Official Tommy Thompson Thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by fadedtoblack, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Golazo69

Golazo69 Member+

Aug 2, 2017
    Lots of ridiculous hot takes on tommy in here lol, he’s primed for a great year. He isn’t slow, and he’s proven he is an mls level player, he proved it years ago. He was our most exciting player in a good few games last year, and is a very hard worker. Exactly the kind of young American player quakes fans should be getting excited about, not ripping on

2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Thanks for that. I totally agree. I just worry this year that he's not going to get a lot of chance to play and the momentum he had last season will grind down a bit. We'll see how it plays out.

3. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    After Leach took over there was at least 3 games where Tommy looked like the best player on the field for EITHER team. To say he’s not MLS level is ridiculous

4. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tommy is great!

Part of the reason I want to see us play a 3-5-2 is to get Flo at d-mid, Jackson as a d-mid and box to box kind of guy, and TT as our offensive maestro.

More Tommy! Less bullshit.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

Sactown Soccer, xbhaskarx and JazzyJ repped this.
  5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Free Play Day with Tommy this weekend in downtown San Jose:

"Join us on Sunday, February 18th from 1-2pm at Roosevelt Park for the San José Earthquakes Free Play Day!

"The Quakes and Valley Health Plan have partnered up this season to host a series of Free Play days across the Bay Area. This event is for children ages 5-11 years old. This fun filled day will consist of a player meet and greet with Quakes Midfielder Tommy Thompson! Free Play days are for kids to get out and play with no pressure or coaching. Participants will be given a Quakes giveaway. Parents are welcome to stay and join in the conversation with a Quakes guest speaker on youth health and wellness.

"Registration begins at 12:30pm. You will need to bring water, cleats or tennis shoes and shin guards. The rest of the equipment will be provided. A free lunch and swag will also be provided!

"Please make sure to register at the link below as there is only space for 100 children.

https://sjearthquakes.formstack.com/forms/free_play_day

"We hope to see you there!"

6. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JazzyJ showing up to this event like an actor playing a kid on a Spanish telenovela...
    [​IMG]

7. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That's strong X..haha...thought it was booji boy at first glance.

bsman repped this.
  8. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    How'd you know? I was thinking about how to pass as a 5-11 year old so that I can teach TT some tricks, or maybe how to shoot. My odometer has pretty much turned over so I'm back to 6 yo again. Maybe that'll get me in.

DotMPP and xbhaskarx repped this.
  9. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's from Arrested Development... El Amor Prohibido

chris thebassplayer repped this.
  10. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #2160 bsman, Feb 15, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    I've been listening to a lot of Devo lately. Somehow, it seems topical again...
    [​IMG]

chris thebassplayer repped this.
  11. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just hope Jazzy can make it there on time.

[​IMG]

don gagliardi repped this.
  12. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    were you there at Spartan, Lollapalooza '96, when they performed alongside Soundgarden, Metallica, Ramones, Rancid, etc.? They were great that day but so funny to see these old rockers (like me now) literally turn their backs on them...Devo are great.

13. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    btw, I'd love to see TT build on his "break out" season last season. skeptical? doubtful? feeling like we've seen this movie before? indeed. but still hoping he can change my mind.

14. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Young, handsome guy, brave, cowboy boots, no carbon footprint transportation, yep, that's me. :ninja:

Quakes05 and Earthshaker repped this.
  15. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And tassels, Jazzy, don't forget the tassels!:D

16. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Tassels da bomb.

[​IMG]

17. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    It will be tough for TT to build on his last year's season because there is a new DP playing in his spot, and Leitch, who was pretty bullish on TT, is no longer coach. The reason he started producing last year was that he finally got a decent number of consistent minutes, and the coach wasn't going to bench him for 15 games upon his first "mistake". He was encouraged to play.

But this year minutes will be hard to come by for him. Music to your ears I'm sure.

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So if Tommy doesn't have a breakout year this year or if he doesn't become a full fledged starter, will that spell the end for him with the Quakes?

19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #2169 JazzyJ, Feb 15, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    I don't think so. He's still only 22, and the Quakes FO seems to like to have him around for his marketability. It'll be a good test case for the Quakes supposed commitment to youth. Are they willing to make sure young developing players get minutes, or are they just going to give the veterans as much time as possible? And of course it is up to him to play well to make that decision easier.

TBH he hasn't looked great in preseason so far. Not bad, but not great. He looks a little sluggish and reluctant to shoot - more "afraid to make a mistake", like he played under Kinnear. He did get the assist against RSL though, and did take a volley shot at the end of the last game.

20. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I haven't been very impressed with him either, although he's been playing mostly with people he's had very little experience with, many of whom have no real MLS experience yet. Hard to draw conclusions from that.

As for whether he can find a starting spot, it seems doubtful. There's currently no room for him to start unless he seriously outperforms Eriksson or Vako, both of which seem unlikely. The good new for him is that Vako is unlikely to go 90 minutes in most games, opening up a consistent sub position. He then basically has to prove himself over Hyka, who's also looked very shaky in preseason.

21. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TT's playing with far less risk/flair than he used to (likely thanks to Dom's poor influence)... we need free style TT time for him to gain more playing time me thinks.

22. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #2172 JazzyJ, Feb 15, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    Yeah it took Leitch's encouragement to break him out of "conservative" mode. Not sure how Stahre will coach him. So far we've heard "be creative in the final 3rd". Well, duh, it's low risk and you have to find a way to score, of course you need creativity in the final 3rd. It's really more about the "tweener" space between say midfield and top of final 3rd. That's where TT normally receives the ball.

23. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I hear you. I practically wore out two copies of the first album. Gut feeling is one of my all time faves. I saw them at the Warfield in 81. My sister saw them at the Mab in 77 or 78...one of the best shows she's ever seen...total chaos.

bsman repped this.
  24. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Goodsport