Offseason- THIS team's news

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by propnut27, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. propnut27

propnut27 Member

Barcelona, Tottenham Hotspur
    Germany
    Mar 15, 2009
    Naples Fl.
    Club:
    --other--
    I note the presence of a thread about other teams news, but very little about THIS teams news. After a diligent search of the web I discover that the reason for this is that THERE IS NO NEWS FROM THIS TEAM.

I wonder just what the hell is going on with the Revs FO and coaching staff, and what, if anything, has been going on since the playoffs ended for us. Should have been SOME activity. It's not as though we won anything last season.

I note that the team's truly lamentable blog just mentioned that the "2010 season has truly begun."

How can they tell? What are the indicators that there is any activity going on at all? Certainly there is nothing discernable happening, on any front.

There is no PR activity going on. No aquisitions occured. No departures of any consequence announced. No moves. Period.

I, for one, would like to ask what, if anything, the people in administrative positions are doing to justify their reportedly meager paychecks.

If the 2010 season really is under way, why haven't we heard a g** d*** thing about it? It's not as though we're not listening.

I'm going to the combine this weekend. Perhaps some of the coaching and management staff might show up, if they've heard about it, and I could ask them WTF Is the plan.

Is there a plan?

This stonewallling crap is simply unacceptable.

1 person likes this.
  2. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the hell are you talking about- they are doing nothing?! I got a nice new calendar and a nice letter. The logo on calendar could use more rivets though. :D

3. propnut27

propnut27 Member

Barcelona, Tottenham Hotspur
    Germany
    Mar 15, 2009
    Naples Fl.
    Club:
    --other--
    OOOppps!
    Your right. My bad.

4. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well we've lost Heaps, cut Assengue, lost our backup goalie, missing Reis and Ralston till May probably (at the earliest), have no idea about Twellman, and could lose Ginger ... other than that...
    [​IMG]
    Of course, I'm just bitter... :rolleyes:

5. peabrainedidiot

peabrainedidiot New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hey Mr. Negative,
    Relax. We have the draft coming up in a few days. We'll be fine. That's all we've ever needed before.

:cool:

:eek:

:(

6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As was noted in Jim Dow's article ... we currently know three starters going into our season opener in 11.5 weeks: Alston, Barnes and Joseph.

Edit to add: I'm waiting for the annual "Well there's 11 weeks till the season opener" comments ...

7. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---and this is your annual cry slagging Rev Central and positing all manner of negative outcomes due to their apparent inactivity during the offseason. :D

The more things change the more they stay the same.

8. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting that nothing happened in Revs history between playing their first game and the appointment of Steve Nicol.

9. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strange, I don't remember that many questions for starting players going into last season? Or the year before. Or the year before.

10. Coach_Barry

Coach_Barry Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes:

Monty, I think you should resign in protest.

11. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually agree. Usually we get something by this time of the year. The only news have been players leaving, or rumored to be leaving. It's starting to make me wonder why I put a deposit down for season tickets if they aren't going to let their fans know they are trying to plug the huge holes in their lineup. Did they forget it's us who pay their salaries?

12. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    Didn't Nicol already have a couple of trips under his belt at this point last year?

We better have one hell of a draft.

13. peabrainedidiot

peabrainedidiot New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    seriously....

although didn't we hear he did make 1 trip back in early to mid dec or am I making this up in desperate hope and utter denial of reality?:confused:

14. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Or a dynamite swing through the Africa Cup of Nations.

15. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To sum it up, in the words of Kyle McCarthy:

"Not too much on the Revs front...but here's what has gone on since Heaps retired..."
    "Osei = back for year two on permanent deal, Dube/Mansally/Nyassi = extended, Badilla = shopping in CR, Ralston = holding pattern."
    "Nicol also signed an extension to his deal. Club searching for temporary Reis replacement and new assistant coach."
    "I'm sure Nicol will go on a scouting trip. I can say for certain it won't be over the next two weeks with draft stuff."
    "I can almost hear SN saying he'd like to strengthen in every department. Left back, goalkeeper, central mid, forward most likely."

Sums up the Revs' offseason in less than 700 characters.

16. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That sounds to me like the Revs have a plan. :D

17. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Revs are quiet about Nicol's scouting trips. If there is no one at Foxboro to report on the Revs then no one knows he's gone. I'm pretty certain he makes a lot of trips in the offseason to scout players.

I hope the team realizes that they will need to make a lot of moves and that the picks in the draft minus the first rounder should be those competing for the 2nd and 3rd player off the bench, not starting positions.

18. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revs' offseason plan summed up on one sentence: "We should probably try and fill those gaping holes in our line up, one way or another."

19. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's going to be a tough year if it's 3rd and 4th rounders filling those holes.

20. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My own personal litmus test for the offseason:

Wells Thompson
    Pat Phelan
    Chris Tierney
    Kheli Dube*

Barring injury to players who aren't already injured, if any of them are in the starting lineup on Opening Night, I'll consider the offseason to have been a disappointment.

* Dube gets a pass if he's paired with a forward who is NOT a Draft Pick and who is NOT Taylor Twellman.

21. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's more than reasonable, but I wouldn't bet serious money on anyone other than Tierney at this point...

22. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How else would you phrase a plan at the "intention" phase of the process?

23. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Wouldn't it be easier to resurrect the same post from any previous year at this time?

Every year there's this hue and cry about inactivity, complacency, ... at this time of year. No one likes to hear it, but they're going about their work *quietly*.

Last year they knew they needed to go out and get players and they did. The year before, ditto.
    Last year everyone was freaking out about needing a central defender.

The year before it was something else, more defensive concerns IIRC.

It's the beginning of the annual Revolution winter fan "sky-is-falling-freak-out".
    Seriously, how can they not?

I know, some people will actually think that Nicol and company are going to yawn their way into the season. But, the history of the last few years shows that they are very active this time of year scouting players and have been *very* aware of their needs and the urgency of filling them.

24. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wrong thread Bryan ;)

25. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005