Official: Ty please quit thread

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by banbaseball, Aug 2, 2003.

1. banbaseball

banbaseball Member

Oct 10, 2000
    East of the Bay
    after another splendid display by Ty Moron Keough today at the AStar match, i think he finally deserves his own thread. so that i and all of my brethren can finally have a place to talk shite about him after every espn broadcast.

so this is for you Ty.
    shut the Fu$k up, you loser. i don't care if your mother was born on pluto, the next time you beyond basically root against the US or MLS, i'm going to hire a sniper to wait outside your door. you're a disgrace and i'm so sick of hearing your dumb, obvious, remarks when i watch a game. you're lucky waldo's there because at least listening to him totally shoot down everything you say, makes having you in the booth, well, funny. you're an idiot. when i told ABC to fire the annoucer for the world cup, i meant YOU, you idiot, not Jack. the only reason jack sounded like a moron sometimes was to balance out the fact that you sounded like a complete joke.

2. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    How about this turn down the sound, and put a cd loud with your favorite music and then watch the game.

That is what I do or bring back Shamus Malin I loved that high brow discriptive language that he loved to use. Remember Romarios half volley goal against the Dutch in WC 1994? Malin called that goal "Sheer elegance" and that is exactly what that strike and goal was.

Richie

3. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    How about Curt Gowdy?

4. SoccerApe

SoccerApe New Member

5. O'Dubhghaill Rules!

May 21, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I like how he opened the broadcast with:
    "Preki isn't going through a midlife crisis at 40."

Thanks Ty. :rolleyes:

6. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    Ty rules. He's definitely an acquired taste, but I know I will actually miss him when he's gone. I used to be the biggest Ty basher on these boards. But now I'm a convert. Listen long enough, and you, too, will worship at the Church of Ty.

He's not as good without Jack, though. Those two -- goofy and unprofessional and annoying as they were -- actually had a pretty good repoire.

"12 ounces at a time."

7. Toolhead

Toolhead Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    How bout his failure to even mention DMB's hustle to get back and put pressure on the Chivas attacker on that first half break-away? He gave all the credit to Hartman, while neglecting Beasley contribution. If it weren't for DMB's presence the Chivas forward would have had time to round Hartman or more accurately strike his shot.

8. trickyfool

trickyfool New Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Orlando, FL
    My favorite Ty quote of the game:

"Of course Nelsen has no problems adjusting in midfield, he's from New Zealand"

Would someone please explain to me what being from New zealand has to do with a player's ability to adapt in midfield???????

Wynalda's reply was pretty priceless as well, "Well, they're always mixing it up"

9. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    That's not what he said. He said he has no trouble mixing it up, because he's from New Zealand. New Zealand is famous for their Rugby, which involves mixing it up. Made sense to me. 'Course, he failed the mention that Nelsen sucked today.

10. Poet

Poet Member+

Mar 13, 2001
    Toledo, Ohio
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ty is awesome. He deserves an award. Here you go Ty. Put one foot on this and be very still...

[​IMG]

Just kiddin Ty:)

Serioulsy though, is it just me or does it seem that Ty and Waldo don't like each other much? It always seems as though Ty and Waldo go out of their way to disagree with one another, not just in this game either.

11. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, Ty does need to go. Also, I didn't like JP doing the commentary either. Infact the only bright spot in yesterdays commentary was Wynalda, who kept saying the stuff that I wanted to hear.

Also, when Ty started complementing Mathis, I lost it.

12. Hattrix

Hattrix Member

Sep 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Oh, my! Why Ty? That guy should die.

Ty Keough and Eric Wynalda don't get along much. See, Wynalda understands the game, and Ty doesn't. So Eric has the same problem with Ty that the rest of us have.

The change in philosophy regarding the broadcasting of soccer has been mentioned elsewhere on these boards. I think its time for Americans to hear the game discussed on its merits, rather than ALWAYS being introduced to the game. Ty is fine for Soccer 101, but after eight years of MLS, I think we could be promoted to some more upperclass analysis.

