OFFICIAL The DC United World Cup Discussion Thread [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Q*bert Jones III, Jun 5, 2018.

1. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Most likely it was "unloaded" to help Russia and no one ever saw England coming. Tangled web etc.

Winoman repped this.
  2. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    by this, I assume you mean the British soccer calendar? There are far too many differences in everyone's schedules for there to be anything remotely considered "an international calendar" - usually based on weather in the specific country one plays in, not halfway across the globe somewhere.
    The thought of basically two seasons with a long (winter) break between them may not be the absolute dumbest thing some soccer people in the US talk about (that would be pro/rel ;)) but it's sure as hell way up there.

As he's been rumored/promised to be doing for months - when you work for the brand, you try to move up within the brand.

3. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    That's a worse move than Hamid's. What's he thinking?

4. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I don't see it as a bad move for Marsch. He's staying inside the Red Bull organization so it's not like he's going out on a limb, venturing into the unknown. Leipzig has one of the strongest youth setups and one of the strongest scouting departments in Europe right now. Not a bad place to learn the ropes of European soccer.

Also, look at it this way. If Marsch separates from Red Bull one day, he'll have no trouble coming back to MLS. He'll be like Bob Bradley ... he'll likely be able to pick his destination and demand one of the highest salaries in the league.

Winoman, Dizi, benni... and 1 other person repped this.
  5. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And this is a promotion? Isn't he a typical monolingual Yank? After grooming at Leipzig, where does he go next in the RB world - Salzburg?

6. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not necessarily sure if it's a good move, but RBL are a Champs League team from Germany...that's pretty high in the soccer world.

sitruc and NicktheGreek repped this.
  7. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, from successful MLS head coach to German assistant coach might be considered a lateral move in reality, but it only works for Marsch if it's a stepping stone back to head coach somewhere, IMO. I presume Marsch only speaks English, and I know that most Europeans speak it as a second or third language, but it still seems puzzling to me. Bob Bradley didn't fall back to assistant when he went to Norway, France, and Wales. To be fair, I doubt that he spoke Norwegian, French, or Welsh:)

8. Dizi

Dizi Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Bob Bradley had time with USMNT and Egypt NT in his resumé. He would never have to step "down" to become an assistant somewhere. Age/experience also played a part...people overseas respected his long coaching track record.

Marsch has none of those things going for him. I'm surprised folks are so surprised.

Theopisa repped this.
  9. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    This is what Ben needs to do, but who would want him?

10. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Ben should go be an assistant at Richmond Kickers ...

onefineesq, Dizi and Theopisa repped this.
  11. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
  12. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I've been done with these coaches since 2012 ... Beyond redemption IMO

To get back on topic, I wonder if Roberto Martinez stays on at Belgium? He always struck me as the type of coach who would find his way to MLS one day

Dizi and benni... repped this.
  13. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    After today, France has to be the favorite. Belgium is a good team, but neither DeBruyne nor Hazard could figure out how to break down that low block. Didn't help that Dembele has a day to forget, but France can play disciplined football and they are absolutely lethal on the counter. Between England and Croatia, I think Croatia has a ""better"" chance against France. I also think that two 120 minute matches in a row means Croatia is a spent bullet at this point. England v. France in the final, and, of course, England will win because --- it's that type of tournament. One of the best I've seen in many a year.

Dizi and Winoman repped this.
  14. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Can you say with certainty that his US coaching credentials are equivalent to those in Germany? They may look at us the way American trained doctors look at MDs from Cuba..

Boloni86 repped this.
  15. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Pogba surprised me, fine defending. France earned the spotlight, good on them. I still like the Croats over the Brits, a bridge too far and all that rot doncha know? Tired don't count, they either go for the jugular and put the English away early, or head for home. No dispute that Russia 2018 is already one for the ages regardless of the final outcomes. Hell there might even be a good Bronze Medal match.

16. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Why? Did their team van back over your puppy? Nobody deserves that

17. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I questioned the Marsch move only because I think he has done well with the heifers and I presume Reb Bull agrees --- so moving to an assistant position with Leipzig seemed an odd sort of reward. Do they consider it a promotion, or do they think the new guy can get more out of the MLS club than Marsch was able to do and Marsch is just being shunted aside? If they consider it a promotion for a job well done, then that tells us all we need to know about MLS' reputation in Europe., i.e., a successful head coach in MLS = #2 at Leipzig or equivalent.

18. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should have added that since Marsch is being replaced, at least for now, by his top assistant, Chris Armas, whose career was/is in MLS, then it looks more like the top brass weren't happy with the job Marsch was doing for them. If they soon replace Armas with someone from one of their European teams, then it looks better for Marsh's reputation with the RB organization.

19. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't assume anything, but all the top leagues (and also many of the others) play from late august till mid may; some of them have a 90 to 120 days winter break approximately. You wouldn't say that Bundesliga has two seasons correct? But they do shut down from about mid december till beginning of february or sometimes slightly later. MLS doesn't even have the issue of having to play the same teams on the same calendar, they can choose which teams plays when and where, so it would be extremely easy to have southern teams play more home games just before and immediately after the winter break, honestly I am not a genius, it really doesn't that much to figure this out.
    Or maybe you are fine and happy with MLS as it is, a good league but with very low margins of getting better at this point; and you are fine and happy with a NT king of the friendlies but soft when it really matters to show the balls, and that gets eliminated from a team that did 3 points in the previous 9 games.
    If you are happy with it, then I surrend, and good for you!

20. Murrdcu

Murrdcu Member

DC United
    United States
    Apr 25, 2017
    He’s been head coach at RBNY for four years. He’s probably welcoming a change of scenery, chance to learn with new coaches and have another avenue for career growth.

Boloni86 and Winoman repped this.
  21. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    For those arguing Marsch took a step down --- look at it this way, in England how many head coaches in the Nationwide Conference become head coaches immediately in the Championship or EPL? It's a step up and a good career move for him. Perhaps one day he will become the mythical American coach in Europe that folks don't begin the discussion with, ""he's American you know, so he really doesn't understand European football.""

Boloni86 repped this.
  22. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Actually a big step up, 15 years ago they would have said "he's American you know, so he really doesn't understand football at all."

23. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Jeebus but Croatia are persistent and good. I'm developing a man-crush on Luka Modric, the most impactful player in the tournament. Once he shifted towards goal and became the fulcrum of Croatia's attack, England just looked a half step slower. France and Croatia has the chance to be memorable because France is loaded, but Croatia has skill and clearly won't crack under pressure of being behind on the scoreboard.

Boloni86 and John L repped this.
  24. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    #299 NicktheGreek, Jul 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Told ya. Pretty lethal for 11 spent bullets, even if they didn't heed my wisdom to put the Brits down early and showed how tough they really are.
    I watch Spainish and Italian soccer and expected no less from Mandzukic (Juve), Modric (RMA), Raketic (Barca), and Perisic (Inter). Hopefully the next broadcast won't neglect to mention their clubs as frequently as they felt it was necessary to do with the Brits. Great matches, and the weather conditions were not a factor as they will be in 2022 and 2026 so don't expect to see another cup like this for a long time

25. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    You're right about not being spent. Incredible that a team that played three consecutive 120+ minute matches was fitter and more energized at the end. That is one tough bunch.