Oh well ..... 2019 Preseason thread :-)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by fatbastard, Nov 6, 2018.

1. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I'm asking Santa for a waiver of the prohibition on bringing beverage containers into the stadium. I'm bringing at least a fifth of bourbon.

PSURoss and Winoman repped this.
  2. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    What's he going to do for you? He can't even stop his shop from sinking into the ocean every summer.

fatbastard, griffin1108 and Auriaprottu repped this.
  3. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
    #228 QuietSide, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    deckchair ref

:)

4. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    You’re hired!

Winoman and Auriaprottu repped this.
  5. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    If you knew NPSL refs the way I know NPSL refs, you would not be hoping for a strike.

6. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    This certainly deserves it own thread, but in the meantime.. ..

I'm deeply undecided at this point.

On the positive side:
    - any scheme that does away with the away goal rule can't be all bad.
    - Middle of the road teams like DCU are advantaged. Over time quality will out. In the old system the better team had 180 minutes to sort things out, But in one 90 minute match the lower seeded team has a better chance. in a single elimination format a hot and healthy team is just three matches away from playing in the MLS Cup.

On the negative side:
    - MLS is a game day supporter's league, and it's a rip off that supporters who attend 17 matches over 8 months may not see a home match if their club makes the playoffs. Despite the loss, this year's home playoff game was a great experience.
    - Expanding to 14 teams is an unfortunate confirmation that the MLS playoff system rewards mediocraty. For the last couple of seasons the 12 playoff teams have been pretty good. Going two deeper may result in struggling clubs getting in.
    - Since some teams play on grass and others on artifical turf, the new format will result in many matchups with one of the teams playing one and done on a surface with which they are not familiar. Watching the MLS Cup made it clear that soccer on turf is a somewhat different game. The ball moves much more quickly, and the team used to playing on it has a major advantage. It's easier for a turf team to adjust to the slower grass surface than a grass team to the faster game on turf.

ejs1111, Hedbal, griffin1108 and 3 others repped this.
  7. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    The endgame here will be 16 playoff teams because it creates a clean bracket.

I'm also disappointed by single game knockout. After such a long season, it's bizarre to just end it so quickly. I'd rather shorten the regular season to 30 games if congestion is the issue. Playoffs should be your top seller in attendance and TV.

For a long time my dream was actually a first to 4 points format. Gets rid of the annoying away goal rule. No series would feel over after game 1 just because one team got blown out. And it gives a tangible reward to the higher seed by having them host the possible game 3.

fairfax4dc and griffin1108 repped this.
  8. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ok I'll take that one..........................:D

QuietSide repped this.
  9. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What would you do if both teams tied all three games? Make them play a 4th? Extra time after the 3rd?

10. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I would make it like tennis, play until the winner gets a 4 point advantage over the other. Think of the thrilling 25 game Eastern Conference semifinal we could have.
    On a serious note, the one and done really will suck for fans of lower seeds because they won't get a home playoff game. Given that MLS teams drive revenue from ticket sales more than TV rights, the lack of any post season home games for a team is a big revenue hit. Also deprives the fans of the team a chance at a special event. As someone posted earlier, despite the result in the Columbus game, the atmosphere in the stadium was electric. Even on the west side, fans were singing, chanting and standing during the game. Not at least offering a chance for that to fans of all playoff eligible teams is a mistake. This new move by MLS has a Tom Hunt type sports marketing smell to it.

fairfax4dc repped this.
  11. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Extra time and PKs ...

ejs1111 repped this.
  12. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    There's an easy fix for that. Don't be so shitty during the season.

Funkfoot, Heist, Potowmack and 4 others repped this.
  13. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm good with the playoff model. I do agree with fairfax's points about turf/grass. I just hate turf, but I guess that's what home field advantage gets you. I do wish they would re-seed after each round so the top team during the season is always playing the worst seed. It would theoretically reward regular season performance more. I worry that the 4 month season break for non playoff teams will stifle player development. That's a long break.

14. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they have to do the 4 month break this year, but next year, they'll be able to move up the drafts, start the preseason the first week of January and start games mid-February. Hopefully they will do that...?

15. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Since I don't control the outcome of the game, that's irrelevant to my concerns. Attending home playoff games is exciting and something that could draw in the occasional fan. I'm not sure watching a DC United march to MLS Cup on the cable access production on NewsChannel 8 would have the same lasting effect. I certainly remember the 2004 Eastern Conference final in ways I don't remember televised playoff games.

fairfax4dc, Winoman and shawn12011 repped this.
  17. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Simple solution that many will not like.....require a 60/40 or 70/30 split of ticket sales.

Heist repped this.
  18. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not a fan of that.....it removes the underdog that many people love.

PSURoss repped this.
  19. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I like away goals, but i like this format as well. No more in between crap.

20. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most American sports leagues don't give enough of a reward for being the better team during the regular season. IMHO, if you've got a best of 5 playoff (like the Division Series in MLB), the worse team should only get one home game, and in a best of 7, they should only get two.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  21. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Fixed your post.

22. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    The Goff Machine reports GK Earl Edwards Jr likely to move to DC for second round draft pick. United working on signing Pines and Bustamonte to homegrown contracts.

Winoman and GumbyG repped this.
  23. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be on ESPN or fox sports

24. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The next step is trading Ousted.

Murrdcu, Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  25. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The very same Goff article said they're working on it and they have some leads...

shawn12011 repped this.