Off-Season Breakers news

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by Mattymags811, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Ben James Ben

Ben James Ben Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Info on 2010 season ticket prices, from email from the Breakers:

Boston Breakers discounted season tickets (at 2009 prices) are available through September 22, 2009. After that, season ticket prices go up to their 2010 regular prices. For 2010, the season ticket package will include 12 games (up from 10 games in 2009). "The 12 games will reflect either an extended WPS regular season, or a return to the 10-game regular season format with additional exhibition and/or playoff home matches included."

Early Bird Price (until 9/22/09)
    Pitch Side: $675
    Category I: $250
    Category II: $180
    Category III: $130

2010 Price (effective 9/23/09)
    Pitch Side: $825
    Category I: $295
    Category II: $220
    Category III: $165

3. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Andy's Twitter:

BreakersGM:

Breakers exercised six 2010 team options this week: Latham, Lipsher, Monroe, Moore, Nobis & Tomecka.

Options declined on Chapman & Goffi.

Wow. This is where I wish I knew more than the press release!!

Do Chapman and Goffi not have any trade value? Can we even trade players?? Is this a salary issue? I cannot believe that Candace or Nancy will not be playing somewhere in WPS next season...

Glad (and a bit surprised) to see Dr. Maggie back! I hope/wonder (if we can trade players) if Latham will be back...

Moore?? I guess we'll have to trust Tony....

I seem to have more questions/concerns know that Joe is gone huh?? Don't worry Andy, 40 or so more years in the soccer community and I'll trust you blindly as well...

:p

4. Andy Crossley

Andy Crossley Member

Oct 23, 2007
    Twitter limits you to 140 characters. The six options were exercised this week and approved today. The Chapman and Goffi moves occurred pre-expansion draft and I tweeted them to paint a fuller picture for the faithful of the Breakers option moves to date. This is everything so far.

Chapman and Goffi were good players for the Breakers this year. There were some procedural benefits to declining those options at that particular time, given the specific mechanics of their contracts and that it allowed us to keep a couple of additional players we wanted to protect from the expansion draft. The result for Chappy and Goffi is that they will be free agents as of September 30th.

And yes, we can trade players. There were a couple of midseason trades in WPS this season.

AC

5. Andy Crossley

Andy Crossley Member

Oct 23, 2007

...and, no....you had just as many questions and concerns before.

AC

6. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I don't know if this is part of her plan or not, but Goffi's from Atlanta (Peachtree City, technically) and she may be looking to go back and play for them. They picked up Sharolta, so I'm sure Goffi (So much easier to type than Augustyniak) could very well fit in with their team. Besides, she'd be a nice 'hometown' edition to the team.

7. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I figure, but they are going to have one very old back line...Nonen, Larsson, and Goffi.

8. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, the Kerri Hanks deal comes to mind.

9. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When they say a player is a free agent is there really that much of a difference if pay that another team can offer a player unless you are one of the top stars in the league?

I thought WPS was keeping salaries at about 30K or less for the starters to prevent to economic disaster that destroyed WUSA.

So unless you are Marta, Kelly Smith, Wambach, or Solo or in that group I would think a free agent would earn about the same regardless of who they signed with.

11. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Current Breakers Roster 09/30/09 (via season-ticket holder email)

12. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.womensprosoccer.com/Home/news/transactions-09.aspx

Alot of "names" available.....

What's the difference between the waived and free agent players??? If we pick up a waived player do we owe any compensation to their team??

Andy?

WAIVED:

Parissa Eyorokon
    Emily Janss
    Kati Jo Spisak
    Collette McCallum
    Kelly Parker
    Julianne Sitch
    Daniela
    Sarah Walsh
    Han Duan
    Martina Franko
    Christie Shaner
    Marissa Abegg
    Adriane
    Erika
    Formiga
    Tiffany Weimer
    Nancy Augustyniak Goffi
    Candace Chapman
    Heather Garriock
    Frida Ostberg
    Lydia Williams

FREE AGENTS:

Kristin DeDycker
    Katie Forbis
    Christen Karniski
    Joanna Lohman
    Cori Alexander
    Mele French
    Katie Hooker
    Lauren Sesselman (whatever you do...DONT COME TO BOSTON!!!:p)
    Niki Cross
    Sheree Gray
    Erin Kane
    Ashlee Pistorius
    Lisa Stoia
    Melissa Tancredi
    Erin Walter
    Christie Welsh
    Liz Bogus
    Brittany Cameron
    Lyndsey Patterson
    Keri Sanchez
    Lisa Sari
    Julia Schnugg
    Aly Wagner
    McCall Zerboni
    Greer Barnes
    Sissi
    Lindsay Massengale
    Meagan McCray
    Leslie Osborne
    Cristiane
    Jaimel Johnson,
    Carli Lloyd
    Mary Therese McDonnell
    Lydia Vandenbergh
    Michelle Wenino
    Abby Crumpton
    Fabiana
    Kristin Luckenbill,
    Heather Mitts
    Sophia Mundy
    Ashley Phillips
    Erika Sutton
    Sara Larsson

13. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like the question of the day. Spread the word if you get an answer, please.

14. CrashTheParty

CrashTheParty New Member

May 18, 2009
    USA
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking the same thing, Bonnie. I'm also thinking that Mitts wants to play for Philly, because she is out of the Breakers, too.

