Official Soccer Basher Thread

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by Huss, Feb 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FC Uptown

FC Uptown New Member

Feb 3, 2006
    H-town
    Re: Jim Rome crawls out of his hole to bash USA soccer.

He did the same thing to NASCAR for many years and now actually likes NASCAR.
    It took him many years, but he now "gets it".
    Same thing will happen with soccer when we "prove it" on the field.
    Rome is just being funny.
    All his kids play soccer.

2. Anthony W

Anthony W New Member

May 8, 2004

Yeah, but didn't Nascar have a unified fanbase...

3. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Moving this thread -- and anything else regarding Jim Rome -- to the Business & Media forum, where the mods there can merge it into the Official Soccer Bashers thread.

(Although Rome himself, as a media personality, does remind me of a comment former North Melbourne defender Mick Martyn said to Sam Newman on "The Footy Show" over here in 2002, at the height of the Wayne Carey sex scandal, but that's another topic for another time...)

4. javier66

javier66 Member

Jul 10, 2005
    Mission, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ahhh!, It's about time Romey came out of his hole. I wonder if he was raped by soccer in his college years hmmm?. I see nothing changes.:D

5. divo2317

divo2317 New Member

Aug 25, 2005

do what i did, go to his web site and go off on him,.Don't hold anything back
    www.jimrome.com

6. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA

Go tell the world ... tell it I'm on fire ...

7. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I heart Jim Rome.

8. beck

beck New Member

Mar 20, 2006

that ********in** asshole should go fuc* himself. i dont even know why espn has this guy on, that show got no rating at all.
    the guy is an idiot, his boss pay millions for this and the next world cup, not to mention the mls deal. He's bashing his own company.

9. scurley

scurley New Member

Jan 13, 2004
    Tucson

I recall another time when Rome got someones named mixed up.... I believe that resulted in 'Chris', er I mean 'Jim' Everett starting to lay the smack down on Rome as they cut to comercial.

That was funny

10. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA

I swear to God, it was almost as good as sex... I heard that our local Rome affiliate was renegotiating all deals, and I called ten times a day (I counted) for ten days to make it clear -- and this was true -- that I made a point NOT to listen to their station when Rome was on... I even accosted a couple of their local advertisers, telling them the same thing.... then because of my effort, I'm sure, he got the boot.

I nearly lit up a cig after... and I don't even smoke.

11. DaveG67

DaveG67 New Member

Mar 1, 2003
    Was Ohio Now Florida

Look Rome rips everyone, he always has. He's called the WNBA players nags for years.

He is looking for a reaction so don't give him one, if the team does well he jumps on the band wagon. Like most american sports fans.

As for getting the name wrong, come on that was on purpose just like called Jim Everett, Chris three times before Jim Everett hit him.

We just have to pray his wife has more athletical ability to pass on to his son, then all the failed athlets who become sports talk show host like himself.

As he has mentioned his son plays youth soccer, I will laugh for days if his son could become a at least a collage player.

12. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta

He's just pissed because his show is probably the only one on ESPN that routinely gets beat in the ratings by soccer.

13. MrSparkle

MrSparkle New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Downers Grove, IL

I actually listen to him from time to time. Ont time he did at least a 15-minute segment somewhere along the lines of:

"Yesterday, I heard the words no dad ever wants to hear: 'Your boy is really good at soccer.' "

You can imagine how the rant went on.

In any event, I no longer argue and attempt to change people's views on soccer because I will NEVER succeed. The best way I've gotten people to convert? Simple. Take them to a US game. You wouldn't believe what results a good, old-fashioned tailgate and 90-plus minutes standing in SA will produce. In the past four years, I have been 6-for-6 with the aforementioned form of brainwashing.

Let's hope Rome has to cover the US in eight years because his son is dominating at Ajax and is the Americans' best chance to excel at the World Cup.

14. red lass

red lass New Member

May 2, 2002
    Much as dislike Tommy Smyth and his ranting style. I think it might be a good match Smyth against Rome. Two of the same kind, only one with a passion for soccer. What say Ye.

15. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    Speaking of which.....

Whatever happened to the Babe?

16. Keith Olbermann bashed soccer on his show tonight. He had a segment on computer laptops playing soccer in Argentina. He said nothing could ever be done to save soccer from being dull and said at the end that the score ended 0-0 as always and 1100 fans were killed in a riot. What a scumbag. It looks like all the bashers are coming out again with the world cup right around the corner.

17. He also mockingly called it the world's game.

18. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    Trying to convert soccer haters is a waste of time...kinda like trying to convince the Pope God is a human creation of the mind...just not worth the effort.

19. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    Is he still bitter at O'Reilly for destroying him in the ratings?

20. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    Oh. So YOU'RE the person that still watches his show.

21. The Wisdom Cube

The Wisdom Cube New Member

Oct 7, 2005
    Clemson, SC
    Yes, he does a segment every night where he counts down the three worst people in the world, and O'Reilly is always number 1. It's usually pretty funny.

22. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Who is Keith Olbermann by the way? and why should I care what some 2nd tier (at best) hack has to say about the sport?

Keith, this just in.... listen closely.... ready???

When the rest of the world is so emotional and enthusiastic about something, perhaps you should open your mind and try to see why.. Perhaps millions and millions of people cant be wrong.

Just a thought, Keith. Try to wrap your brain around that concept and get back to me if this registers.

23. sundayparkplayer

Feb 8, 2006

I saw his rant yesterday and I've got to tell you just how mean spirited it was. He had this look in his eyes at the end that looked like he wanted to kill someone. I'm not stretching the truth here at all. The vitriol rolling off his tongue actually scared me a little. This man was ready to hurt someone. It was very weird and very different from his usual mocking. He was NOT being funny or trying to be funny.

24. Anteaters FC

Anteaters FC New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Santa Monica

I like Olbermann, but it doesn't surprise me that he said that. He's a snarky guy.

He used to have a late Sunday night sports show on the CBS station here in LA.

25. Anthony W

Anthony W New Member

May 8, 2004

You know, It's almost like they want the team to do badly.