OFFICIAL: Landon Donovon on Loan Game Thread

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by bedmstr, Jan 10, 2009.

1. bedmstr

bedmstr New Member

May 7, 2008
    According to the BM official website, he was the one of the only two players that played the whole 90 min. He made an assist and drew a foul resulting a goaled free-kick for Munich. If anyone can find a highlight or saw the game, please post a description.

2. bedmstr

bedmstr New Member

May 7, 2008
  3. 96wirdMeister

96wirdMeister New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    Niedersachsen
    Re: LANDON DONOVAN started and played the whole game in the friendly against Al Jazira

I´ve seen the match (thanx to Deutsches Sportfernsehen :rolleyes: ). Landon had a lot good scenes and shots, his assist to Bastan Schweinsteiger was the greatest. Al Jazira played good, but Bayern Munich had the better players:p:D. Jürgen Klinsmann wanted to see Donovan's play because he said Landon is forward No. 3 behind Luca Toni and Miroslav Klose. Lukas Podolski is now, after his injury, only No. 4...

4. FijiUnited

FijiUnited Member+

Feb 21, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: LANDON DONOVAN started and played the whole game in the friendly against Al Jazira

Donovan also played today against Al-Wehda and scored the final goal in a 3-1 Bayern victory.

5. ragbone

ragbone Member+

Sep 2, 2005
    Santo Tomas, Batangas, Philippines.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. jorgeinla4

jorgeinla4 New Member

Jun 5, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, people, it might be a bit too early to say it but it sounds and looks to me like LD may not come back after the "loan" is up.

Any thoughts?

7. Benz280

Benz280 Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Galaxias
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If he keeps scoring,he won't be back:(

8. Pegasus503

Pegasus503 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 7, 2008
    San Diego

Loans and borrowing…..

Lets call it as it is, even if we have to use financial nomenclature.
    The players are assets belonging to a corporation, players are traded for money.
    Players are sold out right, or they can be loaned, you might as well lease them….lol

We should just accept that both Beckham and Donovan are currently part of a

“try – before you buy” program

Milan and Bayern are both profit motivated corporations, so please tell me what they are getting out of these loans?

Players are loaned for reasons that usually have to do with excess in one squad and deficiency in another squad. Galaxy loaned Saunders from Miami because Cronin was injured. EPL clubs lend players to League Championship and League One clubs because the richer clubs can afford larger squads allowing them to send players out on loan to a club who can’t buy the player they require.

So what are Milan & Bayern getting out of these arrangements? And why should clubs of their stature invest in short term 10-12 week arrangements?

Surely there is a bigger picture here than Capello’s buddy giving Beckham a run out so Fabio can decide if Becks has an England future……Plus there is a financial cost to these loans….why would the club invest unless there was hope of acquisition?

btw...Wicks is available to rent for birthday parties like all other clowns....

9. rtdavide

rtdavide Member+

Apr 20, 2005
    Whittier, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Beckham is a different case than most... his marketing stature alone would merit his presence even if only for a few weeks. I can see Milan would be interested, but they may have to wait until the start of 2010 before they get him full time. Until then, it's a good role player and ALOT of media attention and sales. Galliani was pretty frank about this when he first spoke on the prospect. I think he said something like: Soccer today isn't just about tactics etc, it's also about marketing.

Donovan certainly is a try to buy deal. he has made it known he wants to try Europe. It seems either MLS or Bayern wasn't agreeing or offering anything just yet, but it's my conviction that if LD performs reasonably well, he will be gone before the season starts. Bayern will offer the money assuming it's not outrageous. And most likely, depending of course how well he does, they may be getting a pretty good prospect for pretty cheap. I don't know what Toni or Klose are getting, and everyone seems to assume LD will never be able to come close to their levels, but i'm not so sure. If he really does do well and get his confidence up, Bayern may get a world class striker for relatively cheap.

10. Landycakes1

Landycakes1 New Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Donovan will stay in Germany, at least I hope so. I saw him shine last year for club and country. Give him his chance to show the world he has the talent and dedication to play with the best.

11. jorgeinla4

jorgeinla4 New Member

Jun 5, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It is too early to determine anything regarding Landon but clearly, having Klinsman take LD under his wing seems to be having a positive effect on LD.

12. Che chico!

Che chico! Member

Dec 21, 2004
    West LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Landon's first goal for Bayern!

Enjoy.....I sure did.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLk1AnQOujs"]YouTube - Landon Donovans First Goal At FC Bayern Munich[/ame]

13. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It was a very nice goal. Good strength, and the defender seemed surprised that he held him off while he settled and then turned so quickly. Very well done for a guy his size.

I think with Donovan slotted in as the 3rd forward, it's almost a lock that they are going to buy him. He'll see good time off the bench in most games, probably get a few starts here and there since Bayern has a crowded fixture schedule, and Klinnsman won't drop him if he has an off game. This is a good arrangement for both Bayern and Donovan. Terrible for the Galaxy, though. The only hangup that I can see will be the money with MLS. As a USMNT and Donovan fan, I'd like to see him go. As a Galaxy fan, there is no way the team doesn't miss him terribly. If I were Arena, I'd have about 5 backup plans and players to go after if Bayern pulls the trigger, because if we go into the season with what we have now and no Donovan, we're definitely not making the playoffs. I think Arena knows that the minimum performance required this year is the playoffs, so he'd better be working behind the scenes.

14. bedmstr

bedmstr New Member

May 7, 2008
  15. shelbo

shelbo Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    L.A.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If we lose LD, can we get Ribery? He looks pretty good.
    ;)

16. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    We don't need multiple threads for Landon's games he plays with Bayern Munich, so keep all the game discussion of LD in here please.

17. West Coast Futbol

May 7, 2008
    The Beach

I will commute from Orlando!

18. coach20

coach20 New Member

Dec 10, 2008
    N.Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    hopefully donovan leaves not on Galaxys behalf but on Landons behalf he is a quality player who might not get this oppurtunity again..

Good Luck Landon u will be well missed

19. BlueMagic

BlueMagic Member

Aug 3, 2008
    Avalon
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that first goal against Al-Wehda was pretty

20. Natsoccer

Natsoccer Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Valencia, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finishing header was great. The run he made to get near-post of his defender was even better.

I've seen him make that run a thousand times in MLS. Looks like it works in Europe just as well...

23. shirteesdotnet

Feb 13, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    N I C E ! Good boy. Another friendly? When does their league get going again?

24. Benz280

Benz280 Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Galaxias
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beautiful goal......Nice to see.:)

25. rtdavide

rtdavide Member+

Apr 20, 2005
    Whittier, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no way. can't happen. Donovan is american, therefore he simply isn't up to the standards needed to do that. he has Klose, Toni, Podolski, Ribery etc, etc who are all better than him because they aren't from the US. He can't compete with those guys, he can't score goals like that, he will never be as good as they are... this just can't happen....