Official 2018 Nadeshiko Japan Thread [R] - なでしこジャパン(英語スレッド)

Discussion in 'Japan' started by blissett, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    First of all, welcome on board, Pierre, and congratulations for the choice of your avatar (Magritte being probably my favourite painter). :thumbsup:

About your points: it's obvious that, two years after being put in charge, Takakura is still tinkering a lot with the team. In part, I guess she can't do otherwise (any way you look at it, this generation doesn't have the same level of talent as the one from 2011 WWC), in part it sometimes almost seems like she's looking for troubles with some very particular choices of players or positioning. I have to give her some credit, because it's exactly this kind of apparently odd choices that led her to the win 2014 U-17 WWC, one of the most impressive display of complete dominance by a team that I've ever seen in an international tournament. On the other hand, she can't think that any "odd choice" can always pay and that she can simply repeat what she did at youth level, that's in fact a competly different animal from senior level.

As I said before, I guess the moment of truth will be AFC Cup; in the end, Algarve Cup remain a glorified set of friendly matches, made difficult by weather conditions and lack of fitness by our players who are at the beginning of the season. If these matches will reveal the correct preparation for AFC and we will get some good results there, then Takakura will be allowed to claim she's on the right track. If Japan will look as mediocre at AFC as they looked at Algarve instead, then it will be correct to start discussing Takakura. Until then, I guess it's fair to suspend the judgement (although, as you rightfully noticed, two years is already a lot of time to make things right, and we should have already seen some light at the end of the tunnel).

About your more specific points. In the past I could have agreed with you about Nakajma, who had often seemed a ball-waster to me in the years around 2015-16. Right now, I don't agree anymore, since she seemed a key-player to me in 2017 instead. Ok, her best matches were often against quite mediocre teams (for instance, Switzerland, that was just demolished by Italy in Cyprus Cup), but I quite like the way she was moving on the pitch and she was giving depth to the team last season. This Algarve was really sub-optimal from her, but I will blame it mostly on her poor fitness: I am persuaded that a fit Nakajima can be an effective starter for the team (if a little fragile by a physical point of view: but this can be said for our best technical talents also: Iwabuchi, Hasegawa...; of course, as M.N. noticed, they have to be protected more by referees).

About Hasegawa, I agree with you that she's one of our best hopes, although she has to find continuity at high level and her play has to become a little more pragmatic. She already does a lot as a winger: you see her more as a central play-maker? In fact, at last U-20 WWC some of her triangles with Momiki were outstanding: would you care to elaborate how you would see an optimal starting midfield for Nadeshiko Japan?

2. unepomme

unepomme Member+

Jan 21, 2010
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Manchester Nadeshiko and blissett repped this.
  3. unepomme

unepomme Member+

Jan 21, 2010
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    U 20 Championship
    Group C:
    Japan USA Spain Paraguay

KAPIJXM and blissett repped this.
  4. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Group of death(group B is close though)...but if they top this group the bracket from C/D after that looks easier than A/B...
    [​IMG]

blissett repped this.
  5. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    So were the venues for U-20 WWC matches also decided?

6. Nadeshiko18

Nadeshiko18 Member

Dec 3, 2015
    Germany
    Yes, Japan will play as C2 in Concarneau and Vannes:

6 August: Japan vs USA, Concarneau 19:30 CET
    9 August: Spain vs Japan, Concarneau 16:30 CET
    13 August: Japan vs Paraguay, Vannes 13:30 CET

7. KAPIJXM

KAPIJXM Member+

Nov 18, 2011
    Illa de Arousa,Spain
    Club:
    Celta de Vigo
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    How many times already Japan is in the same group with these 3 teams? Is something very curious for me. I remember first U-17 WWC with USA and Paraguay in the group or in U-17 2014 WWC with Paraguay and Spain and again last U-20 WWC with Spain again.

blissett repped this.
  8. KAPIJXM

KAPIJXM Member+

Nov 18, 2011
    Illa de Arousa,Spain
    Club:
    Celta de Vigo
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    #633 KAPIJXM, Mar 8, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    Today is (or was, depend on the side of the world you live) the Women's international day, and I don't want to finish this day without writing this in a forum where I always feel accepted and almost everybody treats me well:

Being a woman in some countries or places is very difficult even today, and in the world of sports is not very different, and one of the sports more undervalued in terms of men and women is our very dear football (or soccer). Women are fighting since some time ago for being treat the same way the men do, and I'm not refering to gain the same ridiculous account of money that some men "stars" do. I'm refering to give the same oportunities, so all the women footballers can live as a profesional and don't have to work in other jobs that only quit valuable time to do the thing they really love.

