ODP VS Academy

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by socafan, Jul 15, 2009.

1. socafan

socafan New Member

Oct 13, 2005
    I'm curious with ODP being watered down due to the Academy programs what is the the ratio of Regional and National Pool players for the two. Does ODP send more kids to Regional and National Team events (95 boys) or does the Developmental Academies?

2. Crystal Palace 90

Crystal Palace 90 New Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    As far as 95 Boys are concerned, ODP won by a landslide!!!

Why? That's because USSDA U16 (2008-2009) was for 92 and 93. Very few 94 (less than 10) were signed nationwide, so probably much much less so for the 95s. I think you're asking the wrong question. It should be:

How many of the identified regional and national pool players will choose to stay in the ODP scheme when they are age appropriate for the USSDA?

3. manu50

manu50 New Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

ODP will always be superior--In the ODP system you actually make a team --and are seen as tops in the region ---traveling to south america / Europe to compete---USSDA is just like club --you are put on a team --these players are not getting international competition and the DA final round being played tthis week is problably not a better tournament than Disney

4. AcademyReplacesODP

AcademyReplacesODP New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    No. ODP is now only a money making fraud operation organized by US Youth Soccer to line the pockets of frustrated second rate coaches. No parent in their right mind in a DAP area would even think of being sucker punched by these scam artists.

60% of the U17 MNT are from DAP clubs:
    http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_14745614.html

This percentage will go up over the next several years. USS has a vested interest in making DAP work and they choose the players.

If you read some of the horror stories of ODP from around the country, an argument could be made that this outfit engages in systematic child abuse. It is unfortunate that USS does not have the guts to finally pull the plug on ODP.

5. Not Vago

Not Vago Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you kidding?

If you watched tonights U-18 final, you would see that from a team perspective that nothing touches the DAP finals

6. Celtic3

Celtic3 New Member

Apr 5, 2004
    ODP has failed on all levels

7. nandoal28

nandoal28 Member

Feb 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why I'm new, I don't understand?

8. marcust

marcust Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Unfortunately, the Academy teams are awash in players who never could make ODP. Maybe it's different in other areas of the country, but in the SE, many of the players are mediocre. Yes, many of the top players migrate to the Academy at the older ages, but they are not practicing with the cream of the crop as they did at the too infrequent ODP events.

9. marcust

marcust Member

Mar 12, 2008
    It will be interesting to follow the Texans over the next few years. Will Academy help or hurt them?

10. CubanLizard

CubanLizard New Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Miami
    I can't speak to all the southeast, but at least in South Florida, many academy players were former state or region III ODP and most were at least selections out of the Region A ODP trials. A bunch of the kids had dropped out of the ODP program because they realized that if you didn't make it to the region III pools in the early years, you probably were just wasting your time and money staying in the program after that.

11. soccercrazedmom1

soccercrazedmom1 New Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am so amazed at the negative comments made about ODP?! She has had a wonderful experience. The coaches (some of them I know), they don't know me but they have amazing credentials. The girls on my daughters state team, all from the Buckeye league (ohio south). She is at regional camp in Illinois right now, so I may or may not have a different impression afterward. However, she went through all the trainings which started in October and they were difficult but she loved every minute. My daughter is in a academy soccer club but she learned so much about herself and the game of soccer in ODP.

12. Stinky Shinguards

Jul 8, 2006
    IL, Chicago suburb
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your experience was the one we were hoping! Congratulations and I hope that it continues for you. Illinois' ODP is in shambles and should be scraped.

13. manu50

manu50 New Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I have to agree----ODP is far more competitive for the best players----for instance in the regional camps held this month over 500 players compete and only 36 are held over for pools ---This can be very intimidating so some players/parents choose to go to DA where you make the team as a mediocre player --one that would probably not make an odp pool game much less the team ---
    They allowed some of the DA teams to play at Disney this past year---one of them did not even score a goal , much less win a game ---it is too bad----- DA is a decent idea ---it just does not identify top talent in the current format---while the DA finals were going on --there were 500 college coachs in Denver wathcing the top 100 boys in the country competing at the esp camp --the majority of which were ODP regional players or ODP selections that were in the national pool

14. soccercrazedmom1

Jul 4, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sorry if this is a dumb question but what is "DA" ?

15. manu50

manu50 New Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

Development Academy

16. soccercrazedmom1

Jul 4, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MANU THANKS. By the way my daughter loves FC Barcelona and loves Spain so much! She went there on vacation with her best friend recently and she said she may move there one day if she can. Go FC Barcelona!

