Oh Mendy! You Came To Madrid & Stopped Our Defense From Shaking - Welcome Ferland!

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by YOUNGSTARS87, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Style

Style Member+

May 8, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    At 1.80 metres he may lack the height to dominate aerially. However, he is a physical beast that is difficult to out muscle in 1 vs 1 situations.

I still hope he improves his attacking play and competes for that LB position.

2. hala_madrid722

hala_madrid722 Member+

Jan 10, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He is a left back, this talk of moving him to a CB seems like nonsense to me.

Anon., Drouchk, Halycon and 3 others repped this.
  3. RaMaaa

RaMaaa Member+

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    What a nonsense. He is very good LB. Point is we are so spoiled with Marcelo and his attacking style.. its not easy to replace what he does up front.

Kroosinator, RMSocrates, Anon. and 7 others repped this.
  4. Halycon

Halycon Member+

Aug 24, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #154 Halycon, Nov 10, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    There is no LB out there who can replace Marcelo 1 on 1 and probably will not be seen in some years. I have never seen a LB dominating a game like he did against Bayern at home. One of the best performances I have ever seen, let alone of a defender.

People have to remember that even Marcelo in his first days here, he wasn't so advanced offensively. Mendy will produce in offensively for sure, he just needs more minutes and confidence.

5. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Nothing wrong if he has potential to be versatile. France already has a few like Lucas Hernandez and Pavard. Marcelo has taken his fitness seriously this off season. He could very well see out his contract.

6. Anon.

Anon. Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yeah agree, complete nonsense.

Drouchk and HZinho repped this.
  7. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Anon., madridista_hr and MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  8. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Both Capello and Schuster allegedly asked him if he'd rather play in attack. Marcelo has top level skills in the opponents half and always did. People just though he couldn't defend a training cone when he joined us.

9. Halycon

Halycon Member+

Aug 24, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Schuster even trusted Drenthe more as a LB, while at Feyenoord he was a left winger. Marcelo was always skillful yes, but lacked end product and that was developed through those years. Expecting the same from mendy now is unrealistic.

4x4s repped this.
  10. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    We got Marcelo as an absolute raw talent though while Mendy was I believe a France International.

I don't expect Mendy to be Marcelo, but I don't think he'll be more than a run and cross/cut player. Doesn't need to be, but we've become very used to what Marcelo did for us offensively.

11. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    IMO that was Theo, Mendy already ( again my opinion) looks a far far better player and he has technical quality too, I think he will do well in attack once he settles down, finding another Marcelo might not be possible but I think Mendy can certainly get to a good attacking level and be an allround good player for us, kind of like Alaba for Bayern, but, time will tell, let’s hope he gets some more chances so we can see what he is capable of once he’s more comfortable in the team, personally I like the look of him and his game so far.

Anon. and Halycon repped this.
  12. RMSocrates

RMSocrates Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Theo, man I almost forgot about him totally and his rocket crosses lol.

Digital repped this.
  13. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    I don’t think he’ll even be a cross player if I’m honest. He looks more like an Abidal type who is rock solid defensively but doesn’t add much going forward.

That might be ok if he’s behind Hazard, because you can then effectively leave Hazard with a free role and expect that Hazard will create more goals per game from the left flank than Mendy will concede.

But no matter how good he is defensively, at the very least he needs to be able to put a dangerous cross in.

With the departure of Ronaldo and decline of Marcelo we’ve lost two all timers on that left flank :(

14. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    I think you'll be surprised. I do have expectations of him being an above average offensive player, at least from the ability to resist pressure, and take the ball out of his own half.

Deep Pal, Ssr9, HZinho and 3 others repped this.
  15. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Glad Juande Ramos gave Marcelo minutes on the flanks and he did well as a winger that season. Schuster barely used him and club had asked him to go on loan, but Marcelo refused. Pellegrini played him as LB, but he was caught off position so many times that season. It was under Mou in 2010-11 that I started feeling that he could be decent enough defensively to start as LB. His positional awareness improved a lot under Mou.

Deep Pal repped this.
  16. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Some are judging Mendy’s attacking prowess far too early IMO

Deep Pal, HZinho, Anon. and 4 others repped this.
  17. slyyls84

slyyls84 New Member

Real Madrid
    France
    Nov 20, 2019
    totally agree.

18. Halycon

Halycon Member+

Aug 24, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Ferland TANK Mendy.

Deep Pal, Anon., HZinho and 3 others repped this.
  19. HZinho

HZinho Member+

Apr 2, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I'm very impressed, as I have been from the very start. This is a rock of a player, gives us so much comfort it's unreal. The way it looks now, 50M well freakin spent.

His attacking game? I actually think he's getting more and more comfortable and is looking already quite good. Once he starts getting these balls from teammates when he makes those surging runs, he's going to have a massive impact. Unfair to compare him to a left back such as Marcelo, who has changed the LB-position in general in such a radical way (like Alves did for that RB spot) and is one of the greatest LBs of all time (definitely the most fun to watch). Mendy is just a different type of player.

20. hala_madrid722

hala_madrid722 Member+

Jan 10, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Mendy is also very good with both feet. I’ve seen him spray long passes with both the left & right foot. Good to see...

Anon. and Drouchk repped this.
  21. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Ferland Mendy’s 9 La Liga starts, we’ve kept 7 clean sheets.

We may have found a defensive stalwart

Anon., yoanaidarov, Doni and 1 other person repped this.
  22. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    And slowly showing his phenomenal dribbling skills. He needs to stay healthy.

Bear Crotch, Anon., Doni and 2 others repped this.
  23. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Have to give new players time, even the best need it, some were already saying all he seems to do is run fast, but IMO that was Theo, he already looked much better to me, much more than just a runner, strong defensively and decent with the ball at his feet

Zidane05, MiamiNative0722 and Anon. repped this.
  24. Anon.

Anon. Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Just based on his physical attributes and engine alone, he’ll be a role model for others in training and during matches.

MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  25. RMrules

RMrules Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 12, 2019
    he is so strong in defence and pretty bad in attack,he looks like a perfect player for Simeones Atletico:)but he fits so well at Real ,after Pepe left the team missed such a beast in defence