Official: McKalla Stadium News and Updates

Discussion in 'Austin FC' started by MjrGrubert, Dec 5, 2018.

1. wingman2468

wingman2468 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    May 25, 2018
    Updated site plan released to the City of Austin today. I expected to see a few changes considering the additional $25million being spent. Most notably what we can see now is concessions/ amenities in the northeast corner of the stadium, a bridge over the retention pond to what would be a Rail station, and an expanded profile of the Affordable Housing allotment, now being referred to as "Phase 2"

[​IMG]

2. MjrGrubert

MjrGrubert BigSoccer Supporter

May 22, 2003
    Whitefish, MT
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any intel/speculation about PSV buying up some of the surrounding parcels? I drove out there today and there were surveyors on that skinny triangle parcel at the end of McKalla.

3. wingman2468

wingman2468 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    May 25, 2018
    I haven't heard anything about acquiring that property (Paragon Printing), or any others at the moment, although it does seem it could be an ongoing conversation. The lot to the north of McKalla is owned by Capella Capital Partners, and as far I know they are building this: Mixed use development, office/retail/apartment-hotel
    [​IMG]

Minnman repped this.
  4. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #29 VioletCrown, Mar 8, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    More info.

And a little rough math: 9 floor parking garage could make around 2,000 more very convenient parking places available.

My very rough parking math is based on one 7 floor parking garage that I know that's going up near me that will hold 1,850 cars.

5. wingman2468

wingman2468 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    May 25, 2018
    This is the updated building that was released today, making the transition from mixed-use to full office space. Peep the soccer stadium in the back :)
    [​IMG]

Jay34 repped this.
  6. wingman2468

wingman2468 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    May 25, 2018
    Application for rezoning now implies that Mckalla Place will now hold approximately 22,000 seats.

TheesUhlmann repped this.
  7. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't remember -- how does that compare to initial plans?

8. Jay34

Jay34 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    Aug 26, 2018
    Austin, TX
    In my head, the old plans called for ~20k. Happy to hear they've upped it a bit.

VioletCrown repped this.
  9. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's kinda what I thought. I wonder (since there's no ticket sales open yet) what they're using to base that increase on. I guess their survey responses.

10. wingman2468

wingman2468 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    May 25, 2018
    market response has been great and people are becoming really involved with the Anthem supporters group and events, etc.

During the Anthem's SXSW event last weekend I met people I had never seen before, and they knew exactly what I was talking about, because they had been following along. I was surprisingly pleased.

TheesUhlmann repped this.
  11. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I was walking to work this morning, I passed a tree full of grackles. They made quite a din. I wondered how the Anthem could make that noise. It could maybe done by well-trained whistlers (I have a friend that can produce quite a whistle) plus a few bird calls? Things like duck calls could either be laughable or imposing. https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=bird+call+whistles

12. loonytoony

loonytoony Member

Newcastle
    Sep 6, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Stadium update: https://www.statesman.com/sports/20...iums-price-hike-driven-by-need-for-more-shade

"Team president Andy Loughnane told the American-Statesman Monday evening that one of the items that has driven that price point is a roof expansion that would make the stadium’s cover the second-largest among current soccer specific venues behind Red Bull Arena, home of the New York Red Bulls. He said the canopy will be more than twice the size of the roof at BBVA Compass Stadium in Houston and five times larger than Toyota Stadium in Dallas."

I don't know about you rabble but I can't wait for the ground breaking!

13. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will admit that I've lived in Austin long enough that I get confused about where downtown ends. But I'm pretty confident in saying that this stadium will NOT be downtown. Tom Bogert need some education on Austin geography.

14. loonytoony

loonytoony Member

Newcastle
    Sep 6, 2018
    Austin, TX
    I don't consider it downtown either. To me downtown ends around the Capitol.

It is however biking/walking/stumbling distance to my place. Next stop, all of the breweries :ROFLMAO:

ScootiePippin repped this.
  15. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.austinmonitor.com/stori...47RFFfJBPy-aMF_Zyiy1q7JCY9DVElXnoh_1FmIePMw3E

The bill has been scheduled for a hearing in the appropriate committee on April 9.

16. loonytoony

loonytoony Member

Newcastle
    Sep 6, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Ticket pricing is starting to be put together. A buddy met with Alex, one of their FO reps, recently. We should see more details in the coming months.

wingman2468 repped this.
  17. loonytoony

loonytoony Member

Newcastle
    Sep 6, 2018
    Austin, TX
  18. MjrGrubert

May 22, 2003
    Whitefish, MT
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks great. Wonder what the take up will be Wednesday when they start taking deposits.

19. wingman2468

wingman2468 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    May 25, 2018
    Im gonna take a guess and say that at least 7k seats will be accounted for by the end of wednesday

20. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it sure looks like the folks that have money will have a nice place to not watch the game.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  21. loonytoony

loonytoony Member

Newcastle
    Sep 6, 2018
    Austin, TX
    I'd be more than happy with 7k. That would give us a good base from which to build. After that we've got two years to go before the first game.

FWIW the ticket rep said biggest block requested so far is for 100 tickets :geek:

22. wingman2468

wingman2468 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    May 25, 2018
    Probably a scalper

23. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. From day 1, this has been a problem at BBVA Compass stadium. Not that it's THE reason for the empty seats here, but even year 1 there has been rows of empty seats everywhere. Looks good in ticket sales, but horrible on camera when those seats are empty cause the scalper wants to much for the tickets and will only sell in sets. Not only that, but sponsors are given tickets in various places but don't use the tickets. I worked at a store long time ago and would ask representatives from companies sponsoring MLS or the Dynamo for tickets. They are either stingy with them but won't use them, or give them to me saying they weren't going to use them anyway. Tickets distributed but not used.

24. MjrGrubert

May 22, 2003
    Whitefish, MT
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well website crashed for an hour+ at 10cst so someone is interested!

wingman2468 repped this.