17. nandoal28

nandoal28 Member

Feb 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find this subject very interesting, and down the road I think we'll be in the position to choose one of these avenues.

Can anyone outline the pros and cons of each Academy and ODP?

18. soccercrazedmom1

Jul 4, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think there is an answer to the question. I think it depends if you are from a large city or rural town and the goals of your child. if you don't have access to a large academy club and your child has hopes of going past high school soccer to play in college you probably will need ODP and a academy or good solid soccer program where your child is challenged. I am not the expert. My daughter still has six years of solid soccer left before college. She's loved it since 4 and we never expected her to ever think so serious about soccer at such a young age. Since it means so much to my daughter, I have researched the careers of many soccer women who have played college and WPSL soccer and I have found that those women have had made it have had both ODP state and regional team experience on it and or they play on a strong team that went to out of state high profile tournaments where college recruits may go. We don't expect that she will get a college scholarship from soccer (she might but we are not counting on it, but if she gets to play in college at a good school I will feel we did her right by trying to put her in the right path.

19. socafan

socafan New Member

Oct 13, 2005
    i coached a state team for region 3 this year for the 1st time, my LM is national pool and I just knew that my CM would make holdover as he was in pool games and shut down the CM that has been National pool for the past 2 years. The regional coach that was assigned to us stated that the mentioned kid(CM) was in for sure but never made holdover camp. I saw numerous kids that had been in reg. pool but was outshined at camp this year and still made the team where the better players were sent packing. A majority of the kids asked why continue when the pool is set prior to sttending camp. I told the few that were capable continue and your time will come especially with DA teams watewring down ODP.

20. soccercrazedmom1

Jul 4, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    which region? I know that I read on the Ohio North ODP website (how they pick teams) that they pick teams and not just individuals to be on a regional team. What that means is they look for the right combination of girls boys that will make the best team.

21. AcademyReplacesODP

AcademyReplacesODP New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    That's the problem. The kids know $$$ and politics are involved so why bother? On the face of it, ODP was based on meritocracy, a pyramid ladder of open competition, though this could have been done completely free if those in charge really cared about the players instead of lining their own pockets with loot extorted from naive parents. The absurd fees only fostered corruption. The system is so broken that it could not be fixed and is now dying a slow painful death. Hence DAP.

22. SoccerDad6

SoccerDad6 New Member

Sep 11, 2007
    I'm probably newer to this than most of you, but explain the "absurd fees" to me. I have two kids currently participating in ODP, and I haven't seen any absurd fees. We pay a fairly small "training fee" that covers their training sessions. I believe it is something like $115. We pay for our State ODP Camp, which is a bargain at $150. And then we pay for the Regional Camp, and that cost is similar to most other 4-5 day camps.

I'm not arguing that ODP is any better than DAP, or vice versa. I'm just trying to figure out how ODP is a financial rip-off, who is lining their pockets with money, and how they're doing it.

23. Crystal Palace 90

Crystal Palace 90 New Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    In Illinois, it's about $1600 from Day 1 to Regional Camp. Roughly what it costs for one complete year of club soccer or 2 complete years of district based travel soccer. :rolleyes:

Is it worth it? A friend of mine decided not to do it this year because his kid's team has 1 current National team player, 3 Regional ODP players, and 2 State ODP players. Yet they cannot even beat the local powerhouse's B squad with no ODP kids (in 3 tries he told me). 6 out of 10 field players with ODP credentials mind you is fairly rare. Can you blame him for giving up on ODP? :confused:

24. soccercrazedmom1

Jul 4, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the odp camp was $550 included room and board and a rented bus for the kids. I think that is reasonable. The other fees were $100 total, this is Ohio South. How can someone pull off training kids by good coaches, find them a place to stay and use fields if they don't charge. I do think $1600 is a lot of money for odp and way more than ohio.

25. socafan

socafan New Member

Oct 13, 2005
    our training sessions are 25.00 per session, we attend 2 sub regional tournaments at 100 per kid and then Regional. camp is 525. so a full season of ODP generally runs about 900 dollars. If you add that with fees for select soccer I think it is still cheaper than the DA. This being said I think that ODP could struugle in the next couple of years as the DA is becoming more attractive for the top players. I'm curious in what direction would you steer kids that can compete in a Regional/National pool of players to help them be seen by college coaches and National team coaches, are the college/regional staff coaches attending more DA games vs the big showcase tournaments?