Official 2019-20 Sand League Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Games & Fantasy' started by Hal, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Sonabert

Sonabert Member+

Jul 29, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    good analysis , i like my lonely lily pad route,never been one to follow the majority ... time will tell

2. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    I mentioned De Bruyne and Gomez as a couple of players who I had begun to think would fall to me and were snatched right beforehand, and Martial was another that I was thinking would be there if I just waited another round. Those were drafting moments of disappointment.

On the other hand, my bias for the Leicester attack is now known, but I had agonized about whether to take one of Maddison, Perez, or Tielemans with the 4th pick, precisely because I didnt think any of them would return to me for the 5/6 turn. When Maddison went as the next pick in the 4th round, I knew there was no chance that we could go all the way down and back without Perez and Tielemans being draftes. I certainly didnt plan to take both Perez and Tielemans at 5/6, as I didn't think either would return.

The other 2 that surprised me were to get Lanzini at 13 and Stones as pick 120 to end the draft. Time will tell, but those picks cheered me up as we pulled into the station. And, truth be told, the combination of getting a healthy Lanzini as my 5th mid and spending 5.5 on my last defender rather than squirreling away the cash will make it hard for me to participate in the Pepe lottery tomorrow.

Norm Coyle repped this.
  3. Norm Coyle

Norm Coyle Member+

Jul 14, 2015
    Fort Washington, Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Aubameyang pick was the most disturbing and should have been passed so that I could have both Arsenal strikers. Unforgiveable:ROFLMAO:

4. Norm Coyle

Norm Coyle Member+

Jul 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also Pépé has texted me this morning that he only wants to sign with Stormin Gunners, so you should all be disgruntled about this and let him go where he wants...

DrHeckle repped this.
  5. Tpadams

Tpadams Member

Liverpool FC
    England
    Jul 29, 2019
    Interesting analysis, thanks. Let's hope my actual points bear some relation to this!

As a first-time drafter in this format, the thing that I got caught by was budget was more of an issue than I expected. Early on I assumed that since any given team will likely only have one player £10m, whereas our 'normal' teams may have 2-3, that I wouldn't hit budget constraints, but that clearly became wrong as we went on.

The range of money ITB is interesting though - one team has £6m left but I spent every penny. I think this partly is because I took Sane who is probably overpriced for how much he'll actually play...

DrHeckle repped this.
  6. pato2384

pato2384 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    The most painful choice was the one after seeing your top choices chosen right before your go next...uggh.

7. Norm Coyle

Norm Coyle Member+

Jul 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s what I had with Aubameyang picked right before my pick. But Mane is a solid 1st pick also...

8. Norm Coyle

Norm Coyle Member+

Jul 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hoping Ozil isn’t a bust but maybe he will return to form?

9. David Bartels

David Bartels Member

Minnesota United, Liverpool, Daegu FC
    United States
    Jul 28, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the write up! I agree, we seemed to have players ranked similarly- nice of the randomizer to place us at the turn where we could frustrate each other. Hoping some of my less popular picks pay off- I enjoyed this draft as it gave me a chance to get some players that I think are in line for a good season but that I don't own in the global FPL game due to price (e.g. Doherty).

Best of luck everyone!