"Oh Oh Oh.. USA" Chant

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by Gioca, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know the origins of this chant? It's the one we often sing right after the national anthem. I've also heard it for years in Italy.

I'm asking because I was just listening to the radio and a song with that chorus came on. It's not a soccer song. I'm not sure if the song is the basis of the chant or is based on the chant, but I think its from like 1982. The singer is "Dario Baldan Bembo" and the song is "L'Amico è" or "Amico è".

2. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always heard it watching Argy league games.

3. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it sounds pretty wonderful when you've got 2,000 singing it...

4. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    I swear to god that song is still playing over and over in my head. I just woke up from a nap and it was in my dreams. It won't go away!!! (thats not necessarily a bad thing)

5. DragonFly

DragonFly New Member

Dec 31, 1999
    Not the song you're talking about, but one of the other main songs of US Sections (oh, usaaaaaaa....usa, usa, usaaaaaa), is the Men Without Hats song "pop goes the world". We do a better version, though.

6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the one I was talking about ... and I can't get that out of my mind. Loved it ... and we did it another 100 times at O's after the game as well.

7. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Monty, hundreds of times may be an understatement.

It's my new favorite chant after this weekend. Easy to understand, easy to sing, easy to join in on. And loud as hell.

8. Wizhawk

Wizhawk Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went to a match at Santiago Bernabeu in Madrid a few years ago, and they did a chant over and over again that sounded a lot like the Ohhh USA, USA USA USA... chant, but I don't really remember how it went.

9. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Matt and I watched the game today on TiVo, and that chant just stands out so well. It's pretty freakin' awesome when the camera pans over the sections just in time for the section to hit "U. S. A." at the end of the "Italian" chant. But the "oh, usaaaaaaa....usa, usa, usaaaaaa" songs just kept going and going all night long. It's perfect filler when there's not another chant going, it's easy to keep going and sounds great the entire time.

10. HSV Hooligan

HSV Hooligan New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Shaker Heights, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also really liked the echo/reply chant like in Remember the Titans. I had fun on that one all night. And yeah, the "OH USA" chant was definately a nice change from just yelling U-S-A for 90 minutes. Getting better, and it would be nice to continue to come up with good ones like these. Great job to the leaders in each section relaying the chants to those behind them.

11. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes that chant is great too and you guys kept it up for quite a while, it sounded great on Telemundo! I think its good to know the origin of it, and its especially cool that its a Men Without Hats song.

Here's the song: Dario Baldan Bembo - Amico è that I think the "Italian" USA chant is based on.

12. Q Exp

Q Exp Member

Jul 29, 2004
    I could hear that "Oh, USA...USA, USA, USA" chant from Sam's Army through the TV clearly. I couldn't tell if the rest of the fans picked up on that chant. Japanese fans uses this same chant except it sounds a little different (their version is quicker). I've also heard Portuguese fans use this chant at Euro 2004. Still that chant isn't half-bad.

13. CrewBeat

CrewBeat Be Massive My Friends

Jul 27, 2004
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the song you're talking about I know as Vindaloo. Atleast that's what Andrew (buckeye5) calls it. We use it for Crew (Col-Lum-Bus, instead of USA) and for Ohio State (say OSU, instead of USA). Easily my favorite chant for all the supporters sections I'm involved in. I'll try to get him to look at this thread and see where he knows it from. he's big on implementing different chants/songs from around the world into our supporter's repetoire.

14. Luis Chavez

Luis Chavez Red Card

Jul 11, 2001
    burke, va
    actually La Norte has been Using that Chant for United for years..

It goes like

OOOH LETS GO UNITED, UNITED, UNITED
    LETS GO UNITEDDDD

It should be the same for USA but as the song gets longer the Lets go gets lost.

I recall this song originating (or at least this is where we got it) in Argentina for River Plate.

OOH VAMOS RIVER PLATE, RIVER PLATE, RIVER PLATE
    VAMOS RIVER PLATE.

There is a little part that was missed at the game though usually it sounds better if it has an intro and thats hard to do with alot of people usuall when we drum to it we first drum slowly and let the singing build up and when its sarting to crank up thats when its supposed to get WILD Confetti streamers flags everything going wild IT sounds so much better that way.

by far my favorite USA song...

15. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
  16. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a great song.

- Paul

17. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's such an easy song to learn, and Metors uses it every so often changing words around. It's that easy.

18. flmls

flmls New Member

It was great walking out of the stadium chanting that...when we all stopped in front of the CONCACAF officials and sang it to them, they were scared. hehe. THen the little kids on the walk out of the stadium loved it, the 'normal' fans started singing along as well when we got out amongst them near the gates.

Just fanfreakintastic.

19. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, I didn't realize that was Pop Goes the World until you mentioned it. I wondered why it sounded familiar! Anyway, we loved it and got our section up in 202 singing it all throughout the game.

And you know you have it stuck in your head right now, don't you?

20. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    It won't go away! But that's perfectly alright with me.

21. chinaglia

chinaglia Member

Jan 25, 1999
    Florence, SC USA
    Club:
    Motherwell FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For a new song/chant, what about the beginning of the song "swingtown" by Steve Miller? The University of Wisconsin student section sings it at football games and it is very cool.

22. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny you should say that:

OOOOOOOOOOOh
    OOOOOOOOOOOh
    We must advance!
    We must advance!
    We may not get another chance!
    You know the boyz are fighting
    and the fans are cheering
    and the Gringo's are coming to your town!
    We'll keep singing real loud
    If they keep playing real hard
    CMon Gringos!
    CMon Gringos!
    Let's Go!

Mind you, this was after the game, post O'Shaughnessy's and post Days Inn Mickey D's late nite drive thru.

23. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    This song is still in my head.

24. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That happened to me for 3 days after the Mexico game.

... and I didn't even go! It was everyones' videos... :eek: