Official recruiting announcements - 2014

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Sandon Mibut, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Just a guy who made a business decision. What's more American than that?

2. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    These two guys are tied for #1 goalscorer in the Atlantic Division of the DA.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  3. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    [​IMG] 2014 Signees
    Name Pos. Ht. Wt. Hometown High School Club Team/Last School

Matt Foldesy M 5-6 155 North Olmsted, Ohio St. Ignatius University of Akron
    Jack Griffith M 6-0 155 Danville, Ind. Brownsburg Westside United
    Grant Lillard D 6-4 195 Hinsdale, Ill. Hinsdale Central Chicago Fire
    William Lukowski GK 6-3 180 Greenwood, Mo. Lee's Summit Iowa Western CC
    Jay McIntosh M 6-0 185 Kalamazoo, Mich. Loy Norrix Vardar
    Tim Mehl D 6-1 170 Manhattan Beach, Calif. Loyola FRAM Soccer Club
    Michael Riedford M 6-1 165 Evansville, Ind. Reitz Memorial Indiana United
    Jake Rufe M 6-2 165 Huntsville, Ala. Grissom Vestavia Steamers
    Trevor Swartz M/D 5-10 155 Cameron Park, Calif. Ponderosa Galaxy Blues
    Cory Thomas M 6-0 160 Corydon, Ind. Corydon Central River City Rovers

http://www.iuhoosiers.com/sports/m-soccer/spec-rel/021014aan.html

+1 more tomorrow who had a paperwork issue.

Hararea repped this.
  4. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
  5. SheHateMe

SheHateMe Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of size here.

6. CCSoccerFan

CCSoccerFan Member

May 2, 2009
    Hararea repped this.
  7. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    This is interesting. After pushing the envelope of the NCAA rules in recruiting internationally (especially from Germany) cost previous coach Oliver Weiss his job, Virginia Tech's AD supposedly had Mike Brizendine agree to not do so when he promoted him to replace Weis.

Well, Tech has a new AD and perhaps coincidentally, but perhaps not, three of Tech's recruits are internationals, including two from Germany.

http://www.hokiesports.com/msoccer/recaps/20140209aaa.html

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    24Seven repped this.
  9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  11. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
  12. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Nobody will be surprised to see me say this, but Essome in particular is a f***ing joke. He turns 24 this fall, and a player that age should not be allowed to come in and compete for a scholarship against an 18-year-old. Not even close to a level playing field.

As for Baus, he is already 21, so he shouldn't have more than one year of eligibility but undoubtedly will.

CCSoccerFan and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  14. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  15. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  16. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  18. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  19. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    Gotta like a kid born/raised? Lima, Peru from a High School in Vienna, Austria that finds his way to the 4th largest D1 program in little Rhode Island.

20. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    I'm not doubting you, but I'm not sure where you got the age. I agree that the age is ridiculous, but the number of foreign players is less of a problem. With the some kids getting signed early, more than a few people have felt the college game was going to become meaningless. I personally think the opposite is happening. The level of play is getting higher and is attracting some pretty decent talent from around the world. The advanced age works against a lot agents combing the college ranks looking for prospects, but I think successful players will find it increasingly easier to get some serious tryout offers.

21. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Just Google the guy, and this comes right up. This guy is older than Andrew Wenger and only just arrived.

http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/som-essome/leistungsdaten/spieler_196008.html

If you restricted the ages, you'd force coaches to find better talent and you wouldn't turn the competition into a joke.

22. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    For me, the issues with the older, international players is not just that they're more physically and emotionally mature, it's what they've been doing since they finished HS.

Are we supposed to believe that these guys haven't been playing organized soccer the whole time, even if it wasn't pro? Per NCAA rules, you're supposed to lose a year of eligibility for every year of organized competition you play after HS. Are they trying to tell us a guy stayed good enough to play D-I soccer despite taking years off from organized competition?

That just doesn't pass the smell test.

And then there's the whole amateur/professional angle and whether he was playing against pros or getting compensation. The whole thing is just shady.

BTW - if this kid was in the military, than all bets are off. I have no qualms with older kids, from any country, who served in the military, then playing college sports in the US. (This is often the case with the Scandinavian and Israeli kids, where military service is compulsory.)

SheHateMe and Hararea repped this.
  23. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    It'd be easy enough to add a special exemption to the rules if this is considered important (there may already be one?), although the Israelis are the only ones who are affected in a big way. Scandinavian kids are generally done with their military service in a few months, and Sweden doesn't even bother with it any more.