Official 2017 Samurai Blue thread

Discussion in 'Japan' started by HomokHarcos, Jan 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Of course, he's getting younger!
    Please.
    And good to know that you already have the future figured out in your mind.
    This is the kind of presumption that has been used by Halilhodzic in these three years.

2. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    (I wanna stress a concept: I'm not saying Eiji is playing badly - he's infact doing a good job -, but he's playing too few matches in Europe and he's 34. Jesus Christ, our alternatives if he's injured are Higashiguchi and Nishikawa. That's why you HAVE to try some new faces).

seolseol and Samurai Warrior repped this.
  3. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    The WC is still 9 months later, there is no guarantee Kawashima will be maintain his form, especially when he is not a first team starter at Metz iirc and also given his age. Alternatives for Shoji/Ueda also need to be tried in case if either one gets injured next year. Other than Ueda, I think Tatsuki Nara can be given a try. He is a pretty quick and decent in the air.

seolseol repped this.
  4. Kenbi

Kenbi Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Majster2, seolseol and Samurai Warrior repped this.
  5. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right now there is no real competition at the goalkeeper position, especially when you consider that the World Cup is less than a year away. Kawashima is far, far better than the alternatives, who are basically there in case of injury.

Dax and takeuchi repped this.
  6. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Good to know that you can keep your JNT spot until you're dead.
    With Kawashima and basically Hasebe-Honda-Kagawa we've been sending this message.
    And what AFC 2019 will be a delusion?
    Then you'll have to experiment. Being late, of course.

7. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I don't think they are talking about competition as much as they are talking about giving other golakeepers chances in international games. So, if something bad happens with Kawashima (injury or bad form) other goalkeepers will be ready to replace him.

8. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Well, Honda is already a bench-player, even Kagawa has been benched many times.

serpay and seolseol repped this.
  9. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is nonsense. You're talking about 4 players in 4 different situations. Kawashima is far ahead of his Japanese competition technically, athletically and with respect to his experience at both club and international levels. Why do you think he plays when the Metz manager's ass is on the line?

Hasebe has gotten better with age, Honda has lost his spot in the team and Kagawa is merely working his way back from injury.

Halilhodzic can't do anything about Nishikawa stagnating then regressing mightily, Gonda's career being sidetracked by physical and mental health issues, or really the failure of Japan to produce any real international-caliber goalkeepers.

Dax, serpay and seolseol repped this.
  10. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Agree.
    Why complain Hasebe is one of the best def midfielders in the Bundesliga when fit. And always good for the NT, not playing him is stupid.

serpay repped this.
  11. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Hasebe has been good and should go to Russia (if he can stay fit), but still no experiment has been done.
    This is 2014 all over again: we play with the same faces and then you suddenly remind that - oh shit - we need a back-up or a successor in a certain position.

@naopon, Kawashima is playing now. But in Metz he actually featured in 7 out of 46 games played until now since he arrived last summer. So... at least do not kind ourselves.

12. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I agree with you on that. But do Japan have good back ups? If there is none, than it's hard to fill the place.

13. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    You're certain of that when they've 6-7 caps. If you think about it, Shoji and Kubo were discovered due to experimenting. ;)

14. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know why some people are still hung up on Kawashima. He is the best Japanese GK of all time based on his career and technical ability, hasn't shown any obvious decline and recently saved a Ligue 1 club from relegation while playing a big role in getting Japan's WCQ back on track. 34 is not terribly old for a keeper, and he's pretty clearly a better athlete than the others available.

As for Hasebe, obviously no one really replaces everything he brings to the table. Ideguchi and Yamaguchi are the alternatives and complements, for now.

The main issue I have is that Vahid hasn't put out a team which can play consistently in possession. Integrating Shibasaki and perhaps recalling someone like Oshima could be helpful in developing tactical alternatives.

The defenders are serviceable for the time being, but scarily lacking in depth. The emergence of Shoji is a pretty big deal, and it's crucial that at least one more decent option turns up before the WC.

takeuchi, Dax, Saku² and 1 other person repped this.
  15. KATO

KATO Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Manchester
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Basically if there is an injury at the back the team is screwed. After Kawashima there is a massive gap in quality. Not helped by increasing number of foreign GK in the J League.

