Official: 2018 Rumor and Roster Moves Thread

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by TrickHog, Sep 21, 2017.

1. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I think the Galaxy should take Baines if Everton were to take Gio. Of course, I think the Galaxy should also right a check for a $1mm or more to Everton or anyone else, if they would just take Gio no compensation required. Heck $2mm if they take dos Dos Santos.

hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  2. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Geoff makes sense per skydog's point, but I agree with Geneva as well. Locker room cancer, and after the USMNT incidents, and the commentary about MLS, honestly, BLEGH.

skydog and Geneva repped this.
  3. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just catching up a bit on this thread. I think we should jump at Cameron if we can get him. While the Galaxy are winning now, Ciani still seems a weak link, and if we shore up our defense, this team could actually make a good run at the MLS Cup. Cameron is at least the equal to Omar. What is the issue with his attitude, though, that he basically said if JK had not been replaced, that the US would have qualified for the WC?

4. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    TrickHog and mbar repped this.
  5. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know nothing of this man... he's a center back you say? SIGN HIM!

6. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we're not looking in Europe. OTOH, this guy's resume looks pretty underwhelming. I'm guessing this is Kurt Schmid's contribution?

Sigi: We need an upgrade at CB.

Kirovski: We have some guys that can't get minutes in France...?

Sigi: Ah....what about you Kurt?

Kurt: I'm checking the Panama NT's wiki as we speak!

Beakmon FC, Skevin, rokstedy and 6 others repped this.
  7. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
  8. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He's left back so there is that.

TrickHog and mbar repped this.
  9. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Skevin and TrickHog repped this.
  10. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Yes Yes Yes. I am czech, and when I saw NYCFC linked with him I was bummed because he is exactly what we need for that spot. He can play wingback very well, or left mid well. He can even fill in at center back in a pinch.

29 and wouldn't be a DP, and he'd fill a spot we desperately need. I pray we somehow steal this signing.

hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  11. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting article over at the Athletic if anyone is a subscriber:

https://theathletic.com/445734/2018...built-the-last-place-galaxy-then-came-zlatan/

It's behind a paywall but I'll quote a few things that I think we've been wondering about as far as who's in charge of player acquisitions...

Despite the club-worst campaign, however, the Galaxy didn’t blow things up. In fact, AEG, the Galaxy’s owner, went in the opposite direction, removing Vagenas as general manager (he remained vice president of soccer operations) and expanding Schmid’s role to oversee all player personnel decisions. Klein, meanwhile, signed a five-year contract extension.

It was a surprising series of moves after such a disastrous season.

“It’s our ownership group and Dan Beckerman and AEG understanding all the things we do,” Klein said. “A vote of confidence, or the continuation of things we’ve been doing since 2010-11. We know what needs to be done, we know how to succeed in this league. Is it always going to happen? No, this is sports. You go through cycles of success and cycles where you’re not as good.”

and later in the article:

“There are pieces of this where you wouldn’t look and say, ‘Oh wow, that fits your standard [formation],’” Klein said. “Yeah, these don’t fit exactly. … [but] is it an embarrassment of riches, or is it too much loaded in one position? I think that’s what Sigi has to figure out.”

From the outside, it looked like LA wasn’t quite sure how it wanted to build the squad.

While Schmid has final say on the roster, scouting and identifying players is “a collaborative process,” according to Klein. And when it comes to Designated Players like Ibrahimovic, he said, “there are times when I’ll get involved, where [AEG President] Dan Beckerman will get involved, and where [Galaxy owner] Phil Anschutz will get involved.”

Signing Ibrahimovic for $1.5 million was a no-brainer, according a Schmid.

There is quite a bit more in the article but I don't want to violate copyright. Let me also plug the Athletic as a fantastic place to get sports news from top writers and well worth the subscription charge.

If a moderator things I posted too much of the article, please let me know.

CoronaOrange, Berks, MPNumber9 and 11 others repped this.
  12. 7E23

7E23 Member+

Jul 7, 2008
    Long Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoa whoa whoa whoa... we said that about Ciani and look how that turned out.

13. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I was browsing TransferMarkt and they updated Omar's status. He is apparently still under contract to Pachuca until 06/30/2019 (which may or not be a change). Per their info, he was loaned with an option to buy to Atlas. If this is correct, I don't think he is a potential target for the Galaxy any longer as I don't think he is free to negotiate a deal with a new club until 1/1/2019.

Frankly, I don't know who if anyone the Galaxy might be interested in signing with their top allocation order spot and without a DP spot. Nor do I know, if it has any trade value any longer as it goes away on the first day after the season.

14. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Transfer window closes on the 9th. Does this FO really believe this team can beat an Atlanta on their turf, let alone getting through the Western playoffs? The more I see out of them, the more I realize it's all about money to this FO. The right things to do would definitely cost us financially but, they aren't willing to do what it takes to really win anything. They talk a good game but, they reached too far on Gio and Gerrard and weren't/aren't willing to cut those losses, to the detriment of the teams' success and my sanity.

73Bruin repped this.
  15. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    With Dan "the bean counter" Beckerman in charge of AEG and the Galaxy, this is pretty much what you would unfortunately expect.

16. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just don’t think you can level a “cheap” charge on our FO. We are spending tons of money. The problem is the players they decided to spend it on are underperforming those contracts. Gio the worst culprit but for sure Ciani and svekliftdfgf as well.

I think the FO is afraid to admit mistakes and move on from some of these contracts (even at a loss) and that’s their biggest crime.

17. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just training or....

TrickHog repped this.
  18. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I agree with this entirely, it still is "all about the money" in this sense: as long as they continue to draw well and make money off sponsorship deals and TV, there is less concern about whether the team is quality or not. Mediocrity from a soccer standpoint is not a problem as long as the cash cow keeps churning,

L.A. Native repped this.
  19. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Well after conceding 8 goals in 4 games and somehow not losing any of those matches, we really need to focus on defense immediately.

Cole is a liability at this point. We really need to replace him if we want to achieve anything this season.

skydog, JPAR and The Cadaver repped this.
  20. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I saw this reported on twitter by numerous people, but Sigi made it clear that we're trying to add defense reinforcements but we need to get rid of someone to make room in the salary cap. So far no luck.

Klein also said that Cameron is a good defender but won't be our defender.

Another top allocation spot, another waste. If we don't get defense help--- and good denfensive help, we're doomed. We cannot sustain these Zlatan inspired comebacks week in and week out.

We're due to crash back down to Earth.

The Cadaver, Skevin, WarGalaxy and 4 others repped this.
  21. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, we need a defender. A stud d-mid would be nice, too...

skydog repped this.
  22. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Pretty risky, but Jan Kirchhoff is available as a free agent. Injuries have really taken their toll on him these past couple years, but apparently he is fit now. He is a 6'5" center back or DM.

23. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you can only move and replace one of Cole, Ciani, Skjelvik or Romney, who would you choose?

24. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Likely Cole since he is older and move Skjelvik to the LWB position, and play a back line of Romney, Ciani (or Cole replacement), and Rolf (ok, typing this out, this back line looks really scary).

Berks repped this.
  25. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regardless of what anyone thinks the correct answer is this question, there are three internationals in shortlist making a total of $1.95m/$2.34m (base/guaranteed). Not a good look.

natfaninla, skydog, ProudNatRN and 3 others repped this.