Oh Danny Boy, the goals the goals are calling

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by liverbird, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Donfather

Donfather Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Get rid of the players that BR will not use regularly I.e. Borini, Balo and lambert and spend the chunk of the cash on a top striker...aquire better coaching particularly in defence and let BR play his attacking style

CB-West repped this.
  2. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Last season we put all of our eggs into the Sturridge basket and it was a disaster. We've learned our lesson that you need at least 4 capable strikers in the squad. Ings can be one of the 4 for minimal money, so we can spend the big cash on that quality striker you speak of.

Red Bird and liverbird repped this.
  3. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    curious choice by the video maker to use the "peephole" filter.

AndSomeAreAngels repped this.
  4. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll take 10 more just like that. May he go on to have a long fruitful career with the Reds.

CB-West repped this.
  5. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    So he scores with his head, he scores with both feet, off crosses, from breakaways, some good control in the box, some first time volleys...from the vid that AndSomeAreAngels posted, I'd say he looks like a great signing...won't ask him to take our PK's right away though...not a fan of the shot straight up the middle...

Additionally, he's got a good work rate, a good head on his shoulders, a good attitude, puts the team first, etc - from what PooPoo says - again he looks like a great signing.

I'm not ready to hand him the keys to the castle, but I am willing to take him on and welcome him to the Reds.

I don't think he's meant to be our first-team striker (he might grow into that) but in my mind he is a serviceable backup, again, with a lot of potential.

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  6. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Serious question: Does anyone here really believe we are going to splash big cash on a striker?

7. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. But my fear is that it will be Benteke who just doesn't seem to fit BRs "style" of play. And I think he's a good player myself - just feel like he is a combo or Carroll and Balotelli and Lambert - not really what we want.

soccershaggy and speker repped this.
  8. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #33 speker, Jun 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
    That is indeed the $64,000 question,US. I think we have the cash and I think we'll try .Hopefully its not Benteke,for the reasons newterp stated above but we desperately need to add someone as good or better than Sturridge. If we start the season with only injury prone Sturridge backed up by two raw young ,far from the finished articles Origi,Ings I think we'll struggle again next season.

9. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Here's piece by TAW on the search for another striker.

BUYING A NEW LIVERPOOL STRIKER: THE KNOWLEDGE GAP

MOST conversations between footie fans end up boiling down to the same thing: the aspiration, the reality and the unexplained gap that lies in between.
    What fills that gap — the knowledge of what really happens behind walls, in boardrooms, on training pitches, in conversation, on email, over phones — is influenced by all kinds: conjecture, rumour, analysis, stats, history, expectation, one-eyed football fandom, agent talk, click bait, football club politics….take your pick.
    It’s a maelstrom that is intriguing and frustrating in equal measure. Ultimately, it’s always there, never sated, always yearning: the unknown — what could have been and what might be. How it can change. How it can get better. It’s worse than ever when there is no actual football to get stuck into; the limbo of the close season.
    Take Liverpool’s search for a ‘top’ striker for example; a certain starter — the 30-goal a season man.

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2015/06/buying-a-new-liverpool-striker-the-knowledge-gap/

10. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good stuff, thanks.

11. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Its a crap shoot guys...sure you can buy a top striker, who is a good player, and might score you a boat load of goals...(but he might not either)...you can also call up a young striker from your academy, who might break into the first team and score a bunch of goals...but he might fizzle after five games just as easily...

That's the reality of football...I believe that another reality of football is that good teams take time to become great teams. They are not made overnight. Good players take time to "fit in" with other players (even Suarez was not "great" the first couple years he was with us)...the time it takes to become great can be frustrating - that is where I think we are now...in the balance of good, but not great...not yet - hopefully we continue to become better, but there are going to be setbacks along the way...manage those setbacks and make sure the next step is forward...

Sorry - don't know how this came out on the Welcome Danny Ings thread...maybe just that he is a step in the right direction???

12. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #37 hubbabubba, Jun 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2015

Well I guess the welcome Danny Ings thread might have become the "can BR develop effective strikers" thread...

I've been traveling a bit, but while I was sitting in an airport lounge decided to look into how BR had done when taking over teams, and with regard to his history with developing strikers. I'm going to present some statistics that I collected.. These are based on wikipedia, and I guess I want to make sure that these are what to be best of my ability are what I found. They my might differ if others use different datasets, but this is what I found.

Okay, so I'll just upload what I collected:
    Swansea 2009/10 37 goals against (40 goals for) under Paulo Sousa
    Swansea 2010/11 42 goals against (69 goals for)
    Swansea 2011/12 51 goals against (44 goals for)
    Liverpool 2011/12 40 goals against (47 goals for) under Kenny Dalglish
    Liverpool 2012/13 43 goals against (71 goals for)
    Liverpool 2013/14 50 goals against (101 goals for)
    Liverpool 2014/15 48 goals against (52 goals for)

Take home: At both Swansea and Liverpool seasons under Rodgers results in progressively worse goals against numbers. Unlikely to change suddenly next year. If we will stick with Rodgers will need to return to goal scoring prowess observed in 2013/2014 season for increased performance.

