Official 2018 J. League Transfers and Rumors thread

Discussion in 'Japanese Club Football' started by Radu Razvan, Jan 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Yokohama Marinos are said to be interested in signing wondekid Takefusa Kubo on-loan from FC Tokyo:

https://www.sponichi.co.jp/soccer/n...9296000c.html?amp=1&__twitter_impression=true

Meanwhile, it seems the team's coach (Ange) wants to change Yokohama's formation to 3-back in a (3-4-1) or (3-61).
    This was evident in today's match against Nagoya as he played with Nakazawa, Dusan, and Kurihara as 3-backs.
    The club also signs to CBs, Sinnosuke Hatanaka (22, will be 23 years old later this month) from Tokyo Verdy, and Thiago Martins Bueno (23) from Brazilian club Palmieras where he was mostly starter despite his young age (which is a good indication about his qualities and potentials).

This formation change plan is justifiable as the team might lose Yamanaka (if he moves to Turkey), as the team will be with just Matsubara as a side-back/wingback after they loaned-out Shimohira to JEF, and sold Kanai to Nagoya.

One interesting thing about Yokohama's acquisition of the two CBs, is that they both young which shows Ange's inclination to build a team for the future with younger players, especially as both Nakazawa (40) and Kurihara (35) are aging and might not be able to play full season anymore in the next couple of seasons.

2. yanagibashi

yanagibashi Member

Eintracht Braunschweig
    Japan
    Jan 3, 2018
    ange loves showing faith in youth. most of the current socceroos were picked by ange in their early twenties for the world cup. i think it’s perfect for kubo, now it’s up to him to show his undoubted potential.

yamanaka has been great this year, i didn’t know about potential move to turkey. lethal left foot.

Samurai Warrior repped this.
  3. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Kubo's loan to Yokohama Marinos is official now:

He will wear the shirt no. #15.

4. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    1030726725876035591 is not a valid tweet id

1yr loan

5. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Sawai on loan to french 2nd div

6. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Sawai on loan to french 2nd div

7. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    seolseol and Samurai Warrior repped this.
  8. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Him, Minamino, and Nagatomo might be the only Japanese in the Champions League this season depending on what happens with Kagawa.

9. nipponbasse83

nipponbasse83 Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Ichikawa, Chiba, Japan
    Club:
    Consadole Sapporo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway

10. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Great deal both for the player and the club. I think he'll be fine in Moscow.

seolseol repped this.
  11. yanagibashi

yanagibashi Member

Eintracht Braunschweig
    Japan
    Jan 3, 2018
    unexpected but exciting move.

seolseol and Samurai Warrior repped this.
  12. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    1035437073002627072 is not a valid tweet id

Nishimura joins CSKA Moscow

Majster2 and Samurai Warrior repped this.
  13. serpay

serpay Member

May 24, 2017
    Bangkok
    Nat'l Team:
    Thailand
    Samurai Warrior and Majster2 repped this.
  14. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    Not a bad choice imo. This would increase the competitiveness of the league as well as give more incentive for young players to move overseas.
    On the other hand, it means that young local players might have lesser chances in the J league and hence lesser playing time due to more competition from the foreign players.

15. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Meh... aside from (mostly from J1) the quality of some of the foreigners in Japan leaves to be desired. Imho the current slots aren't really exploited well anyway.

16. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    Better than nothing. Most importantly, it would create an environment which encourages the local young players to move abroad.

17. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    it's hard to move abroad when the european team can't see anything about you because you never play. It creates a system where the only way is to organize trials - of players that have not played professional football too. Not so easy...

18. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Daisuke Suzuki has returned to Reysol. Lol.

19. nipponbasse83

nipponbasse83 Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Ichikawa, Chiba, Japan
    Club:
    Consadole Sapporo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I disagree.

The level of the foreigners in J.League has been low for ages, and even though we currently got lots of good ones like Iniesta, Torres, Chanathip, Patrick, Jo etc, there's also tons of journeymen players that would never stand a chance in a comparable league in Europe. Look at Cerezo. Souza is the only good one. Osmar is mediocre/average, while Ricardo Santos probably wouldn't cut it even in J2.

And what does a player like Zlatan Ljubijankic do at Japan's biggest club? He was good 4-5 years ago, but hasn't really brought anything to the team the last couple of seasons. Or how did Ramon Lopes get almost 100 matches at Vegalta/Reysol?

Or Juanma/Jairo at Nagasaki? Players who struggle to get playing time in Segunda B doesn't really raise the level of J.League and is a pure waste of money imho.

And at Gamba, can anyone really say that the likes of Fabio or Ademilson have raised the overall level of the team the last couple of seasons?

There are definitely more examples like this than all-out success stories, and if they want to increase the number of foreigners they have got to make sure the foreign players that are being brought in are actually significantly better than their Japanese counterpart.

The recent increase of good Asian players is very good for the league, and it also gives them a lot of exposure there (and eventually maybe also tv-deals which results in more money), but how many players in SE Asia are there currently that are on Chanathip's level? afaik, the ones that are already in J.League are the current top Thai talents. As for the rest of Asia I wouldn't mind seeing some top Iranian players come, and yhere's lots of good Koreans in the league But we'll probably never see the top Chinese talent play in Japan, for both financial and political reasons.

So that leaves us back to dodgy scouts, poor networking and club management and what will essentially be the clubs wasting resources, money and staff on some C-level Brazilians or some European journeymen who come to Japan mainly for financial reasons.