And I am writing this today, because I need to get something out of my chest after I read some offensive comments about female football only because of a video where some players of Liga Iberdrola (spanish league) comment about some of the things I wrote above, nothing more. That "people" (if I can call them like that) think that women footballers only want to gain a lot of money, and everyone that knows a little about this beautiful world knows that that comment is absolutely false. These ladies only want to be treated the same way they treat the men footballers, and, like I said above, to can live as a professionals with no restrains or silly excuses. They say too that women's football is bored, of bad quality and that nobody cares about them (nothing new, unfortunately). But I watched all this people here, in other threads about female football (not only nadeshiko) and all the people who was in Wembley watching the Olympic final in 2012 (and not a few, they were about 60.000 souls) or the people who watch the last 2 world cups with games with 30.000 or 40.000 people (for example, in any of the games of my favorurite team, in a stadium with 35.000 of capacity, never reach to that numbers) and I don't watch a sport that nobody cares, I watch a sport where their fans suffer the same or more than any other sport fan and feel with intensity every second of a match. Is true that sometimes, a match can be bored, but in men's football too, so I think we are going the good way to leave this unfair critics behind and keep supporting this wonderful sport and get the things they deserve.

Sorry for the long post and goodnight (or morning) everyone :thumbsup:

9. Manchester Nadeshiko

Ehime F.C. Ladies
    Japan
    Mar 26, 2017
    U.K.
    You make a lot of valid points in your post KAP.The one I think most important is the one above.Only when things have moved forward to the point where girls can see their heros playing football as full time professionals and are able to consider their love of football as a career the same way young lads are encouraged to do will we get anywhere.Like you imply it's not about making piles of money it's about seeing football as a 'job' that women do and men do.

#5nadeshikofan, KAPIJXM and blissett repped this.
  10. Manchester Nadeshiko

Ehime F.C. Ladies
    Japan
    Mar 26, 2017
    U.K.
    This is the problem.....I don't think she does and because of that she doesn't know the best system either.

I think Takakura knows the players who are going to form the 'core' of the team and that 'core' defineately includes the industrious Emi Nakajima on the right of midfield.I would agree with her if that is the case.Her work rate is exemplary,she will chase lost causes all day and I think she is still on an upward curve in terms of her skills and more importantly her confidence on the pitch.

Welcome pierre.

11. pierre bezukhov

pierre bezukhov Member+

AC Milan
    Japan
    Mar 7, 2018
    Japan
    Yeah I think she played on the wing all the time with the Under 20's team, but she had quite a bit more freedom with them. I am not saying she has to start in the centre, but moving her there when they are having no luck breaking down teams is definitely something they have to think about more.

In the Denmark match in the second half she played more centrally, and I thought the team looked a lot better with her scurrying around harassing players. The key is, she is fast! And actually runs at players with the ball, and her off the ball movement is also fantastic.

I just think she could provide a different option late in games.

If she was to start in the centre I do not know who would play along side her. Nadeshiko seem to be playing a 4-4-2, so where can Hasegawa play other than the wing? Either way I think they need Utsugi as a holding midfielder, particularly against good teams. The back four need cover.

I like Takakura, but I am starting to worry a little bit, though I am certain Nadeshiko will qualify for the world cup without too many problems.

12. pierre bezukhov

pierre bezukhov Member+

AC Milan
    Japan
    Mar 7, 2018
    Japan
    Fair enough. I like her work rate too, but this tournament I think she has not played her best and I would like to see more pressure put on her for her position.

blissett and Manchester Nadeshiko repped this.
  13. Manchester Nadeshiko

Ehime F.C. Ladies
    Japan
    Mar 26, 2017
    U.K.
    Fair comment....but I don't think we can say anyone has played at their best in Algarve Cup 2018 with possibly the exception of Shimizu

Hasegawa in centre midfield is probably only one of the few 'experiments' that Takakura hasn't tried.....perhaps Sakaguchi-- Hasegawa in the middle with Nakajima on one side and I don't know who on the other side but then where does Rumi Utsugi fit in because Rumi surely must be one of Takakura's 'core' players.It's like juggling bars of soap!

