Official: 2017 Rumor and Roster Moves Thread

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by ragbone, Nov 6, 2016.

1. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like it would be a very good move.

2. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, an established right back? Who would have thought that would be a need?

LEM-LAG, barroldinho, ProudNatRN and 2 others repped this.
  3. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    And, according to "who scored," he played 5 games at LB too this year.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/91744/Show/Pele-van-Anholt

He is apparently the anti-Omar/Leonardo. They list his strengths as through balls and concentration and his weakness as aerial duels (he's just shy of 5'6").

barroldinho and Berks repped this.
  4. wcmanes

wcmanes Member

May 28, 1999
    Riverside, Ca, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds a lot like a defender we use to have that was kinda short, but really smart and versatile. I think his name was AJ something or other...

hav77, Baysider, L.A. Native and 2 others repped this.
  5. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    I was going to make that comparison, but the knock on AJ is that he's really a CB in an outside back's body, which was why coaches keep trying to put him outside and why he fails to be quite as influential there, yet needs a certain type of CB to pair with (e.g., Omar) to work inside. This guy appears to be a pure outside back (although he may have played DM some).

6. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. As much as I love AJ, he was not good at making runs upfield and getting into the box. He is not an overlapping fullback. If he was just taller he would have been an amazing CB - he had the brains for it.

This guy looks like the actual overlapping fullback we've been looking for. Hopefully he's good. And we have a glaring need with Nathan "beat like a drum" Smith out there.

hav77 repped this.
  7. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm please that we're addressing the obvious need and he seems like an appropriate player. My one concern is that a young player from the Netherlands cannot be cheap. We must really have decided that we will be a European team and not a South American team in terms of international players.

barroldinho repped this.
  8. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Well he is out of contract so there's no worry about a transfer being spread out over the duration of his contract. My guess is you can pay him something similar to what Robbie Rogers was making.

9. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Rooney is on his way out. He's not really taken great care of his body and he's been playing since he was 16, so he's an 'old' 30.

I do not want him in the Gio role or midfield. He's passable as a midfielder with a couple of strong positional mids alongside him. Without that, see Stevie G and J. Jones. Running around like a blue-arsed fly until gassed and frequently looking to make the Hollywood Pass. He'll get a couple of highlight reel 40 yarders but will be a turnover machine 80% of the time.

Up front he has the instincts to offer something at this level. I will say that though it's not well publicised, he's got a weird streaky factor to his play as a #9. He's gone from scoring 30 goals in a season, to significant gaps between goals, to serious barren spells, back to mammoth spells of goal scoring.

10. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    As an aside, it was nice to hear the Riot Squad break into AJ and "one of us" chants when we played Houston.

Also amusing to hear Leonardo get the "LA reject" treatment in the same game.

TrickHog repped this.
  11. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Sweet and ouch!!

Berks and barroldinho repped this.
  12. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Netherlands, outside of the top few teams, is a pretty mediocre league and doesn't pay that much. The league's average pay is about $300k which is heavily skewed by PSV, Ajax, and Feyenoord which have budgets about 8 times what Willem II's budget is. Last year his team, Willem II, ended the season only two points from relegation (9-9-16, W-D-L). The top paid guys for Willem II probably make less than $250k. He's also 26 and that's not young. To be honest, I'm not overly excited about a guy from a low level Eredivisie club who is 26, much like I wasn't excited about Breinburg (though Breinburg would have been far more costly given a potential transfer fee).

Just to be clear, I don't have a problem with signing him because he's on a free transfer, shouldn't be too expensive contract wise and even if he's mediocre he's still an upgrade at right back for us. I just want to manage expectations.

At any rate, some background I was able to dig up:

Turns out last year he was on trial with 1. FC Nürnberg (where Omar was loaned to before Timmy Chandler tore his ACL in his first training session) last year but they didn't offer him a contract and his one year contract with Willem II was judge a bridge contract to see where he could get this year. Apparently the fans think he's a very good rightback and they wanted to keep him but realize that this was pretty much a one year thing and the financial restrictions of their club make his return unlikely. So that's fairly heartening.

One thing I was rather concerned with is that a Willem II fan mentioned he was injury prone. According to Transfermarkt, he missed at least 7 games last season due to injury and missed the last 3 months of the 15/16 season with Heerenveen due to a hamstring injury, which also appears to by at least partially responsible for Heerenveen not renewing his contract last year as he was a consistent starter up until that point. He had interest from other clubs rejected by Heereveen prior which prompted van Anholt to turn in a formal transfer request in 2014.

Ultimately, I think he's a big upgrade at what we have at right back currently and if he's on about $200k, I he should be a good deal. However, his recent injury history gives me pause.

shelbo, ProudNatRN, MPNumber9 and 8 others repped this.
  13. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why hopefully with Los Dos? Do they need the help more than the Galaxy first team?

14. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Thanks for the scouting report.

15. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    #2690 Benny Dargle, Jun 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2017

Not sure if this means he thinks Chicharito is going to the Galaxy or he just assumes that the LA team in on him is the Galaxy. Certainly would be interesting if the Galaxy get Chicharito and LAFC gets Wesley Sneijder. Not quite the branding I would have expected.

This source also interprets the tweet as meaning the Galaxy are signing Chicharito

16. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It makes more sense to have him trial with Los Dos and let the coaching staff evaluate him then, after he gets to play in a few games. If he's up to playing at an MLS level, then offer him a contract.

hav77 repped this.
  17. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    How was Bayern Leverkusen been a nightmare for Chicharito? He has consistently started and scored for them over two years.

StillKickin repped this.
  18. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sign him up! We can transition Zardes to RM full time, until Lletget is back, then Zardes to RB!

hav77 repped this.
  19. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I vote Cheech.

TrickHog repped this.
  20. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I vote Chong.

TrickHog, rokstedy, skydog and 1 other person repped this.
  21. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Completely agree. In fact, I'm not sure why Leverkusen wants him gone.

22. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Would be great if he signed with us after this

23. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I guess if he wants to get paid, it should be an easy choice. :D

24. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Reinforcements. Reinforcements. Reinforcements. Reinforcements.

When does the transfer window open?

7E23 and WarGalaxy repped this.
  25. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    10th