OFFICIAL: Landon Donovon on Loan Game Thread

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by bedmstr, Jan 10, 2009.

1. TequilaJoal

TequilaJoal Red Card

Mar 3, 2002
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wishing

Well it seems LD got in early (35') due to an injury to Toni.
    Now with some time we will see what LD can do.

Watching the 1st half he looks lost. I would give anything for him to take a defender 1v1 cause once teams know you chicken sh*t out everytime the balls is at your feet and you pass it away cause your have no clue what to do with the ball....

Then you start showing your lack of class. Donovan is showing he doesn't belong on the same pitch as these guys right now.

2. rtdavide

rtdavide Member+

Apr 20, 2005
    Whittier, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: wishing

is the game on the internet anywhere?

3. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Re: wishing

Its over... Bavaria lost. I doubt they will be spending the big cash on Donovan at this point. If he was worth 5 million they'd do it. 10-15? Probably not.

4. TequilaJoal

TequilaJoal Red Card

Mar 3, 2002
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LAndy

Landon just isn't at that level of class yet. maybe he never will be.

It just seemed every pass to him ended up being a quick return pass to someone else... when what Bayern are looking for is donovan to impose himself on the defense.

He just doesn't seem confident with the ball at his feet and his nice shots in the 53' and 71' minute were albeit good efforts... he was way to quiet and not gaining confidence from his teammates as the contest grew on.

It seems like LD is trying harder not to mess up than he is trying to show he belongs out there, he needs JK to sit him down and tell him play the game that got him there and not worry about being dispossesed by a defender or loosing the ball sometimes... that sh*t happens. just go out and play.

5. Jedimaster1

Jedimaster1 Member

Aug 11, 2008
    SLC, UT
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: LAndy

Just got done watching it. I recorded it due to a busy, fun weekend.

I agree that he seems more content to get by rather then impress. I do believe, however, he is good enough to play with the 'big boys'. I just don't think he will have enough time to really sink in with BM to show he does belong. And with the asking price too high for him, BM will pass for now.

6. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Is Luca Toni still out? Will Donovan start the next game?

7. Benz280

Benz280 Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Galaxias
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LD please come home,they are using you.They're not going to sign you b/c they already have 4 strikers.

8. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think it is more that they aren't going to sign him because he failed to impress in the real games. It sounds like he was unassertive in those games so they are choosing to go with a promising young striker from their system instead. You can be sure if they thought he would be clearly their best 4th striker they would have tried to sign him.

Good news for the LAG though. LA would be in deep doodoo without him.

9. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a different opinion of the situation. I think he impressed just fine, but not enough to warrant the asking price that MLS has. I mean, their third striker, Olic, they're getting on a free. The 4th striker, Mueller, is from their youth ranks.

Had Donovan come out and played like Messi, sure, they'd fork over whatever MLS asked. But Donovan's not Messi, of course; he's simply a good player.

I also think FCB never really intended to buy him. They know it takes time to settle in and excel (once again, unless you're a superstar). As it is, Donovan settled in and did fine in just 80 minutes of playing time, but light the world on fire, he did not.

Others are saying they think it's a negotiating ploy. After all, according to MLS and the Galaxy, Donovan was never for sale in the first place; and according to FCB, he was simply on loan until March 15 anyway. So why even mention that they probably won't buy him? They shouldn't even be talking about that....unless there's negotiations underway.

Who knows?

I just hope he's not too disappointed and I feel bad for him if he is. I also hope he scores some goals before the end of his loan, so he'll at least have that memory. And I hope it's at FCB, so the crowd will shout his name. :)

10. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    *bump* Thought this was an interesting read :)