October Friendlies (Chile & Algeria)

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by Froboy69, Sep 10, 2019.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #351 HomietheClown, Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    Valid points and I think most of us do not like the way he is using/ignoring most creative players in these friendlies.

We should not be surprised though by the lack of creative players since I mentioned months ago that other fans who know him well say he does not like to call up creative players or play them.

I think something that is encouraging is that Carrascal and Benedetti were called up for the Sub23 though so hopefully they may get a chance eventually if they are in good form.
    And he did call up Quintero initially before he got injured so he may be tempted into calling him up if he ever gets back close to 2018 playing form.

Furnaccio repped this.
  2. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Peru arrived to the final beacuse that tournament is a joke with their format. Only won 2 matches and was the team that most received goals. Not an examole of quality maybe of lucky...in a serious tournament like world cup they havent passed to secomd round

3. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Just a general question about CQ:

1. when CQ was coaching Iran - were there any creative players to call up that he failed to incorporate into his system? I never followed their team - so I have no idea.

2. same for Portugal - Deco was probably the most creative midfielder for Portugal at that time, but his career was pretty much winding down by the time CQ was in charge of the team. Joao Moutinho is the only one that comes to mind that was not a core player used by CQ between 2008-2010 - but i would probably consider him more of a-Uribe type MF though...I recall them having plenty of wingers and decent b2b midfielders outside of CR7 with no #9

4. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    I agree with this sentiment. We set up perfectly against Argentina as a system and the only change I would make was Duvan for Falcao which is what CQ has done. I'm going to assume he's experimenting now, and if he discrards James its a non starter, it would be a big mistake and I think everyone see that. No need to look to much into friendlies, we can judge when the real games come around.

Furnaccio and J-Mezzy repped this.
  5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I cannot get into details because I also did not follow Portugal closely but there are complaints from the Portuguese forum on this site about how he should have utilized more creative players and instead went for a more defensive and physical approach.

Furnaccio repped this.
  6. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Originally I was strongly against CQ because of his tendency against utilizing creative players and playing defensive, I always wanted Gareca as the first choice, but CQ did look like he was going to embrace a good balance of pressing attackers with our creative players, if he regresses to simply being defensive and athletic then he needs to go, we need to utilize defensive two way players in order to use our creative attackers and get as much of the ball as we can, not to discard them.

HomietheClown, Furnaccio and pepinointer repped this.
  7. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    And use creative players, doesnt mean use only james as creative player and dont find alternatives of creative players when he isnt there, like have happened in the last two called ups. that actually was the biggest mistake of Pekerman agaisnt england...replaced james with lerma basically....

8. Ciro Di Marzio

Ciro Di Marzio Member+

SSC Napoli
    Canada
    Jun 28, 2019
    Scampia
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    puta madre 3-0 por Algeria. Yo se que James no jugo pero esto es un problema.. No es un juego competetivo pero 3-0 es muy malo ....

pepinointer repped this.
  9. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I don’t disagree with you at all, but I do feel like there is some overreacting to these two friendlies.

Would there have been a formation or style of play that would have allowed us to be more attack minded - with the players he called up these past two games. I ask bc I have no clue what, if anything, would have allowed us to play better in both games? I value your approach to tactics a lot - what could have been tried that was not experimented?

my primary critique from the Algeria game was that players were not passing into space and creating space for others. Algeria suffocated us and gave us no space. For that I give props to them. And defensively we gave Algerians space and they capitalized on those opportunities with 3 goals - there have been times in the past where I say smart teams/ players will execute on our mistakes and that’s what happened with Mahrez who has clearly learned a thing or two while playing for man city.

I didn’t pay attention to the James-CQ “he said / she said” story. How do you interpret James’ exclusion? Was it something along the lines of James saying he wanted to focus on Madrid hence why he didn’t come, but CQ saying something inconsistent?

Should certain players have not been called up - seems like the roster he called up was not a drastic change from prior rosters?

Should certain players have been included (which goes back to my prior question - who should not have come)? Cardona is the primary name that comes up - but his actions/track record probably puts a black cloud over his head??

10. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Exactamente, desde el 2010, es el tercer partido que Colombia pierde por 3 goles. En 2015 se perdio por 3-0 frente a Montevideo y en 2016 en buenos aires frente a Argentina.

Primera vez que perdemos con un equipo africano en 9 años. Se jugaron 7 partidos desde el 2012, y todos con resultado favorable para Colombia.

James no jugo, y Colombia ha ganado partidos importantes sin James (en eliminatorias y el mismo mundial)....no es excusa.

Queiroz quiere implementar un sistema con jugadores veloces y fisicos, descartanado jugadores talentosos en el mediocampo.

arrivederci buon amico!