You....me....and I suspect a few others around here also.I'm still a Takakura believer.

A couple of Algarve Cup bits and pieces to finnish.
    How many times have you been at an international match and the opposition supporters have had more people singing the national anthem than your own?
    Pre Japan v Canada.....two of us Nadeshiko's were able to sing their anthem chapter and verse (as well as our own) whilst listening to their solitary singer to our left. (he took it in good part)
    And finally.... The true winner of the Algarve Cup was the lady at the bus station shop who had the foresight to stock up with raincoats and umbrellas and is probably able to retire on the proceeds.

p.s. Did anybody notice how 'grumpy' Sakaguchi was all tournament.....throwing the ball away during the Denmark game then piling in on Canada player after they wrecked Shimizu?

blissett repped this.
  14. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, and what's probably the best discovery from this Algarve gets injured and will most likely have to skip AFC! :cry: How much cursed are we?

She indeed knew how bad it was to miss Shimizu (and how thuggish some Canadian players have been: she cares for her diminutive team-mate from both NT and Beleza, and wants to protect her!).
    But, let's face it: isn't Mizuho often a little grumpy? :p She just has been a little more than usual: her smiles are as precious as they are scarce on the pitch, where she uses to prefer a more "serious" look. :giggle:

15. GunnerTNB

GunnerTNB Member+

Apr 4, 2011
    São Paulo
    Club:
    Botafogo Rio Janeiro
    #640 GunnerTNB, Mar 10, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  16. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Thank you very much, @GunnerTNB! I wasn't hoping anymore to retrieve this kind of info!!! :eek:

I am happy that we have so many "silent" followers and that what we post generates interest for them: by the way, welcome back @GunnerTNB: long time no see, but I suppose you're anyway following the thread, at least from time to time if not regularly! :ninja::)

So we just witnessed our worst defeat in the last 15-16 years! It's sure impressive! :unsure:

And we hadn't anyway much results that were worse in our recent history: I am not really good at Japanese, but I can at least count the worse results, even if I can't really tell each opponent. I am going to do that right now... (*statistics geek in action*).

GunnerTNB repped this.
  17. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    By painfully using a Google translator at each step, I managed to piece together from the file provided by GunnerTNB (courtesy of JFA :p) all of the results in Nadeshiko Japan's history that were as bad as our recent 2-6 defeat, or worse. Luckily for me there are "only" about 37 years of Nadeshiko Japan history, and in the first years Japan didn't anyway play much (five games in 1981, including some tournament called "Utopia '81", then three full years of stop, until 1984 :eek:; three games in that year, in some mysterious "Xi'an Invitational", then another stop until January 1986! It can't surprise that most of our worse defeats came in those years: you couldn't really say that we could be very fit and well-trained with something like 8 games in 5 full years :D). Also luckily for me, there really weren't many losses that could be compared with the one we recently witnessed: only 18 matches (19 counting the latest one) out of 350 in our history were equal or worse to 2-6 (the total matches are the 232 from JFA file + 118 from the recent Wikpedia entry I had found: apparently there is an historical gap between summer 2008 and 2010, when only 3 games are recorded, while probably some more were played).

Of course, there were other bad losses with result like 1-4 or 2-5 (most notably the final of WWC 2015), but I didn't count them because, even if Japan had taken 4 or 5 goals, the goal difference was anyway less than 4.

It appears the teams that used to school us this way in the past were mostly China (4 such losses, 2 by a 4 goal margin, 2 by more), USA (4 such losses, 2 by a 4 goals margin, 2 by more, including being tied for our worse defeat ever, a 0-9) and, quite surprisingly, Italy :) (4 such losses, 2 by a 4 goal margin, 2 by more, including being tied for our worse defeat ever, another 0-9). Obviously, Japan met Italy in those years pre-World-Cup-existence, when Italy was still one of the powers of women's football. Other losses were to Canada, Norway, Australia, England, Sweden, Russia (now Netherlands join them).