I would have liked to see Ueda/Miura get some game time in the testing circumstances in Saudi Arabia, especially after Yoshida received an early yellow card. The CB depth is non-existent.

Oh... Osako needs to hibernate until Russia.

seolseol repped this.
  16. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Strange that nobody mentioned Nagatomo's atrocious defending in the last two matches!

Most of Australia's and Saudi's dangerous attempts (including the goal) came from his side.

For me, he was just Japan's worst player in the last 2 matches (apart from his opening goal assist against Australia).

17. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    @naopon that is the point, if any injury happens then we have no alternatives with international experience.

We will not lose 3-0 against Haiti or New Zealand, Vahid shall give the back-ups some experience (at least by sub them in during the second half of these matches).

18. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Well, after watching him in Inter last couple of games he is nowhere near what he is capable of. Sad.

19. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    Agreed with that, the GK and CBs definitely need more depth but I don't really think Miura is that good. Nakatani/Nara/Ueda are better choices than him imo.
    Hasebe and Kawashima are not getting any younger, there is no telling whether they can continue their form, especially when there is still 9 months to go. We don't want a repeat of the 2014 situation, don't we. Its better to find alternatives now in case if Kawashima/Yoshida, etc. gets injured.

20. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Recall me how many years old is Buffon? Age doesn't really matter for goalkeepers.
    And yes, I have "figured out" that Eiji is better than Nakamura because I see both all the time. Even when Eiji was in Jleague, he was better.
    This post makes no sense, because When Eiji starts to not perform, he will be dropped. just like, for example, Okada promoted him before the world cup 2010. No message has been sent because he's been excellent most of the time. Btw, GKs don't get "match unfit" in the same way other players on the pitch do if they don't play if they do heavy training
    Whispered is clearly talking about competition since he also speaks about "sending messages" but, aside from that, there's friendlies to do that, certainly not these high-profile matches...when has Donnarumma ever played instead of Buffon? I 100% agree with you in regards to the friendlies with Haiti and New Zealand, btw.
    I think most have accepted that he's on decline, he's been atrocious indeed, and average in his club too. It's just hard to replace him objectively, the SB situation isn't as good as the good as it was when Uchida and friends were still Jleaguers :(

seolseol and Samurai Warrior repped this.
  21. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    Hasebe is a really kind of midfielder compared to the smaller MFs like Ideguchi, Yamaguchu Oshima, etc. They are more of b2b.
    Hasebe is not performing as well as he used to imo, there need to be more alternatives for the holding midfielder role. Taniguchi and Kento Misao can be tried imo. They are of similar height and build. They can help deal against long balls as well if opposing teams tries to make use of their height and size advantage like Greece and Ivory Coast last WC.

seolseol repped this.
  22. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    This no, Eiji started to reveal himself when he jumped Narazaki in the peaking order. Before that he was just a good GK.
    Same thing could happen with Nakamura if he becomes a starter but there's no need to remove Eiji at this point.

Samurai Warrior repped this.
  23. serpay

serpay Member

May 24, 2017
    Bangkok
    Nat'l Team:
    Thailand
    Hasebe had the greatest season in his Bundesliga career last season. He was nicknamed "Japanese Beckenbauer" by German media.

gamban98 repped this.
  24. GunnerTNB

GunnerTNB Member+

Apr 4, 2011
    São Paulo
    Club:
    Botafogo Rio Janeiro
  25. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Nah, not for me. Eiji was a real monster in Frontale already, and I remember him being the most expensive transfer for the club up to them, or something like that.
    Let's see how it compares in two years. As much as I also think Nakamura is the best goalkeeper in Jleague, I don't expect see him becoming as good, but best of luck to him

@GunnerTNB indeed, Japan's first issue with the role is that they need to raise the quality of the GK coaches.

Samurai Warrior and seolseol repped this.