Ciro Di Marzio repped this.
  11. Ciro Di Marzio

Ciro Di Marzio Member+

SSC Napoli
    Canada
    Jun 28, 2019
    Scampia
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Si pero Argentina y Uruguay son mas fuertes. Estoy de acuerdo contigo. Necesitamos ganar estos juegos. Ahora en nuestros ultimos 5 juegos, nunca hemos ganado.

Hermano, mi madre viene de Medellin, Colombia. Soy de Canada pero soy italiano y Colombiano. De donde eres?

pepinointer repped this.
  12. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Soy Colombiano de Bogota, @Baal88 @RafaLarios viven en medellin, los demas son colombianos que viven en Alemania, estados, unidos, Finlandia, Chile, etc.

y @pibe10 es de israel y @kifrão de Francia, pero ambos son fans de la seleccion.,

Bienvenido al Foro, puedes escribir cuando desees. Es mucho mas activo en el subforo de Colombians in Abroad.

kifrão, pibe10 and Ciro Di Marzio repped this.
  13. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    I actually didn't watch either game so I can't really comment specifically on our tactics, but I do think a good coach will experiment and try things in these games. I personally think James and CQ probably discussed it and it was agreed he'll stay and build up fitness and do his most to win his spot, that leaves CQ short creative players and with Quintero doing the same thing I'd imagine he decided he didn't like the other creative options and decided he'd work on a more defensive/pressing system. I think its fine, our players first and foremost need to work on a high pressing system which he uses, that's the most important issue for us to learn, offensively from what I've seen we're probably doing ok with the pool we have. I'm not sure calling up a Cardona if he's not in the plans makes sense, I like Cardona a lot as a player but agree he's a bit of a wild card. My only real gripe is playing Murillo, we should be working with Lucemi and even Cuesta as the guys who we should be getting up to speed to play over the next 3 years. I don't think we should panic, these games were treated like experiments and the knowledge and things gained can be valuable but we have to see how its approached in real games.

I'm on board with us working and practicing to be a high pressing team, outside of that we need to use James or Quintero, if they aren't available I think Cardona is the only guy up to the level to play but it seems like CQ doesn't want the hassle, which is meh. Quintero and James back and them playing and everything is fine for me system and player wise if he adds Arias and sticks to the system we used against Argentina and in the COPA, because I think that system fits perfectly with he type of players we have and its a very effective system if used correctly.

Furnaccio repped this.
  14. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Argelia is the current African champ. It's not like they should be a cakewalk. They played all their starters and we didnt. I would be hugely worried if the same set up vs Chile just a few days prior, performed this poorly. CQ put up a different team with attacking defensive wings to prove I don't know what.
    But with 4 defenders that have never played together and without his linchpin Barrios holding the MF, there was too much improvisation for a guy who is such a stickler for defense. Jury is still out on CQ. I'm not happy with the result and it surely made me rethink if he's going to be the guy that gets us to the next level but I'll wait to see what he brings in November's matches.

At that point, he needs to have 90% of the team set up. When March qualifiers are in place there should be no question who's who in this team.

dapip repped this.
  15. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #365 pepinointer, Oct 17, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    Pff..... lying to yourself, “pajazo mental“

1. Africa cup is a tounrament played every 2 years that “everybody can win“. the last 3 champions Cote de Ivoire (2015), Camerun (2017) Argelia (2019) didnt go to the last world cup.....in 2012 the was ZAMBIA.....in 2000 to 2010...egypt won the cup like 4 times and never went to world cup and didnt have the same quality of players as nigeria, camerun or cote de ivore.......absolutely in history the african champion isnt a team to fear for other teams outside the africa....

2. Argelia wasnt able to qualify to last world cup, and today is 38 in the FIFA ranking, i wont think they are elite or a solid team because they won a cup in that every two years have a champion....and even zambia won recently.

3. In these last 5 years we have faced more powerful african teams....without a defeat.....even we won ahgisnt the national team of yaya toure, drogba, mane, koulybally.........

4. The team that played for colombia wasnt unexperimented....murillo and sanchez both have 20 apparitions with colombia, in wcq, copa america.....mojica starter in world cup with sanchez.....the only “newbey“ was mojica...please dont say that this was a new defense.........also lerma, uribe, muriel, cuadrado and ospina COMPLETE MORE THAN OF 200 MATCHES OF TOGETHER.....unnaceptable to lose 3-0 agaisnt a team that didnt wnet to last world cup and is below the 30 place in ranking fifa.

5. the play and the result was catastrophic and people have all the right to be worry.

