltan is taken by some random Ohio team.

If they do, it'll be for a trade because some other team wants him.

I hope he stays, he's one of my favorite players, and you gotta love his goal celebration. Also, I am a fan of his salary as listed by the MLSPA.

Winoman repped this.
  19. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Questions: Asad was said to be released pending renegotiated contract. Now we show him as protected. Does that mean the deal was done? DCU has no free agents out of contract according to MLS website, and shares the exposed list for the expansion draft as including Mattocks. Cinci should snatch him up.

The 2018 MLS Expansion Draft will be held at 2 pm ET on Tuesday, December 11, streaming live on MLSsoccer.com.

FC Cincinnati may select up to five players from the eligible MLS player pool. Only a single player can be drafted from any one club.

D.C. United

• Vytas
    • Frederic Brillant
    • Nick DeLeon
    • Kevin Ellis
    • Jared Jeffrey
    • Dane Kelly
    • Taylor Kemp
    • Darren Mattocks
    • Bruno Miranda
    • Chris Odoi-Atsem
    • Kofi Opare
    • David Ousted
    • Zoltan Stieber
    • Travis Worra

20. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    I think expansion teams, if they are smart, will select defensive quality players in an expansion draft and use international and DP spots and trades for offense. That makes it a bit more unlikely for Zoltan to be chosen

bigredfutbol, DCUSA and Heist repped this.
  21. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Believe DC is protecting the rights to negotiate with him not not necessarily his contract.

Kenobi and Eastern Bear repped this.
  22. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Protecting Segura ( who is a deck chair) and not Stieber (who is not) is a mistake. Plain and simple.

23. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it's not. Segura is far more likely to be taken in the expansion draft than Stieber.

24. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good let him get taken. I would shed no tears.

25. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    You're both right. Segura is a deck chair because he is an average MLS talent (but, at a below MLS salary). That salary makes him valuable. If 50% of MLS midfielders are average/about the same, you might as well get one on the cheap. Stieber, on the other hand is expensive by MLS standards. I agree that he has a lot to offer, but Olsen doesn't rate him for some reason. Stieber has value as a free kick taker and is pretty good on the wing. He's not super speedy and that will dictate the type of team that wants him. A lot of MLS sides like speed on the wings.

Heist and shawn12011 repped this.