As for turing the sound down, then we don't get to hear all those fucking horns. The fact is that we have all heard better analysis. We know it's possible, so why should we be content with having such a doofus comment to us about the league?

13. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    Its hard to listen to Ty. There is very little that he says that I care to hear. In reality the problem is that many US soccer commentators, especially TY, make it seem like they are reading from a script. They are to structured, too business-like and oddly enough too analytical. Ty needs to breathe, relax and go with the flow and stop trying to be NFL like.

14. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Ty rules. I'm sure they both get along. They carpool together.

15. grumpydcu

grumpydcu Member

Jan 1, 2002
    MD
    Ty is terrible. He constantly says 3-4 times as much as is needed to make his point. As was pointed out above, he would be great in Soccer 101 but his endless rambling is beyond annoying. Especially annoying is his prolonged debate about every play that could remotely be offside. Please shut up.

I have been using the mute button when he starts but I do enjoy the crowd noise and the other announcers, ...well not really JB.

Unfortunately, no matter what is said here Ty has something incriminating on the ESPN brass and no changes are likely.

16. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    Man you need a double dose o DOXIDAN (LAXATIVE) you are about to explode!!

17. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Just to say I thought the telecast by FSW of the Italian Super Cup and later the Man U vs Barca game was probably the best production of matches I've seen from an American broadcaster.

I liked Max Bretos and especially Glenn Davis on the commentary. Giorgio can be a bit grating, and the pbp guys were trying way to hard to be buddy-buddy with him (The championsworld employee), but he had some reasonable observations as well.

It was just miles away from what I had seen the day before with the all-star match.

Wynalda and Ty seem to be competing for a job openly - which is poor form. I liked Balboa much better than the others - and please give me Rob Stone over JP

(none of the above deals with the production issues that also plague MLS telecasts).

18. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Wow if you let someones commentary of the game effect it that much then I don't know how much of a soccer fan you really are. Get over it.

19. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Another problem with Ty is that he's not that good as a Soccer101 guy. During the second half of the All-Star game he noted that the MLS team was finding consistency by having 5 Galaxy players and 5 Fire players on the field. He mentioned Hejduk as the only non-member of those teams. No one corrected Ty by stating that Donovan was out there.

It's tough to listen to Keough -- he's just not very knowledgeable and others would be a better option for color commentary.

20. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    I should qualify my praise of the Super Cup production by noting that someone gave Glenn the wrong info on golden vs silver goal, so that made for a rather awkward moment. Even with that though,he recovered well and they moved on with enthusiasm.

21. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    'celo was a major pleasant surprise. His voice is the best of all those that broadcast Saturday, well maybe JP has the classic "choke & puke" DJ voice, but 'celo sounded natural, smoooth, coherent and actually had something to say. I think he'd be a fine color man, if one performance can form an opinion...

Kevin

22. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look in the mirror the next time you say this.

While Ty has his flaws (almost every broadcaster has flaws), I think he does a pretty good job. He has good knowledge of the game, great enthusiasm, and his comments are usually astute.

Does he ever get on my nerves? Yes, but almost every American sports broadcaster gets on my nerves at one time or another. It's part of the business.

Some of those English announcers for the EPL games never get on my nerves, because they shut up and let the game speak for itself. That is very English. In America, announcers seem to have a need to keep their mouths going.

That being said, Ty is the least of my worries.

23. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    New Ty Game

I have discovered a new Ty game. You will need a tape of a game he is commentating on. Once the game gets going - hit Fast forward. Then arbitrarily stop and play - you are almost always guaranteed to hear him in mid sentence blabbing about something. Fast forward...play...hear Ty in mid sentence again.

Probably could make a good drinking game out of this.

24. joeyclams

joeyclams Member

Apr 16, 2001
    Denver, CO
    If you get a chance, check out the HDNet broadcasts. Celo is the lead color guy and does an good job.

25. joeyclams

joeyclams Member

Apr 16, 2001
    Denver, CO
    If you get a chance, check out the HDNet broadcasts. Celo is the lead color guy and does a good job.