Official:Ottawa gets NASL franchise/team

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Soccerfever, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
  2. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    On the contrary, I would say that it is great news for soccer in Canada.

The club football grows in Canada, the better will be the experience for fans and players alike.

3. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    It is great news, for Ottawa and Canadian soccer, but unfortunately the question remains, will the NASL even exist by 2013?

4. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    I know that the league was for sale about 2 years ago but I believe that the league was bought/under new administration...

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was USL

6. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    Oops...thanks.

7. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I'm curious to see what impact this has on the Ottawa Fury (PDL) and Capital City FC (CSL) teams.

Although it's impossible to draw a direct link, the Fury seem to have suffered from the arrival of Capital City FC. Their regular season average attendances are as follows:

383 in 2009
    379 in 2010
    220 in 2011

Of course, it could also be reflective of on-field performance (playoffs in 2009 and 2010 but quite poor in 2011).

8. MrVillan

MrVillan Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    This Ottawa team includes the owner of the Fury, so presumably they'd turn into the academy for the NASL side.

9. bettermirror

bettermirror Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Fraser Valley
    Fury should become the academy - be brilliant.

Great news for Canadian soccer and especially Ontario that has a huge untapped market post youth soccer.

Ideally see Quebec City or Hamilton join also very quickly.

Great job Ottawa!

10. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Former Montreal Impact coach Marc Dos Santos named first coach of Ottawa Fury FC North American Soccer League squad
    Tim Baines Ottawa Sun May 23, 2013

Ottawa Fury FC went all the way to Brazil to find its first coach — a Canadian.

It was announced Thursday that Marc Dos Santos, 36, will join Fury FC on July 1 after spending the last two years coaching in Brazil.

Born in Montreal, Dos Santos is best known for leading the Montreal Impact to the United Soccer Leagues (USL) First Division title in his first year at the helm.

Dos Santos returns to the NASL, where he was one of the original eight coaches in 2011 with the Impact.

"Although it was never a prerequisite, we're delighted to have a Canadian coach," said Fury FC president John Pugh. "He speaks Portuguese, French, Spanish and English — the languages of soccer."

Introduced via a video conference call, Dos Santos says the challenge joining an expansion team brings, plus family, were huge factors in his decision to return to Canada.

"I need to have challenges in my life," he said. "I have a lot of Portugal in me, but I'm Canadian. I felt it was important to have the top Canadian coaches in Canada.

"And soccer is not is not everything in my life. It's about family. My wife is from Montreal."

The coach expects Fury FC to have a certain style on the field, one that will be appealing to fans.

"I'm extremely competitive," he said. "In the first year, there's no pressure to be super good. But I put a lot of pressure on myself. We want to press, we want to dictate. We want to be a fast, dynamic team. We've got a lot of work to do in the next six months to build a competitive club.

"With the Impact, I learned to win. I learned tomorrow doesn't count, yesterday doesn't count, what counts is the next game."

So what's the coach going to be looking for in the way of players?

"We don't want a big player who's 33 or 35, a player who's in a comfort zone and looking to finish his career," said Dos Santos. "We want ambitious players who are looking to make a name for themselves."

11. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Marc Dos Santos Named First Head Coach of Fury FC
    Dos Santos To Begin July 1

Ottawa Fury FC proudly announced the appointment Marc Dos Santos as the North American Soccer League (NASL) club’s first head coach today. Dos Santos, who is currently coaching with Desportivo in Brazil, was introduced via a video conference call from Sao Paolo, Brazil. The 36 year old will join Fury FC on July 1st. Per club policy, terms of the contract were not disclosed.

“I’m very proud and honoured to lead Ottawa Fury FC in its first NASL season,” said the newly appointed Dos Santos. “I hope this is only the beginning of a great story of success. The city will embrace this team, I’m sure!”

Born in Montreal, Dos Santos is best known for leading the Montreal Impact to the United Soccer Leagues (USL) First Division title in his first year at the helm.

Dos Santos joins Fury FC after spending the last two years coaching in Brazil. After coaching the U20 team of FC Primeira Camisa in the 2012 Copa Sao Paolo, the Montreal native was invited to join SE Palmeiras, one of the most successful clubs in Brazilian football, where he coached the U15 team to their first ever Brazilian Championship (2012).

"We are thrilled to have Marc joining our club as our first head coach," said Fury FC President, John Pugh. "He has experienced tremendous success wherever he has coached. In particular with the Impact and most recently in Brazil. He is widely respected for his coaching abilities, possesses all the qualities we were looking for in a head coach and shares our holistic club philosophy".

In five years with the Impact, Dos Santos led the Impact Reserves (Trois-Rivière Attak) to the Open Canada Cup Championship in 2007 and the Canadian Soccer League regular season championship in 2008. Appointed as Assistant Coach to John Limniatis in 2008, he helped the Impact win the Nutrilite (now Amway) Canadian Championship and reach the quarterfinals of the CONCACAF Champions League. Dos Santos was appointed interim head coach in May 2009 and later that season saw the interim tag removed as he led the Impact to the USL Championship. In 2010, the Impact reached the semifinals in USSF Division 2 (now NASL). Dos Santos would resign in June 2011 during the Impacts final season in the NASL before they made the jump to Major League Soccer.

Dos Santos returns to the NASL where he was one of the original eight coaches in 2011 with the Montreal Impact.

Dos Santos holds a UEFA ‘A’ License and has had internships in Brazil with Luiz Felipe Scolari at SE Palmeiras, in England with Chelsea FC and at Portuguese clubs FC Porto, Boavista FC and SC Beira Mar.

The Canadian-born Dos Santos holds both Canadian and Portuguese citizenship and is fluent in English, French, Portuguese and Spanish.

12. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    He forgot German! :mad:

fuzzx repped this.
  13. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I would have thought that Italian was one of the languages of the game....no?

14. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Ottawa Fury is kind of unique for an expansion NASL franchise as it already has had a successful academy in place for both Boys and Girls now for several years now. Seeing many of its players move to University Soccer in the US and Canada. As well having a very successful PDL club. In which it has signed homegrown GK Chad Bush. Who was an all PDL conference and league GK of the year as well as being part of the Canadian National u-17 squad at one point.
    Also being a part of the larger OSEG ownership group as now one of its 3 clubs under their banner to play out of the newly reno'd Stadium Complex.
    Marrying the Fury organization with the already well marketed and popular 67's OHL Junior Hockey team.
    Fury FC Academy takes that base and has upped to a full Junior and Senior boys Academy U16-U17 and U18-U19.
    Like the CFL REDBLACKS, Fury Academies will be including both sides of the the river in the Ottawa-Gatineau region.
    A version of a Reserve/minor league side in the new Ligue1 Ontario or PLSQ is possible and cost efficient regional league.
    Even an Amateur U-23 PDL team for Academy players in University also possible.
    It would not be a stretch to even say that Fury FC under the OSEG banner could be the best organization to be Canada's first entry into the NWSL.