Official: 2020 Rumor and Roster Moves Thread

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by ragbone, Oct 8, 2019.

1. kaburu

kaburu Member+

Jul 12, 2009
    los angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

2. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not worth bringing Zlatan back if we can't put a credible defense behind him.

ragbone and Beirut repped this.
  3. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You are an optimistic person Gamer.

Allessandrini averaged 12 goals and 10 assists for his two healthy seasons ('17 & '18) so he might be able to do what you ask. But he also had 0 goals and 1 assist in his 5 starts last year so there is some question whether he still has the quickness he needs to be effective with his style of play. But there at least there is hope.

But as far as Lletget and JDS -- over the past three seasons each of them have averaged 2 or fewer goals and 3 or fewer assists. If I'm correctly reading your goals they would require them to suddenly quadruple or quintuple their usual output. Of course anything can happen. But I'm taking the under.

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  4. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is everyone obsessing about goal-scoring? We were a fairly high scoring team this season while missing one of our attacking DPs for most of the season. Only 2 or 3 teams outscored us. We outscored both Cup finalists. Which is why I say I wouldn't mind having a striker that scores less if he can put in a full 90 minutes and helps your team keeps shape, like Ruidiaz who most would agree had a better playoffs than Martinez or Zlatan.

5. ragbone

ragbone Member+

Sep 2, 2005
    Santo Tomas, Batangas, Philippines.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Problem is, IMO, that is a near impossible task with him on the field.

6. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well that was fun

Geneva, MPNumber9, TOAzer and 7 others repped this.
  7. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Conquered what?

Berks, ragbone, GalaxyOne and 3 others repped this.
  8. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    That is a pretty good indication he is gone.

I really hope we have a star player lined up to replace him. I know it might not be the smartest move, I do like seeing us go for the european big names and making the league hate us.

73Bruin repped this.
  9. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia

The baxter has spoken.

MPNumber9, TrickHog, GalaxyOne and 3 others repped this.
  10. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like any good Conquistador, Zlatan declares himself "Conqueror of the Seas" and then keeps on sailing.................
    The Sea itself decides what the hell that is supposed to mean/

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  11. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll miss him but this is probably for the best.

We have a lot of salary flexibility and 1 or 2 DP spots available. Time to see if GBS and DTK have a plan.

Our biggest constraint might be international spots. We need a few more productive yanks in the squad.

Skevin, MPNumber9, TrickHog and 4 others repped this.
  12. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    #187 73Bruin, Nov 13, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    Not with smart, hardworking, talented defenders. Unfortunately, the Galaxy haven't had those in years. There was nobody on the 2019 roster, including Romney and Steres, who would have started for any of the 2009 to 2014 clubs. It's hard to have a winning club with bench level talent starting all the way across the back four.

And now that Zlatan is leaving, the Galaxy are looking to access a minus 31 goal differential. Let's allow that they get a top 7 striker with 15 goals next year. That still leaves them 16 goals in the hole. Unless they drastically improve their defenders, they won't make the playoffs.

TrickHog and ProudNatRN repped this.
  13. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #188 skydog, Nov 13, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    I never bought this argument - there were sooooooooooo many times our defense gave up easy goals that had nothing to do with him. Sooooo many times Skjklk let his marks get wide open as he stood and ball watched. Sooooo many times Rolf pushed up while leaving attackers wide open just outside our box or got spun like a top and allowed crosses or shots by opposing wing attackers. Sooo many times Bingham just boomed the ball upfield even though the team hadn't start to push out and wasn't prepared for it. Soooo many times our midfielders failed to track back with late runners and just watched them overload our back line. Sooooo many times the entire team pushed up into the opponents box with no regard for positional balance and ensuring any turnover would allow an immediate 50 yard unimpeded counter attack. And GBS allowed the team to repeat this mistake over and over for an entire season.

Yes Ibra was poor at pressing which is less than ideal for top notch defenses. But he didn't cause Skjokj's suckitude or Rolf's defensive suckitude or the whole teams lack of basic tactical awareness. He didn't create the open acreage in the middle of the field we kept leaving for counterattackers to romp through with little resistance. Ibra has never been great at pressing but he's played on plenty of teams with great defenses. Ours just wasn't one of them.

galvanator, 73Bruin, JPAR and 2 others repped this.
  14. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welp now that Ibra is out I guess we can hang up all earlier comments lol!!

Now we most make Romain a TAM player and find a new striker to replace Ibra. This would mean 2 potential DP slots to fill since Pavon wouldn't count as one until 2021.
    We need a LeftBack a RightBack, a Right Winger, a Forward and a Goalkeeper.

Geneva, TrickHog, shelbo and 2 others repped this.
  15. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Thank you for all the memories Zlatan. On a individual plan, he delivered way more than we all expected, and he was deadly in El Trafico. Eternal respect for this.

Now time to move on and try to get on par with MLS 3.0 and sign a young and more mobile striker, our own Josef, Ruidiaz, Fernandez or Bou.

Skevin, Geneva, MPNumber9 and 5 others repped this.
  16. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Again this is probably false. DTK (or GBS I don't remember) hinted that Pavon will probably be a DP alongside Jona next year. We have one DP spot to fill (as of now, wait for the new CBA), and it likely will be with a striker.

mbar repped this.
  17. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    This ^^^

GalaxyOne repped this.
  18. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Gonna miss him. Absolute Legend.

19. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm with @LEM-LAG on this. Ibra was a blast but I'm ready to move on from the one and done or two and done models. I don't like that process for my college b-ball team (looking at you Duke) and I don't like it for the Galaxy. It's time we sign someone we can expect to be our forward for years to come, our new Donovan or Keane. I want someone who will be here long enough to really bleed Galaxy blue and gold, long enough for me to see him as one of our own. No more mercenaries or stop-overs. That means we need to bring in a striker who is in his 20's.* He can a super talented 22yo who is on his way up or a 27yo with many good years left. But no more aging Eurostars. Such younger talented players are expensive but if we are willing to shell out $5 to $10 mil/yr salary and a multimillion transfer fee we will probably be able to find one. (Hint: Check out Argentina or Uruguay or Croatia).

*The rare exception would be a generational talent like Keane who came here at age 31 but still excelled for several years because his scoring was built on skill and deception, not on speed.

Berks, shelbo, Geneva and 4 others repped this.
  20. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    That won't be hard. Could set tranfermarkt to pick a 200k defender at random and it will be an upgrade for every Galaxy defender not named Polenta.

We also need to use the money from Kitchen's salary to add a defensive minded, hard nosed, high work rate midfielder - think a 28yo Larentowicz or Dax McCarty.

21. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I doubt that it'll be that easy. Curt, Pete and Jovan certainly got it wrong when they signed Skjelvik and Rolf. Even DTK screwed up when he signed Gonzalez for 3 times that amount.

22. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Corner of the Galaxy pod we are shopping him around

Berks and skydog repped this.
  23. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yes Curt, Pete and Jovan got it about as wrong as you could. That's why I think throwing at names on a dartboard would have worked out better.

24. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless they start winning, of course... then it will be really easy.

25. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fun about 20%, maybe 30% of the time, yes.