Official Gregg Berhalter Coaching Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by AutoPenalti, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    To my untrained eye, each position that McKennie plays is really just a slight variation from his normal spot in midfield. When he played striker, it seemed like he was playing as a box to box forward (6 yard box to 6 yard box). In the first several minutes he was defending in the corner while still getting forward. Yesterday as a defender he played from his end-line to the top of the opposite box...a bit more conservatively than usual but still got forward.

Patrick167 and wrench repped this.
  2. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Pretty funny to see all these BL teams “welcome” GGG whiles he’s on his German scouting tour. It seems like they eagerly take any chance they get to sell themselves to American fans and youth players.

3. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    well it beats the alternative...………

England-

1) pay a lot of money only to loan out our players

or

2)never play them and then also not loan them out so they rot in the training ground (Luca de La Torre, Hyndman)

gunnerfan7 and Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  4. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn’t really mean that as sarcasm or critical. I was really just pointing it out. It’s all part of this plan to market the league and it’s teams that is in full effect, and so far it’s been pretty successful.

But it’s definitely on purpose that teams are showing GGG on their Twitter and IG. “See? Play here and you can play for your country, too...”

5. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    All good bro, meant nothing by the "well" , meant it more as a criticism to England's EPL. Whats going on to Luca De La Torre and Hyndman right now is ridiculous.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  6. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why the bunny ears?

7. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because I was referring to the specific posts on Twitter and IG

8. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
  10. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    I think the depth of the pool is important but the thing that stands out the most to me was that Lowe did it with class. The fact that he took the time to speak to each player individually and to their face is important. I don't remember hearing it was quite that same way with Bocanegra.

11. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I'm not worried about the way it was done, it's the fact it was done at all. Germans feel you should be cut when you are no longer the most useful player. Does Berhalter have it in him to do that?

yurch10 repped this.
  12. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    I don't know.

I wasn't commenting on that. I hope he does but I also put value in how people treat others and I felt that Lowe treated the players well in cutting them and treated them in a way that I would appreciate if I were in their shoes.

13. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh I’m with Mahtzo1 on this. Yes it’s important that it was done but it should be done with class as well. Bradley has played a huge role in our side and come up big. He wasn’t a fringe player. He deserves being told respectfully even if the latest hasn’t been up to par. I’m not a fan of fairwell games tho. It’s bye thanks for your time.

bigredfutbol and Mahtzo1 repped this.
  14. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just stop auto-starting him every goddamn game, and preferably reduce his role to have him as a local camp veteran presence (e.g East coast guest camp body, like the guys that get cut before the final 20-23 gameday roster).

15. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting how perceptions differ. The coach suddenly decides that 2 core 30 yo defenders and a core 29 yo forward will no longer be considered and announces that decision on social media and you think it was done with class? It is worth noting that the players don't agree with Boateng the most vocal.

I don't understand how this relates to Boca. Should Boca also have been publicly retired from the national team by the coach instead of being allowed to decide and announce his own NT retirement? How about Donovan, Dempsey, DMB, Jones, and Howard who were all allowed to retire from the NT on their own time. Should Bradley, Altidore, Bedoya, Fab, ... also be publicly retired by GB?

16. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh I wouldn’t call him again. Jan camp he could be a guest invite if he wants to run around and train but that’s the extent of it.

yurch10 repped this.
  17. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    the players were no longer in Lowe's plans. Boca was no longer in JK's plans. I would prefer to be told to my face and given time to process everything rather than finding out that I am not in the plans at the last minute. Perhaps it would have been better to tell them to their faces and give them the opportunity to retire if they choose.

Bottom line I suppose is that Lowe and Klinsmann both had a decision to make regarding their personnel. Each handled in their own way, and each had a right to do so. Neither did anything technically wrong. Of the two, I prefer Lowe's method. As you say, perceptions (and opinions) vary.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  18. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    #318 #1 Feilhaber and Adu, Mar 6, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    I would actually use Bradley as a special situation player. For example, when we play Mexico, i want Bradley around and on the bench staring at the Mexico players all game and pointing at them if they do something dirty. Maybe both Jones and Bradley. But outside of a Mexico game, his role should be very limited.

We need to revive the Mexican soccer hate, and not hold their hands and kiss their butt like Garber, etc. wants us to do for the $$$$$. 12 years ago, their goalkeeper tried to end Eddie Johnson's career with a blind-sided leg tackle after a goal and one of their CB's recently went flat to the ground to take out Pulisic's knees and try to end his career back in Columbus WCQ. Omar Salgado was bullied for being Mexican-American at Chivas years ago.

No need for fake pleasantries.

19. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    FFS, stop with the Mexico stuff.

Everyone here likes to beat the pants off of Mexico - dos a cero is delicious as are the complaints of my Mexican friends that we play so ugly but they can't beat us (assuming we go back to what made us better than the sum of our parts).

But the concept of some real hatred for our neighbors to the south? Get over it. Although MB sucked as a team captain and was meh as a player in the last Hex, I was proud of his actions vs. Mex in the Hex wrt the picture.

Once we were out of the tournament, there's nothing wrong with rooting for our fellow CONCACAF teams - the better they do, the better it is for the whole federation.

Finally, wrt to Garber, we all should feel happy that MLS is overpaying Mexican national team members to play in the minors even if they're better than that. They'll pay for it just like we did.

20. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    You get over it. It was great times when there was a real USMNT/MNT rivalry.

i strive for progression. You play the fence.

21. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    #321 DHC1, Mar 6, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    What is the progress for which you’re striving?

Hating Mexico, like we used to? First, we never hated Mexico - We loved beating them.

Second how is going backwards progress?

Don’t say you want a “strong rivalry” when what it readily appears is that you want USMNT fans to hate them like you do and want bad things to happen to them. I want them to fail miserably when facing our team but that’s it.

22. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For what it’s worth, Thomas Müller was miffed, and publically said so, about not only how the announcement was made, but also on the finality of it. Like, he’s 29 or 30 and the coach tells him he is done forever. What if just starts tearing it up next year?

I tend to agree with him. It’s one thing to say “hey, I’m going to give you 3 guys a break for a while and work in some fresh blood, and we’ll see how it goes. If your form picks up we can talk” compared with “thank you, you are done forever with Die Mannschaft”.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  23. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    A FIFA date is coming up. He wants to move on, the players no longer fit. He wasn't going to call them. But he would have received endless questions on it, so they announced it. They told the players first. There was no hiding it.

International football is not for 30 year olds. Germany had a terrible WC and are going to reload with young players. We are doing the same, I hope.

yurch10 repped this.
  24. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

You see, your a fence sitter. You play both sides. You just moved the goal posts from soccer to politics.

It reminds me of the time when you were so proud of creating the Garber derangement "syndrome" nonsense but then agreed to another poster that I was not wrong. You want everyone to like you. To be seen as a great philosopher of Bigsoccer.

I could care less if nobody likes me its a freakin message board. Im not here to find a spouse. , im here to do the job that the us soccer media is to afraid to do because they will lose their jobs. Im here to stand up for American Soccer.

Like it or ignore it.

25. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    One thing our experienced players should have learned by now is the profession they chose can be cold and harsh at times. I'm not worried about hurt feelings I'm worried that we have a coach who's afraid to move us forward.