Where have Rodgers teams gotten goals from?

Swansea Leading Goalscorers:
    Scott Sinclair (2010-2012) 82 appearances 28 goals
    Nathan Dyer (2009-2015) 105 apps 7 goals (under rodgers 2009-2011 game/goals unchanged))
    Gylffi Sigurdsson (2012 loan) 18 apps 7 goals
    Darren Pratley (2007-2011) 76 apps 18 goals (under Rodgers 2009-2011 game/goals significantly increased)

Outright Strikers:
    Gorka Pintado (2008-2011) 73 apps 7 goals (unclear when these goals scored)
    Steven Dobbie (2009-2012) 57 apps 14 goals (under Rodgers in 2010 and 2011)
    Luke Moore (2011-2013) 2 apps 3 goals (under Rodgers in 2011)
    Danny Graham (2011-2013) 39 apps 14 goals (under Rodgers in 2011)
    Craig Beattie (2009-2012) 46 apps 7 goals (under Rodgers 2009-2011)
    Leroy Lita (2009-2014) 18 apps 2 goals (multiple loans after 2011)
    Fabio Borini (2011) 9 apps 6 goals
    Kerry Morgan (2007-2011) 3 apps 0 goals
    Casey Tomas (2009-2012) 1 app 0 goals (multiple loans)

Take home: Rodgers has never gotten consistent goals from his striker options. At Swansea the vast majority were from Scott Sinclair and Darren Pratley, both who were attacking midfielders, with Sinclair mostly playing as a winger. Probably the most significant observation is that Rodgers doesn’t appear to have a history of successfully developing or utilizing his striking options. Either they come in already working or they don’t. More often than not, they don’t.

Liverpool Strikers:
    Luis Suarez:
    (2005–2006) Nacional 27 apps 10 goals
    (2006–2007) Groningen 29 apps 10 goals
    (2007–2011) Ajax 110 apps 81 goals
    (2011–2014) Liverpool 110 apps 69 goals
    (2014-2015) Barcelona 27 apps 16 goals
    Games/Goals ratios: 2.7:1(2005-2006), 2.9:1(2006-2007), 1.4:1(2007-2011), 2.3:1 (2011-2012), 1.5:1 (2012-2013), 1.2:1 (2013-2014), 1.7:1

Daniel Sturridge:
    (2006–2009) Manchester City 21 apps 5 goals
    (2009–2013) Chelsea 63 apps 13 goals
    (2011) Bolton Wanderers (loan) 12 apps 8 goals
    (2013–2015) Liverpool 55 apps 35 goals
    Games/Goals ratios: 4.2:1 (2006-2009), 4.8:1 (2009-2013), 1.5:1(2011), 1.6:1(2013-2015)

Take home: In both the cases of Suarez and Sturridge, they had already demonstrated glimpses of their scoring prowess prior to coming into Rodgers team. Also, importantly, neither are strictly speaking central strikers. Instead both are more likely to attack from wide positions or run into the penalty area from deeper attacking positions.

So, is it really a "crap shoot" with regards to whether a striker will be effective under Rodgers? I don't think so. I think that Rodgers does not develop strikers per se. He can develop wide attacking midfielders, but he has no track record of utilizing the traditional "central striker" model of player. This appears to be born out by the relative inability of Rodgers to utilize Carroll, or Lambert effectively.

If Liverpool just needs to add goals to be successful under Rodgers, really the question then becomes... how many Suarezes should we expect to uncover?

EruditeHobo, Twenty26Six and ryered repped this.
  13. oikos

oikos Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Glastonbury, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think on loan Borini scored more goals than our other strikers this year. Don't know what happened to him when he gets in front of the net in a LFC kit. The only thing Ings has over Borini is he's not Italian. It's like olive oil and water for Italians at LFC

14. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    excellent analysis / stats, hubba. thanks for this.

My view is that Bren has one more season to prove himself, and it could be a challenge for him looking at that track record - more fuel to the "we need a TOP striker, now" chorus. if the club can get the right balance / mix of support staff, maybe that's what he's been missing in previous jobs. or .... maybe he's the type of manager who can inspire for the short term but wears out his dressing-room welcome after a while i.e. the players become deaf to his instructions.

15. LiverpoolFanatic

Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ings should be in the line up for the U21 match against Belarus later. IIRC he'll partner Kane.

16. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Good , I'll be sure to watch this.

Canucks, please note Sportsnetworld is showing the game @ 2:30PM.

17. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Eh.

It's a big leap to compare Lambert and Carroll to Suarez and Sturridge.