Among the losses with a 4 goals margin, there was only another 2-6, to Australia in 1984 (others were three 1-5 and six 0-4): so, apart from being one of the worse results in our history, our loss to Netherlands was also a quite uncommon one, an actual oddity.

In the lists below, I gave the results (from more recent one to oldest one), the dates, the teams that defeated us and the circumstances when they happened: in some cases these are well-know international events, in others they're tournament I didn't know about (probably the names for some glorified set of friendly matches that were popular at the time, as Tournament of Nations is these days): when I wasn't sure about my translation or anyway I had never heard of such a tournament, I added a question mark (?). In a pair cases, even the file didn't have any name for the tournament (probably some kind of random double-header vs USA).

Here are the lists: enjoy!

Nadeshiko Japan results with the same margin as our recent 2-6 defeat to Netherlands (total: 10):
    - 0-4 on 2002/08/27, to China (EAFF Cup? Although still not-official, I guess, since first official EAFF Cup was in 2005)
    - 1-5 on 2000/06/10,to Canada (Pan Pacific Cup)
    - 0-4 on 1996/07/25 to Norway (Olympics 1996 in Atlanta; interesting tidbit: first women's football olympic tournament ever, Homare Sawa and Asako Takakura were on the pitch :))
    - 0-4 on 1996/05/16 to USA (US Women's Cup?)
    - 0-4 on 1995/06/13 to USA (quarter finals of WWC 1995 in Sweden)
    - 0-4 on 1989/01/16 to China (Xiamen international Convention?)
    - 1-5 on 1986/07/19 to Italy (Mundialito 1986, in Italy)
    - 1-5 on 1984/10/24 to Italy (Xi'an Invitational in China?)
    - 2-6 on 1984/10/22 to Australia (Xi'an Invitational in China?)
    - 0-4 on 1981/09/06 to England (Utopia '81 Tournament?)

Nadeshiko Japan results worse than our recent 2-6 defeat to Netherlands (total: 8):

- 0-5 on 1999/06/23, to Russia (group stage of WWC 1999 in USA)
    - 0-7 on 1999/05/02, to USA (??? Some kind of friendly)
    - 0-9 on 1999/04/29, to USA (??? Some kind of friendly)
    - 0-8 on 1991/11/19 to Sweden (group stage of WWC 1991 in China)
    - 0-5 on 1991/06/08 to China (final match of AFC Asian Cup 1991 in Japan)
    - 0-5 on 1990/09/27 to China (Asian Games 1990; first women's football tournament ever at Asian Games: no final, only a round robin was played and Japan was second to China; Asako Takakura and Midori Honda on the pitch)
    - 0-6 on 1984/10/17 to Italy (Xi'an Invitational in China?)
    - 0-9 on 1981/09/09 to Italy (Utopia '81 Tournament?)

Edit: actually, I now realized that I just manually found these result in the file and I didn't double-checked the results, so I most likely could have made some mistake. If anyone wants to make a check for me, I would be very grateful! :notworthy:

18. pierre bezukhov

pierre bezukhov Member+

AC Milan
    Japan
    Mar 7, 2018
    Japan
    Those results all look good to me, well bad I guess given some of the losses.

Lechus7 repped this.
  19. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It's worth considering that, out of 37 years of Nadeshiko Japan NT activity, 10 of the worse losses happened in the first decade, between 1981 and 1991. we had only 9 of them in the remaining 27 years :) (in means an average of one in three years).

They were actually just 8 of them, alas, until last month! :x3:

Lechus7 repped this.
  20. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    FFF confirmed two friendlies in concarneau and dinan-lehon next month between france and japan u20, they just did not told us which game was played on the 4th and the other one of the 7th and the kick off time...

21. Manchester Nadeshiko

Ehime F.C. Ladies
    Japan
    Mar 26, 2017
    U.K.
    Will you be able to post details of match on 4,4,2018 when available,Thanks

22. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    yes will do, ticket pricing is 5 Euros as far as i know

Manchester Nadeshiko and blissett repped this.
  23. Manchester Nadeshiko

Ehime F.C. Ladies
    Japan
    Mar 26, 2017
    U.K.
    Japan....March 11th 2011.......We remember.

24. #5nadeshikofan

#5nadeshikofan Member+

May 26, 2012
    Plymouth, Michigan, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    blissett and Lechus7 repped this.