Official: 2017 Rumor and Roster Moves Thread

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by ragbone, Nov 6, 2016.

1. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    So even if Ciani isn't signed JVD is free to go?

2. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what it looks like

hav77 repped this.
  3. bbbmmmlll

bbbmmmlll Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking the transfer fee might be higher for JVD if it's at the start of the Euro season as opposed to the middle. In any case, transferring now is probably better for everyone.

The Beautiful Gamer and wcmanes repped this.
  4. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #3179 skydog, Aug 17, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    After reading your post I did a google search on JVD to get to the Baxter article and came across this picture from a Dutch website. Google translate produced a judgemental caption that seems to be commenting on the reasons behind their separation:

[​IMG]
    Jelle Van Damme and Elke Clijsters in the stands for a Fed Cup duel of (clean) sister Kim in 2010. Also Cruz Leo's son was from the party. © photo news.

ShortyMac and The Cadaver repped this.
  5. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks for the exciting times Jelle!

6. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  7. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    I don't know whether we will get any transfer fee for Van Damme, but it will be interesting to see the salary for Ciani. If they kept it below the pro-rated maximum, then we should get the TAM we were going to have to use on Van Damme the rest of the season and be able to carry it forward and use it next season. So, even if we let him go on a free transfer (which the Galaxy have done before I believe in these types of personal situations - Ishizaki), we may get something of value back to help rebuild.

8. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Doubt he has anything left in the tank or would fit in any event, but I think Sigi coached him at Seattle if I'm not mistaken:

9. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    id bring in Le Toux till the end of the season. Why the hell not?

ShortyMac, napper, ProudNatRN and 2 others repped this.
  10. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He has to be better than McInerny. Le Toux has slowed down a lot but at least he moves.

11. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    ShortyMac, barroldinho and Benny Dargle repped this.
  12. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Turns out LeToux was Seattle's first signing ever:

Sounders FC signs first player

The Seattle Sounders Football Club of the MLS signed French forward Sebastien LeToux to a multiyear contract, the expansion team announced Wednesday.

LeToux, 24, of Rennes, France, is the first player to sign with the Sounders, who begin play in 2009.

"I am very happy to be the first play to sign with Seattle Sounders FC," LeToux said at a news conference at Qwest Field, where the new team will play. "I'm very proud and happy.

"For me, it's a new thing."

The Sounders staff first saw LeToux at a combine workout held in conjunction with the 2006 MLS Cup.

"Sebastien is an outstanding young soccer player with loads of upside. He has tremendous physical capacity He is very good technically and tactically and has the potential to be a very effective MLS player," Sounders general manager Adrian Hanauer said. "Sebastien is also a great individual and has the kind of character that our fans will be proud of."

In 2007, LeToux's rookie season with the current Seattle Sounders of the lower level United Soccer Leagues, he led the team in scoring with 22 points and was the USL First Division MVP. He also scored five goals in the U.S. Open Cup, leading Seattle to two wins over MLS teams and into the semifinals.

LeToux will officially be added to the original roster of the Sounders when the MLS' official signing period begins in December.

Copyright © 2008 The Seattle Times Company

ShortyMac and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  13. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No le Toux please. We are already bloated with mediocrity

Skevin, TrickHog, Geneva and 1 other person repped this.
  14. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I might be wrong, but if I remember his game correctly, le Toux is not a true 9 and very much like many of the forwards we already have on our team....

I'd pass.

15. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    You'd be correct. In the last 3 seasons, Le Toux has scored 5 goals. Romney almost has that many just this season.

ShortyMac, TrickHog, hav77 and 2 others repped this.
  16. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Well to be fair LeToux actually has 13 goals and 13 assists in the last 3 seasons. In the last two seasons he's scored 5 goals and has 7 assists in the equivalent of 29 games. All of that while playing part time for Philly, Col and DC United, which is pretty much the bottom of the bottom.

Look I don't think he is great at all these days. I just think he is better than McBean or McInerny, which is saying very little. LeToux still knows how to pass the ball and work with teammates.

The Beautiful Gamer and TrickHog repped this.
  17. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with LeToux is that he would not likely be any part of our future. We're talking rebuild at this point, and our remaining games are about that. Honestly I'd rather see McBean get the time.

ragbone and TrickHog repped this.
  18. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    McBean won't be part of our future either if we expect to compete at the higher levels of MLS. Nothing personal against him but we need a lot more quality than he provides, even coming off the bench.
    The only reason I would consider LeToux is because we aren't completely out of the playoffs yet - official computer estimates put us at 5% to make it, Sigi says it's higher because of the teams improvement. And I think LeToux coming in as a min 75 spark is more likely to generate a goal than either McB or McI.
    Its all moot anyway - I doubt our FO or Sigi are considering it.

19. shurikt

shurikt Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Technically, you're right. We could probably squeak in by going 7-2-2.

That would mean winning all five of our remaining home games, including one against Toronto, and going 2-2-2 on the road, e.g.,

W @ Clb
    L @ Sea
    W @. Atl
    D @ KC
    L @ Hou
    D @ Dal

20. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So...JVD is gone and we received $225k for the transfer.

I'm ok with it. This season is probably done. JVD, who I loved last year, has been a net liability this year. Let's take the money and move on.

We have some financial resources for a change going into next year. Can PV/CK make them count? I have my doubts.

21. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel much better with Sigi around to influence those decisions.

Berks, luigi-55 and galvanator repped this.
  22. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I've read that out of that $235K, since Jelle isn't a homegrown or superdraft player, we'll only retain 2/3(~$157K) of it which will turn into GAM. Can anyone confirm?

23. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Baysider repped this.
  24. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just talking about not being terrible for the last few games. Giovani dos Santos and Gyasi Zardes are not good enough forwards to contend for a cup, but they are not the reason we're in 2nd to last place in the league. Both players are having exceptionally poor seasons by their usual standards. I think we'll look for a high-quality 9 in the off-season, but I don't think there are forwards around MLS (like LeToux) that'd be significant upgrades over the players we have. I think the forwards will score down the stretch now that we are creating chances more consistently (we forced Sean Johnson to have a great game last week) but defense still seems like a big issue. Jones seems like he's going to give up a goal per game.

25. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was in a pretty tough situation and it probably affected his play this season. It's a bummer, but probably best for everyone.

TrickHog repped this.