Official “Is Brad Friedel bad at his job?” Thread

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Feldspar, Aug 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Zahibo earned it. He does not belong on a MLS pitch.

Fagundez has a track record of success, but like Penilla seems to have forgotten what to do to be successful

2. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just curious but how many different starting line ups has brad used this year? 12?

3. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, so it's 8am on Thursday morning. Will we hear soon that Friedel has been sacked? If not, then we know beyond any shadow of a doubt that the Rev's are a plastic organization and a Gillette Stadium placeholder for the sole purpose of additional revenue.

CynicRev repped this.
  4. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #479 RevsRule, May 9, 2019
    Last edited: May 9, 2019
    Fire Burns, get a new GM.... one with proven track record of building a team...... let new GM find a new coach then fire Friedel. This cannot go on.

I turned off at goals 3 last night. Absolutely nobody worth watching on this team plus the team has quit on Friedel. This was a terrible Chicago team and we are now shown to be worse. There is absolutely no reason to keep Friedel on. Lee did the right thing and got the Hell out of here. Im sure others are also thinking the same thing.

TOAzer, CynicRev and pwykes repped this.
  5. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    To me that is not just the coach but leadership within the team. We just tied a record for most goals conceded in 4 games with the inaugural Minnesota's first 4 games. I get people quit on a coach,but these guys are quitting on each other. We all talk about the difference Jermaine Jones made on the pitch, I think he made an even bigger difference in the locker room and right now, we don't have that presence.

I TOTALLY AGREE with those saying Burns needs to go before Friedel. No way Burns should make another hire decision for the Revs.

A side of me thinks Brad was very naive in taking this job and I feel for him a bit. He believed all the BS that Burns told him and now with the recent non-DP before trade deadline and maybe ever, he looks like a doofus and is in a jam with no way out. To be fair some of this is Friedel's own doing by being such a hard-ass in the beginning and apparently losing some of his players. On the other hand, I don't think we lost anyone who would be that leader in the locker room we need either.

6. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's safe to now answer my own question and say that, yes, Brad Friedel was bad at his job.

7. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes indeed. But the real cancer remains. Fire Burns!

TOAzer and Feldspar repped this.
  8. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As we get some more time and perspective on the Friedel regime, his reputation worsens. Arena is getting decent results out of the same mediocre players. Friedel was awful, and the players got him sacked. It's not uncommon that elite players do not make good coaches.

TOAzer repped this.
  9. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is interesting who is playing in the new regime and who is not. Pleasantly surprised that he seems to have found a role where Zahibo can contribute. Also illustrates that Farrell at CB can work under the right circumstances.

Feldspar repped this.
  10. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Check.

Check.

Best wishes to both.

While beating Colorado and LA is impressive, the revs really need to start beating the eastern teams to make any dent in the standings. They need multiple lopsided wins to get the GD back to being respectable again.

11. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Juan Agudelo: New England Revolution turnaround comes down to Arena, staff
    August 1, 2019, 10:41AM EDT
    Jason York

12. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    This turnaround reflects badly on Friedel, but listening to Twellman, he puts the blame on Burns.

Basically, he's saying that it's crazy to judge Friedel as a coach, because it's his first time. As for Burns, he basically said that Friedel's hire is just the way he does things (i.e., hiring Heaps with no experience and then Friedel, with no head coaching experience).

Interesting that his statement pretty much protects Friedel while tossing Burns under the proverbial bus.

tsb11, pwykes and TOAzer repped this.
  13. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno if I agree with Twellman. If you compare Heaps and Friedel as hires. Friedel actually did have some experience coaching a team, just not a club. Yes, it is an indictment on Burns/Kraft for hiring on inexperience, but overall, I give Heaps better marks.

Heaps' biggest weakness was his inability to adapt during a game, to make tactical changes based on the circumstances, either through subs or by having the existing players do things a bit differently. However, I can see him learning with experience and developing into a better coach. Now that he's the GM in Birmingham, he might not go back to coaching, but still, I think Heaps has more to work with.

Friedel, OTOH, regularly alienated players unnecessarily. Sure there are times when he needs to show who's boss, but dumping some of the better players for literally nothing in return, playing guys the wrong way and generally throwing them under the bus when things don't go well doesn't serve anyone well. Unless he has a real "come to Jesus" moment where he realizes his responsibility and learns from it, he's not going to get another coaching job, or at least not do well at it if one does come along.

