Official: 2019 Rumor and Roster Moves Thread

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by The Beautiful Gamer, Oct 29, 2018.

1. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dark Cloud #1:

Klein is still employed by this club.

7E23, napper, TOAzer and 4 others repped this.
  2. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dark Cloud #2: Gio is still on the payroll.

7E23, napper, TOAzer and 2 others repped this.
  3. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Gio being on the payroll is so much more than a dark cloud. If the story about Klein wanting a Mexican on this team to draw fans is true, and even more so if it was over Bruce's objection, it is the justification for firing Klein and whoever else approved that decision. If he stays, it means that Galaxy management values money in hand over success on the field and the potential profits that winning can bring.

rokstedy, WarGalaxy and The Cadaver repped this.
  4. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We had a championship winning team and that didn’t bring more butts in seats, TV viewers, or STHs. Gio brought sellouts in his first 2 seasons. Ibra has pulled in fans. This is the unfortunate reality at the moment.

WarGalaxy and generaladmissision18 repped this.
  5. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    At times we had a championship team playing some to the best soccer in league history with the captain or formate captains of England, America and Ireland playing and still couldn’t sell out the stadium.

Another era we had the greatest soccer player of all time announcing his retirement while chasing the league goal scoring and assists record not to mention an unprecedented 5th MLS Cup and still couldn’t sell out the stadium.

As for Gio being responsible for sell outs that’s debatable. LA’s sellouts of 2015-2016 started when Gerrard arrived, dos Santos added to that, but he’s been unable to consistently draw a crowd as the sole draw for the Galaxy. His annual shirt sales have never been that great either.

The “hire a famous Mexican” is a Galaxy tactic as old as the Galaxy itself and it’s never produced more than a temporary bump in attendance.

6. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    So it must be location then. Honestly though, for those folks who are in the marketing biz, is it marketing that has failed the Gs? The initial buzz of a big signing can only last so long, but it seems that there needs to be constant marketing to hold onto the buzz. Rightly or wrongly, the Gs seem to have a mickey mouse vibe to it. Not urban hip like what LAFC is trying to brand itself as, but not quite truly family/blue collar either. The Gs vibe since like the mid to late 2000s seem fake to me. They've rested on their laurels too much.

Berks and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  7. JPAR

JPAR Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It's also a lack of Saturday night games, which seem to get fewer each year. Hard to sell out Friday or Sunday, even more so with two NFL teams in town.

LAFC is still a novelty and they have a significantly smaller stadium.

8. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tend to agree that LAFC popularity, longevity is still a wait and see.

They seem to be marketing to the machismo side of LA. It’s the raider nation fans they seem to attracting. I think they’re trying to get the urban hip vibe too. But those attendees won’t stick around if the ******** chants drown them out. South central has seemed to claim this team. That’s not going to go over too well with all the Silverlake, Arts District patrons they thought they could attract too.

Unfortunately that toxic fandom has infected Dodger games, and it boarders on local nationalism. I’ve sat in sections at Dodgers games where Dodger fans put in more effort heckling and jeering opposing fans, then they do cheering the play on the field.

As for the Galaxy games it seems like there’s something for everyone. Between the supporter group sections and family section and everywhere in between. However i could really do without the kids playing soccer on the field at halftime.

I think a lot of the issues is the FO not standing up for the supporters. They want that grass roots feeling like in Portland, but they don’t know how to cultivate die hard support. The marketing for the past 2 and half years has been all about Gio. Now it’s all about Zlatan. I can’t remember the last time the team put something out that specifically focused on either of the dos Santos brothers. Their marketing is just PR without a purpose.

MPNumber9 and hav77 repped this.
  9. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Don't worry. Chris Thomas will take care of it.

Beakmon FC and hav77 repped this.
  10. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I wish people would stop insulting my Raiders like that. :(

It's not really true though either. L.A. Raider fans are old school.(F the lambs and dolts) Except for ChivasUSA leftovers, lafc has attracted the younger crowds who seem to want to emulate extreme "Ultras".

mbar and hav77 repped this.
  11. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Actually, the Rams are old school. They were the team of my childhood through early adulthood. I gave up on them after Georgia fired Steve Rosenbloom and screwed things up. I started becoming a fan again last year. I was a LA Raider fan and season ticket holder from the time they arrived in LA until the started trying to leave. I figured that Al in his dotage didn't want my support any longer.

As for the LAFC crowd, based upon what I saw on TV for the RSL game, the less said the better.

kaburu and hav77 repped this.
  12. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is what i said insulting to the raiders? Black and gold / silver and black are two sides of the same coin. It’s obvious that they were marketing to appeal to them.

That’s the only reason you’d have all your fans and players in all black in this constant desert SoCal heat.

13. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It was a half joke.

I do agree they may be marketing to a certain fan, I just don't think their abhorrent behavior is caused by members of Raider Nation among their fans.

WarGalaxy repped this.
  14. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Latest CoG podcast seems to indicate te Kloese has fallen through.

The Beautiful Gamer and TrickHog repped this.
  15. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Same guy who said we weren't getting Zlatan and IF we did he would be a sub?

16. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    To be fair, Baxter confirmed it in an LA TImes article last night. Seems like De Kloese turned it down. Might be he wants more money or our club isn't the go to club anymore.

Ali Curtis?

TOAzer, WarGalaxy, hav77 and 1 other person repped this.
  17. shelbo

shelbo Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    L.A.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you think it might be a good idea to hire a head coach for next year? Or am I just being silly?

18. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Having a head coach didn't seem to help this year.

Berks, shelbo, GalaxyKoa and 6 others repped this.
  19. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am still okay with Dom as the coach if we can't find better. I am fearful about who will get the GM job though.

20. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The longer we go without a GM and coach, the more convinced I am that 2019 will be more of the same ol' Klein shit.

Hope they prove me wrong by hiring a competent GM very soon, but I'm thinking it's taking a long time because no one wants the job and/or Klein has hired someone but that someone is horribly underwhelming and they'll sneak the news in at an appropriate time.

21. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone think Leighton Baines could do a job for us, as Cole’s replacement?

He was rumored and linked with us over the summer. Also it seems that Everton has moved on from him and are only using Baines as sub in league matches and only starting him in the cup games.

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  22. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  23. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Longer we wait the more that complicates getting a coach, moving Gio, giving Zlatan a raise.

The Beautiful Gamer and shelbo repped this.
  24. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I think the longer they wait to name a GM, the more likely that Bruce gets the GM position and then if he doesn't want the coaching position it goes to Dom with Bruce as the mid-season alternative.

The Beautiful Gamer and WarGalaxy repped this.
  25. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it possible the league has imposed a news blackout until cup is over?

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.