Lambert was never meant to lead the line.

Carroll has scored 14 in 51 after leaving, which is not a bad strike rate, but he's also injured all the time.

Rodgers has had 2 top quality strikers to work with since coming to Liverpool and he's gotten the best out of both of them.
    The simple fact is, that if you want to be a consistent top 4 team in the EPL you need a top quality striker.

We have one but he's constantly injured, so we need to go out and identify another and sign him.

Just like every other top club does.

Arsenal's top two guys scored 30 goals last season (Sanchez, Giroud).

Ours scored 16 (Gerrard and Sterling) - Gerrard is gone and Sterling possibly too.

So we need to pray Sturridge gets healthy and we need to sign a guaranteed 15 goal a season striker.

Otherwise next season is going to be very familiar.

CB-West repped this.
  18. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Back to Ings:

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...rpool-summer-transfer-move.html#ixzz3dnEodYCD

Good luck to the kid.

19. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Shit, another "Why don't Liverpool buy Messi and Ronaldo" f- ckin thread

Roll on 8th of August.

20. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    didn't watch it, but heard that he had a good showing in the u21 game against portugal?

21. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Danny Ings is wary of taking a historically significant Liverpool shirt number and insists he must earn the right to wear one of those worn by Anfield greats over the years.

Ings, part of the England Under-21 squad who are playing in the European Championship in the Czech Republic, will wear the No28 shirt when he joins fromBurnley on 1 July, in part because of the pressure of stepping into the shoes of Steven Gerrard et al.

“I stayed away from the low numbers,” the 22-year-old said of his selection. “You have got to take that pressure off yourself as a young lad coming through. That is what I personally think.”

The No7 shirt worn by Kevin Keegan, Kenny Dalglish, Peter Beardsley and Luis Suárez and the No9 shirt that Ian St John, Ian Rush and Robbie Fowler have donned are traditionally the Liverpool numbers most associated with the weight of history. Gerrard’s career means the No8 has added significance and his departure to LA Galaxy means his number, in addition to the No7 vacated by Suárez last summer, is now available.

Ings, though, who wore the No10 with Burnley, has no interest in taking either just yet. “I would make sure I am established before taking any of those numbers,” he said. “It is such a huge club. That was the thinking behind it. I wouldn’t want to go to Liverpool and chuck a shirt on my back like that … it is pressure you don’t need. The expectation at clubs like that is huge. Obviously I am going to work my socks off to earn that number one day. For now I will take a high number and work hard.”

The transfer fee taking him from Turf Moor to Anfield has yet to be finalised, with Liverpool expecting to pay between £5m-6m and Burnley holding out for something closer to £10m. An independent tribunal will decide on the price if the clubs cannot come to an arrangement.

The disagreement means the move will be slightly more protracted than it could have been. For Ings, though, the potential for a change of scene has been long in the pipeline, beginning with his decision not to sign a new contract at Burnley last summer.

“I knew about my contract situation at the start of the season,” he said. “I had a big decision to make whether to sign a new contract or not. I sat down with my family and agent and we came up with I was going to hold out.

“I had quite a strong season, but obviously we went down and I was gutted. But I thought I did enough to get myself a good move and the next step, and another challenge. It is a challenge I am really looking forward to and I can’t wait to get going.”

Ings has twice impressed as a substitute for England in the Under-21 Championship and could have done enough to force himself into Gareth Southgate’s plans for their make-or-break final group game against Italy on Wednesday. Southgate’s side play with a lone striker in the shape of Harry Kane and thus far Tom Carroll and Will Hughes have been preferred in the starting XI in the role just behind the Tottenham striker.

Ings would perhaps offer a more attacking option at No10 but he is happy to wait for his chance. “That is the competition you want for any side, club or country,” he said.

“You need that competition to push each other along to perform better. We did that against Sweden. Everyone came on and made an impact. That is what the manager needs. You can’t have players come on and not make the impact because the game will slowly slip away from you. It is important you are ready.”

Southgate’s three substitutes against Sweden did indeed help turn the tide, with Ruben Loftus-Cheek and Jesse Lingard also impressing. The latter’s 85th-minute winner means England go into their final game in the same Andruv Stadium in Olomouc knowing a win will to take them through to the semi-finals for the first time since 2009. A draw may be enough but it would leave them relying on Sweden failing to beat Portugal, which kicks off simultaneously.

liverbird repped this.
  22. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Like this kids attitude:

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-holiday-short-bid-impress.html#ixzz3dypQPqRT

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  23. LiverpoolFanatic

Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Danny Ings can have a chat with Raheem...

MetroChile, Wingtips1 and USvsIRELAND repped this.
  24. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    [​IMG]

LiverpoolFanatic and USvsIRELAND repped this.
  25. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Liverpool have confirmed summer signing Danny Ings will wear the No.28 jersey for the club.

liverbird repped this.