15. CrashTheParty

CrashTheParty New Member

May 18, 2009
    USA
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing Duan, Parker, Daniela and Weimer on the waived list is going to come back and bite their old teams on the ass.

16. mavric

mavric Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Boston Area
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When did this email come out... I was a ticket holder this past season and renewed for the upcoming season and did not see this email.. Hmm.... Maybe I should check.. Sure hope they sign a couple of those free agents!!!!

Thanks!

17. Andy Crossley

Andy Crossley Member

Oct 23, 2007
    RevsFan - the players on both lists are now free agents. No compensation is owed to former teams for signing them.

This list was created at the league level, so I'm not sure I could state the official, technical answer to the difference. I can say that I see a clear difference between the lists for the players from Boston.

On the WAIVER list, you see players where the Breakers took an affirmative action to decline the option on their contracts.

On the FREE AGENT list, you see three other categories of Breakers free agents. The first is developmentals. They became free agents by rule. The second group are players who had one-year contracts from inception and were going to be free agents regardless. The final category is players who became free agents through inaction, i.e., they did have option year clauses, but those options were simply allowed to expire. What these have in common is that they are all passive forms of free agency that required no action on our part.

Having said that, it will be tempting for you guys to make inferences about the team's regard for players based on which list they appear on, but it's not that simple. The list a player appears on, at least in our case, has more to do with contract mechanics than anything else.

For example, you might assume that the team must hold the "waived" players in particularly low regard since we actively divested ourselves of those contracts, rather than just allow them to elapse. But this is not the case. For those two players, it was the specific structure of their contracts, particularly in a year with an expansion draft, that dictated the nature of the waiver transactions.

It's also not safe to assume that a player who became a free agent because of being a developmental, or the expiration of their one-year deal, or even because the Breakers allowed their team option to elapse, is not also a player that we are talking to about returning in 2010.

I hope that this answer has both answered your question and made it murkier at the same time.

AC

18. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.wickedlocal.com/pembroke/sports/x593066967/Boston-Breakers-keeping-eye-on-Niki-Cross

[​IMG]

Boston Breakers keeping eye on Niki Cross
    By Ryan Wood
    Fri Oct 02, 2009

Pembroke - Niki Cross and Tony DiCicco go way back. The Pembroke native was coached by the current Boston Breakers Head Coach when she spent time with the SoccerPlus Connecticut Reds....

DiCicco didn't say whether or not he or the Breakers organization has contacted Cross.

"We're going to see how the first phase plays out," DiCicco said of the anticipated flurry of early offseason transactions. "But we are interested in Niki."

Another local girl made good...sign her! :D

20. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://twitter.com/writerwood

From Ryan Wood's Twitter:

Boston Breakers pursuing players from Japan/Nigeria, signed Erika Sutton, look to renegotiate w/Luckenbill, & would like to keep Mitts.

Andy if you re-sign Luckinbill I'm going to start drinking...

:eek:

What about bringing in Cori Alexander to compete with Alli?

21. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Future Is Now For Boston Breakers
    Published by Ryan Wood

Kristin Luckenbill was a difficult decision, and we’re going to talk to her and maybe renegotiate. We signed Erika Sutton (an outside back who played for Tony as an amateur) With Heather’s (Mitts) situation, we’d like to keep her, but she’s trying to figure out for herself with her fiancé (Carolina Panthers quarterback A.J. Feeley) now in Charlotte. And, other teams have approached her.”

It was a difficult decision to trade Amy Rodriguez. We chose her first overall, and it didn’t work out for her or for the team. It’s certainly not Amy’s fault. We need to get it right this time. We need attacking players.

“We’re talking to a couple of free agents. We’re hoping to land one that will help the attacking side of the game,” he said, opting not to give out any names of players the team is pursuing.

“We’re not pursuing Wagner and Lloyd,” DiCicco said. “We have an offer out to one (of the more than two dozen free agents). There are some attractive ones out there. I think we’ve got a team that’s shaping up to be exciting, good defensively, and have more of an opportunity to put it in the back of the net.”

One player the Breakers are looking at is Niki Cross, who was declared as a free agent by the St. Louis Athletica.

DiCicco didn’t say whether or not he or the Breakers organization have contacted Cross.

“We’re going to see how the first phase plays out,” DiCicco said of the anticipated flurry of early offseason transactions. “But we are interested in Niki.”

Good work Ryan!

22. Andy Crossley

Andy Crossley Member

Oct 23, 2007

Spoke to Nancy Augustyniak-Goffi briefly this afternoon. She is planning to retire from professional soccer and was willing for me to share that news with Breakers fans.

We wish her the best. It would have been great to see her at Harvard patrolling the pitch for Atlanta (or someone else), but she seems to have some good plans ahead of her.

AC

23. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k52QWFeP7OY&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- BYU and New Mexico womens soccer fight[/ame]

Andy, we need Elizabeth Lambert (UNM #15) on our backline ASAP...

:D

24. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't say this elsewhere but I will here. Can we really call it a fight if only one person is doing the hitting/throwdowns?

I mean, there are likely a variety of extra physical play from other players on both teams that isn't shown in the clip. But I wouldn't describe the multiple fouls there a fight.

25. MSalva

MSalva New Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Northampton, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it definitely doesn't fall into the "fight" category. Just unsportsmanlike, desperate behavior (most specifically the violent hair pull) on the part of that NM defender. Thankfully, the Breakers have a strong back line without having to resort to that kind of behavior.