Official Gregg Berhalter Coaching Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by AutoPenalti, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Berhalter is trying to be another tinker man as coach of the Nats. We've seen this act before. My guess is that this is mostly about defensive strategy to employ 5 in the back plus two d-mids. I for one am looking forward to a lot of games where Gyasi Zardes takes 25 shots and the team wins 1-0 with a Brooks header off a corner.

Blech!

2. DirectK

DirectK Member

United States
    Jun 27, 2018
    You do realize that it's incredibly common for coaches in American sports to use "we" instead of "I" when referring to decisions "the team" has made that were in fact made by them personally.

cgrussell repped this.
  3. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    thats nice considering that isn't going to be what he'll be asked to do with the usmnt. He'll be asked to create with his feet. it will be interesting to see though.

4. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    I am arguing that I'd rather have adams in that rb role for the usmnt then on the bench watching trapp/bradley and a less talented yedlin/lima out there.

best players on the pitch is a good idea its one argentina has never figured out.

5. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Argentina figured it out ... but Higuaín missed an empty goal to win the World Cup in Brazil. That wasn't a function of the coach's system.

TOAzer repped this.
  6. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    my bad argentina was great last summer...oh wait you are talking five years ago.

last year they literally couldn't even find a spot for icardi on the roster and dybala...played a total of 32 minutes because they couldn't figure out a way to play them with messi.

now france had the same issue with giroud, griezmann, mbappe what did they do..mbappe went on the wing, grizemann played as a 10 and they got all their good players on the pitch together.

so the comparison is adams as the right back is good because it allows more good players on the pitch. adams sitting on the bench for lima...makes no sense.

7. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    why didn't he have mexico lose that qualification match? would've gotten the us into the wc did he just forget?

love the tinfoil hat people.

making the most money...should've gotten the us into the wc that would've helped a lot.

8. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My bad, YOU said that Argentina NEVER figured it out. I did not realize that "never" only applies to the year 2018. Silly me going back more than a single year.

btlove and TOAzer repped this.
  9. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    they didn't figure it out in 2014 either 2018 was just worse.

10. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, wrong. They were in the World Cup final. They lost, in a game they carried play, on an Higuaín miss of a wide open net at the end of the game. If winning the World Cup is the only way to prove you figured it out, then every team but 1 has not figured out how to play ... which of course is an absolutely nonsensical position to maintain.

btlove and TOAzer repped this.
  11. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    again my point is you get ur best players on the field; argentina hasn't figured it out they are still lost in the woods with how to do it.. its pretty clear what I am talking about I get it you don't understand but you play adams at rb to get ur best players on the field.

if you have icardi home and dybala glued to the bench...you haven't figured it out.

12. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I "get" that you are talking in circles. And I "understand" you have no idea what you are talking about. You made a claim that is unsupported by facts. But keep rambling on. You might eventually make a point worth considering.

btlove and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I wish soccer people made their line-ups like Venn diagrams with areas of responsibility. That would be more cool.

Like a "pre-heat" map! (I'm so getting that website right now. freisland pre-heat map for soccer line-up so our arguments can be more exact and picayune dot com.)

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  14. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    #364 a_new_fan, Mar 19, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    made a clear point and am sticking with it I didn't mean to confuse you

adams at rb is smart because the us needs to get its best players on the field; arg didn't do that and france did the results prove its the best way to go. the facts were arg/france...proved my point.

maybe telling us how not getting the best players on the field would be a good plan?

or tell us why icardi at home and dybala on the bench was a good gameplan for argentina in the wc.

I've now said the same thing in four posts so again back in a circle...maybe this time you'll get it but my guess is you are still pretty confused. its ok to admit you are wrong/confused I mean I am sure you didn't mean to argue that playing the best players isn't the best way to go its ok.

15. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Badly Aging Bradley is starting then it is clear there is no interest in getting the US' best players on the field. If our midfield were, say, a young Bradley, young Donovan, young Dempsey, and Pulisic...... well, then, putting Adams at RB would be an example of setting out our best players. But, given who we have on this roster, it's hogwash.

btlove, adam tash and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  16. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well maybe Berhalter thinks he can restore Bradley to his best. One of my problems with Bradley is that he seems to decide where he wants to play rather than what's best for the team and JK and Vanney seem to have let him get away with it.

17. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Re-read the post. where does it say that Garber controls the actions of Mexico as a NT? What he is in charge of is Mexican NT marketing in the US.

Mexico loves Don Gaber, he helps make them millions of fans and gives them tons of exposure in the US as CEO of SUM.

Im getting concerned by those who cant comprehend and then go straight to conspiracy theory.

18. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What evidence do you have of Garber and Bradley being close?

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  19. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the USMNT isn't "american sports"...a la a private franchise with its layers of decision makers involved in everything....

the usmnt coach is the autonomous decision maker for the team.

who else is involved in roster selection besides berhalter?

20. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Is this any more unusual than all the "we" usage around here referring to the US team?

21. DirectK

DirectK Member

United States
    Jun 27, 2018
    Here's Pep Guardiola talking about a tactical decision he made for City's match against Chelsea earlier this season:

"Gabriel is more a guy in the box," he said. "I knew that they would stay high. In the end, they waited a little bit lower and I didn't expect that.

"But when they are higher we wanted a guy like Riyad [Mahrez] or Raheem to make a one-against-one action. That was our idea. That's why we decided today to play Raheem more centrally than wider."​

WHO ELSE IS INVOLVED IN MANCHESTER CITY'S LINEUP DECISIONS BESIDES PEP???

Look, it may be the case that Berhalter doesn't make USMNT roster selections without input for Earnie Stewart, Don Garber, the Pope, the Illuminati, Q-Anon, whoever. But parsing his manner of speaking, which is actually completely normal for sports coaches and managers around the world, is not the evidence you think it is.

cgrussell repped this.
  22. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    I think you are overthinking this and making something out of nothing.

1. It could be we: Me and my assistant coaches.
    2. It could just be the way he put it. I know I often use we as a slip of the tongue when discussing something that I want/need/etc but involves multiple people. (I am a teacher and this sometimes happens in my classroom where I am making the decisions (or whatever) but I phrase it using 'we". I realize that not being an english teacher is not a good excuse but it's all I've got. I don't believe GGG is an english teacher either.
    3. IF the roster and or tactics were somehow controlled by GGG, do you think it is something he would want to advertise? If he is doing all of this at the urging of USSF, do you think they would want him to advertise it?

Sorry for the offtopic.

DirectK repped this.
  23. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i mean i dont know who the we inculdes....I thought it just meant me and my assistants....BUT
    after seeing some of the picks and quotes and ideas and bringing in certain players from the cold....

i'm not so sure anymore....

i think it isn't an accident that he says we instead of I - i don't know if it is only him and his assistants choosing rosters etc - but i wouldn't be surprised if GGG is not the autonomous entity he is representing and representing himself as.....

i mean the whole drawn out gm process and the requirement of living in chicago under ussf noses means something....

24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I think he's just saying "yes" in French.

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  25. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    okay ...i want to hear GGG explain his roster selection process and who has input....he doesnt have much problem explaining everything else....i want to hear him say it is just me and my assistants who put rosters together without any outside pressure....then I will know who to blame better :)