But yeah, there is plenty of blame for Burns.

tsb11, BERich and TOAzer repped this.
  14. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Here's the exact quote from Twellman:

When Brad Friedel was hired, I said it, and I’ll still say it: It was his first job, so anyone trying to judge Brad Friedel as a coach right now, well that’s a little unfair because it was his first job. But that’s how Mike Burns went about things. That’s how he handled his interviews, that’s how he went after things, so the change from top to bottom was needed, was necessary.

tsb11, goussoccer and pwykes repped this.
  15. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as Twelman feels the same way about Heaps who was also in his first job here I'm fine with his comment. He's right after all; the revs were Friedel's first professional coaching gig. We still have to judge him but it's worth taking experience into consideration.

16. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if Taylor’s underlying point is that it’s unfair to compare Friedel’s lack of success with Arena’s turnaround, he’s not wrong. There’s no way Brad was going to be able to get guys to produce the same way that someone with Bruce’s proven talent and experience could. The current Revs are not the Revs that Friedel could have produced, him being a neophyte coach.

But as Taylor mentioned, it’s only “a little unfair.” Because while Arena’s Revs are firing on all cylinders, too much to expect of a new coach, Friedel’s Revs fired on almost no cylinders. It’s remarkable how little Brad was able to get them to do successfully. They couldn’t score, they couldn’t possess, they couldn’t defend, they couldn’t rally, they couldn’t put a game away. Bruce seems to be getting the Revs to do all of that, which is above what anyone would ever have believed a few months ago. But Friedel couldn’t get any of it, which was crap. He shouldn’t be graded from Arena’s benchmark, but he still earned an F.

And Burns still sucked. The only thing I’ll give him credit for in retrospect is getting Gil signed.

pwykes, frankieg73, tsb11 and 2 others repped this.
  17. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Friedel had them firing on, well, at least some cylinders during the first couple of months of the 2018 season. The everyone else figured out how to play against him, and that was all she wrote.

18. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Friedel was in his second season, so he wasn't exactly a neophyte this year.

Still, if you look at it from future potential, I think Friedel is much more likely to get another coaching gig than Burns is likely to get another GM job.

19. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Friedel might get another shot, since he did have a long playing career and has lots of former teammates around. If he can show that he learned a few things from his Revs experience, someone might hire him.

Any of us here have as much of a chance at getting a high-level GM/TD/Player Personnel Director job as Mike Burns does. He'd be lucky if he could get hired at Wal-Mart to mop the floors. And even then, he'd probably get fired within a day for using the wrong end of the mop.

20. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And to quote a famous American, "I'd feel sorry for the fool....."

TOAzer repped this.
  21. frankieg73

frankieg73 Member

New England Revolution
    Portugal
    Apr 8, 2001
    St. Petersburg, FL (not my choice)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I didn't like his lack of experience but I originally thought the Friedel hire was good in that he was holding the players accountable and forcing them all to prove in practice that they deserved to be on the field. I thought there was too little fight in these players and they didn't play liked they were motivated, and I was OK with calling players out in public instead of sheltering them from any blame.

I was completely wrong about Friedel and what this locker room needed.

TOAzer repped this.
  22. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Publicly shaming players and throwing them under the bus doesn't work in the modern era. Didn't work for Mourinho at ManU, and it didn't work for Friedel. A couple of weeks before he was fired someone had obviously mentioned this to him. He changed his tune to , paraphrasing, "It's 100% my fault my players suck so bad. I accept all responsibility." Friedel struck so many discordant notes, I'm not sure he coaches again. I wouldn't hire him.

Cannons and pwykes repped this.
  23. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Brad was hired to run this team but you dont start your coaching career at the top (MLS) and have any hope of success. Didnt work with Heaps ...... so what does Burns do? ...... Same thing a second time. Was Friedel bad? Yes he was, but Burns put him in a position to fail. At least Arena had the good sense to clear Burns out before he came.

I hope Arena stays here for awhile and builds a team that we can be proud of. I kind of hoped he would have brought in at least one more after Bou

Feldspar and pwykes repped this.
  24. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I've been monitoring the situation with Danny Williams. He's still out of contract, and depending on what he wants (and if he has recovered from the ankle injury thats kept him out over a year) he could be a TAM guy. Wouldn't even require an intl slot.

That said, after what Bruce did excluding him in 2017 that bridge might be pre-burned

25. frankieg73

frankieg73 Member

New England Revolution
    Portugal
    Apr 8, 2001
    St. Petersburg, FL (not my choice)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    What would the score be vs. LAFC if Friedel was still in charge?