I failt to see how that's a good thing.
    -------

And as for more Japanese players moving out early, I don't necessarily see that as an advantage. Do we really want to see the best talents of Japan end up playing (or more likely be benchwarmers) in for example Austria or Belgium? Where they most likely will have a much longer/tougher way to 1st team action than what they would in Japan at that age (let's say between 17 and 21). Having the choice between a local kid and a Japanese kid (if they are on more or less the same level), an Austrian or Belgian coach would choose the local kid 99 out of 100 times.

If you are good enough, you will break into the 1st team in J.League, or atleast J2, and from there the next natural step shouldn't be "shitty" leagues like Jupiler League or the Austrian Bundesliga (unless it's for a club like Red Bull Salzburg,who are on a completely different level than the rest).

It should at minimum be Holland or Portugal. Or a top 5 league. At least you get to play together with good players then, and be under some really good coaches/managers.

20. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    I think Austria and Belgium as a whole are slightly better than the J league imo, especially when you account for the fact that there is a chance of them playing in the Europa league or even CL as a result of the move.
    Moving there also gives them more exposure to scouts as they monitor these leagues more than they do the J league, not to mention it allows then to adapt faster with respects to aspects like culture, language, etc. as they have more in similar to the top 5 leagues than the J league.
    For example, you can learn up French or German or at least improve their English in Austria or Belgium and it can help when they happen to move to Bundesliga, EPL or Ligue 1 in the future.

21. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Just to add a small note, SE Asian players don't count in the slots anyway with the Jleague agreements.
    I think JLeague is better then the Austrian Bundesliga but not so sure about Belgium. I actually think it's perfect for young players as first step to move in leagues like Belgium, Switzerland, 2.Buli. See what happened with Kamada recently. It's not just about the leve of the leaguel but also a different intensity in physical training, tactics, language, culture.
    Holland is a good idea but almost impossible to make, only big talents like Doan can do it with the new rules that require the top wage. Portugal hasn't been exploited enough, I completely agree. The problem is that even the clubs in Belgium spend more than the portoguese clubs... lol.

22. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    It's a meh move. I'd like to see more foreigners, but maybe on the club instead of by force on the field. And I'd like to see like a 3+3 rule, with 3 foreigners and 3 AFC players, even to help the continent.

23. yanagibashi

yanagibashi Member

Eintracht Braunschweig
    Japan
    Jan 3, 2018
    like others have said, this will be a bad move imho.

quality over quantity.

washed up journeymen shouldn’t be blocking the pathways of young japanese talent.

24. nipponbasse83

nipponbasse83 Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Ichikawa, Chiba, Japan
    Club:
    Consadole Sapporo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I don't really see the attraction of playing in a 3rd level European league which both the Belgian, Austrian and Swiss league essentially is. Take away teams like Basel and RB Salzburg and you get clubs whose level is arguably lower than the top teams in J.League.

Why the Belgian league is rated so highly is beyond me. Club Brugge were the joke of CL in 2016, but still racked up enough coefficient points during qualification that will assure Belgium 1+1 places in CL for a couple of years. And we all know that the difference between a 10-15 place on UEFA's table compared to 20-30th is basically only a single good season for one of the teams.

Sure, you both have some valid points as it can make the transition easier and could be a way to get used to the European playstyle/level/language in a smaller league.

But my point is that by the time the players leave Japan (the talented ones atleast) they should already have done most of the development back there, and a good player who's mentally strong enough will overcome that language/culture barrier. We can't sit around and wait for them to go through a 2nd development period that might take years. If they are good enough, clubs from bigger leagues will pick them up in no time.

There's no reason to drain J.League of talent just to send them to a league that is on the same level (or lower in some cases). And it's not like the coaches, training methods necessarily are better in these clubs either ( with exceptions of course).

Of course, if Belgian clubs are able to pay much more then that might be motivation enough for some players. But are the wages that much higher at for example Standard Liege or Cercle Brugge than what they are at Cerezo Osaka or Urawa Reds?

25. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Well, first of all not all the good players play in the top teams in JLeague, and it doesn't make sense for a good player who is a regular in J1 to move to Sanfrecce or whatever aside from the money.
    Second, the exposure is much bigger. There's a good reason why the top leagues pick up a good amount of players from Belgium every season. While we could discuss for days about the league's level, the talent pool that gets out of the league in Belgium is far bigger than the JLeague...

While the UEFA coefficient system is far from perfect it still takes a good team to rack up those points, while you bring up Brugge, in case you forgot the year after Gent made it to the Champions League elimination stage over Valencia and Lyon. That's also why the Netherlands are below after all.
    Anderlecht too was shit last year from what I remember but did well in 2014–15. But again honestly having seen a decent amount of matches due to the recent influx of japanese players in Belgium, I think the football is just prettier and faster than the Jleague.
    As long as the japanese players keep being selective and avoid "cage"-leagues such as Ukraine,Greece, Turkey, Russia, etc. I think it should be fine. They can go back anytime anyway.

Eh, I guess it's just about "realism time" here. Realism time as in, aside from Doan (who imho smartly opted to NOT make this move to start), I would struggle to find two or three players from the Jleague, in the last seasons who could really do that. And by "do that" I mean earn a transfer to a top league from Jleague and play. Heck, Sekine couldn't even play at Ingolstadt and it's a player from Urawa.....
    I didn't think even Kamada could do it (pretty sure I said so even in his thread) and indeed here we are.
    So would it really be better if these players simply spent their careers in Jleague and leave less spots to youngsters? I try to see the glass half full and don't think so ;)
    With this kind of move, if you do well in Europe to pick you up the new club will likely have to pay than you would pay to the JLeague club.
    Imagine if Nakajima moved to Spain or whatever on loan. Maybe he would've had half the chances and would already be back in Jleague. If someone wants Nakajima now instead, he has to pay an amount that ensures he's not going to be a "second thought" like Kamada has been in Eintracht.