Official Pablo (as coach) thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by ~F8~, Apr 7, 2014.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sports Yak, kucsdat and JasonMa repped this.
  3. Independiente

Independiente Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Mar 15, 2005
    Littleton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Rapids will offer a new contract to Pablo. Heck, he coached the team to it's best ever regular season finish, very close to the Supporter's Shield, and into the Western Conference Finals. It was a very successful year. He certainly knows how to coach a defense-first minded team. Getting the most out of inexperienced players who are not "big names" such as Watts, Sjoberg, Miller, and Azira is quite remarkable. The style of play is not attractive, especially because of lack of goals, but was effective. I think if Pappa could have been as productive and healthy as he was in the first 4-5 weeks of the season and if Jones was available for 5 more games, goal production would have been greater, but there is certainly more than just that at play for our offensive impotency. I applaud Pablo for settling in to a more stable core of "starting lineup" players. Consistency and cohesiveness is very important. The previous two years it seemed like lineup shuffles week in and week out. The locker room and belief / buy-in of the team must have been better this year, he got more out of his players - maybe bringing in some experienced professionals helped also. So, for me, I think this season's win / loss record and advancing to conference finals = re-sign Pablo. I hope that he continues to improve as a coach and we see some new attacking players help the team score more goals next year.

4. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    COMtnGuy, Stuart95, jayd8888 and 2 others repped this.
  5. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
  6. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    But would our players expand their comfort zone by playing out of position(s)? Of course all of the better ones would be counseled to go to Europe.

7. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JK as the Rapids coach?

[​IMG]

8. Waterboy66

Waterboy66 Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I think an under examined part of the season was the decision to trade for LeToux, presumably with Pablo's blessing. While he works hard on defense, he was hardly a threat to run at the defense, get behind defenders, or offer anything new or different to the attack. A speedier player with ability to provide quality service or a true #10 could potentially have helped this team so much more on the attacking side. We don't know what kind of options were on the table, but I think that the spent on LeToux, who was a fairly expensive player, could have been spent more wisely . Solignac could have served the role just as well (in my opinion) for a lower price. Once that move was made, it seems that we committed to a more conservative style of play. In the context of the players that were available, I have to regrettably agree with those that think Pablo should be back. I would prefer a coach with a bit more attacking ambition, but I can't see the Rapids parting ways with Pablo unless money gets in the way.

9. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find it hard to believe they would part with Pablo after he is named MLS Coach of the Year. I wasn't super excited wondering which side of 1-0 we would be on every game but at the end of the day the season was a huge success compared to 2014 and 2015.

He appeared to learn some lessons like keeping a more consistent lineup. If he can learn a few more like using subs better to turn the tide or to mold us into a more potent counterattacking team to compliment the stout defense then I am willing to roll with it.

10. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL? Thats not how you spell "Burgundy Wave contributor".

JasonMa repped this.
  11. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't know KSE very well. This is the same brain-trust that fired the NBA Coach of the Year to avoid a pay increase.

RapidStorm, fortcollins and kucsdat repped this.
  12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My thoughts: Pablo should get a new contract either for 1 year or with a team option after the first year. His expectation for 2017 should be to easily make the playoffs (not clinch one of the final 2 spots in the final 2 weeks). He doesn't have to repeat this year and be int he Shield fight but he can't regress to "typical" Rapids levels. A deep USOC or CCL run would also be helpful.

If he does that then he should go into 2018 knowing that, barring a catastrophic run like the end of 2014, he's not on the hot seat and 2019 is basically assured.

If he fails to make the playoffs in 2017 then the team should use their option and/or not renew his contract and find a new coach. If he makes the playoffs but in typical Rapids fashion "one of the last two spots on the final day or two of the regular season" then we'll have to analyze the season, look at the USOC and CCL play, and have another discussion.

GreatGonzo and Stuart95 repped this.
  13. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I forgot about that. It's hard for my brain to associate KSE and winning.

jayd8888 repped this.
  14. AvaiBunton

AvaiBunton Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually had to look into this and see if it was true. MLS said it would be announced today.

I agree, as absolutely painful as it was at times, i think he's earned an extension. His coaching this coming season will determine his own contract. Regression, and bye bye. Progression, hello pay day!

15. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, Jason- this is pretty much where I am.

There's a significant chance that we will drop off in 2017 - some of the 1-0 results become 0-1 s and suddenly we're fighting to see the playoff spots. There's also a chance that Pablo's coaching will continue to improve, that he'll add some attacking chops (and maybe another goal scorer or 3), and that we'll be near the top again. Give a year to see what happens.

jayd8888 and JasonMa repped this.
  16. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    RapidStorm and COMtnGuy repped this.
  18. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Of all the people to win, OP pisses me off the most.

jayd8888 and Stuart95 repped this.
  19. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow that Player vote has me wondering if that is another reason to not re-sign him if it means a not well liked coach (Can't be determined given info provided).

jimijam28, kucsdat and JasonMa repped this.
  20. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    The people that know his 'style' best like him least ... ?

21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As pointed out on the FB discussion, that could just be a result of Pareja coaching in MLs at some level for 9 years compared to Pablo's 3. Three are many more players who have been coached by Pareja and didn't play against him than Pablo.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  22. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    There might also be a factor related to players that have sat behind him (Pablo) on the team bench or just down the touchline on the opponent's bench and seen/heard his childish touchline antics. Wonder what Vermes' player vote percentage was (low I would assume if my point is valid?) he was on at least one short list for the USMNT job.

There is a difference between passionate and petulant.

23. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    I'm sitting here very indifferent to if the Rapids resign Pablo or not, mostly I favor it. However, I am still so very glad that Pariah is gone.

24. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Also, the media vote was far harder on Pablo than players' vote.

There were players who didn't like Pareja (or at least the rebuild)...remember guys like Larentowicz wanting out because they didn't want to be part of his rebuild.

25. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone else wish they were wrong when they actually were 100% right about a decision? Almost amazing on how the RFO can make anyone right since 2011

jayd8888, fortcollins and JasonMa repped this.