Cruzifero repped this.
  16. kifrão

kifrão Member

Angers SCO
    Colombia
    Aug 19, 2008
    La Rochelle, Francia
    Club:
    Toulouse FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Lo habia publicado en el topic Morelos pero me permitio de publicarlo también aqui, nuestra entrevista de Alfredo Morelos después del partido : https://www.cafooteros.com/2019/10/16/alfredo-morelos-xxx/
    Bueno, lo siento por la foto de poca calidad pero no sé hacer dos cosas en el mismo tiempo, escuchar y sacar una buena foto jajaja[​IMG]

J-Mezzy, dapip and pepinointer repped this.
  17. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    I'm not looking to make excuses for Colombia or CQ. We lost and we lost 'feo' but a catastrophe?

We had plenty of other matches that I can recall (ex: WCQ18 Col vs Bol 1-1, Col vs Paraguay 1-2), where we just didnt show up at home with a 'weaker' opponent and when those points mattered. I wan't calling Argelia a powerhouse but we were obviously playing a team that is in form, that has a pretty solid starting 11 that had not last in it's last 18 matches. CQ misjudged this Argelia team thinking any Colombian 11 would dominate.

They can only play in the confederation they can play in and they won their cup. Whether you don't give that any importance, that's up to you, but Conmebol will have had played 4 Copa Americas in 5 years time so we shouldnt be holding Conmebol as the most organized entity.

There are also more traditional CAF teams that are poorly ranked: Nigeria(34), Tunisia(29), Ghana(51), Cameroon(53). With 45+ CAF teams they tend to play teams with lower rankings so that's not going to help. Now with Euro nations playing Nations League, there's even less opportunities to improve on those rankings. Let's not forget, they did play in WC 14 and made it to 2nd round play. Again, no cakewalk team.

I agree, specially when it mattered, we beat Ivory Coast and Senegal. We've done well in other friendlies too. Doesn't mean that we're worst off. Just like beating Argentina 2-0 in 2019 CA doesnt mean we'll beat them in qualifiers.

I meant the SAME back 4, Mojica, Orejuela, Murillo and Sanchez have not played together. It makes a difference in your timing, in your cohesion and shows up in your play. Yairo in MF is still a work in progress. Barrios is the undeniable DFM for CQ. So the defensive block he threw out there was improvised. They didnt connect offensively or defensively.

Yes, everyone has the right to their opinion and you deem this catastrophic. I don't see panic. Throwing this team into disarray by firing the DT would not do anything to help this team. As some have mentioned, if you're going to make stupid lineups/tactical decisions that give you a poor result, you might as well learn now and not when we play for points.

Furnaccio, J-Mezzy and dapip repped this.
  18. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #368 pepinointer, Oct 18, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    Colombia won 6 points against bolivia( so the 1-1 existn is your head) and we lost against with paraguay , in the last 10 minutes because concentration mistakes. Non comparison with the match of wensday that we WERE TOTTALY OUTPLAYED by opponnets...we didnt just "lost" .....we played like ecuador when we defeat them in barranquilla.

You are quotin the rankings and ghana and cameroon ranking teams that didnt went to last wprld cup...to justify argelia bad ranking....interesting......first verify if thies teams have the same quality pf players

Sanchez and murillo have played together plenty of times.....that the 4 havent played together is a very bad excuse since......we have debuted a lot od times with different lins of defense in last years.

If you pretend that the only way that a defense can fuve guarantees is that yhr 4 have played before you are totally wrong

For example agsint argentina was the first time that medina mina sanchez and tesillo played tihether and they received ZERO GOALS

Againts paraguay was the first time that
    Arias lucumi zapata and borja played together and they receive ZERO GOALS

Stop looking for excuses that doenst apply.

The true is that we lost REALLY BAD against a team that isnt strong. That 4 days before our match
    DRAW 1-1 agains CONGO with the same players.so i think is acceprable we also lose against congo.

This game was pathetic and the worse in years of colombia

19. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Algeria rested most of their starting line-up to play against Congo. Only 3 players that started vs Congo started vs Colombia. The Algeria lineup that played vs Colombia was basically the same that played the CAF final.

Results from this last friendly was very poor. Play was poor. We got owned. No one is denying that. Just because we've improvided before and the result wasnt 3-0 doesnt mean that we were good.

There's been plenty of times in the past (before CQ) where we played horrible, even worse, (vs Argentina CA 2015 for example) and the official score ended 0-0. That was a truly pathetic performance from Colombia and the result should have been 5-0 minimum against us.

Why is it that now friendlies results matter? Prior to this 0-3 defeat, even with subs/changes, we hadn't played so horrible. We played some good games, some mediocre and some poor. That's what a DT is there to do. To find a balance. The guy just took over 8 months ago and from what I can gauge from the past 8-10 matches, including Copa. To think that some other DT would have had a massively different result is pure speculation. Right now, we have who we have with CQ. He has material to work with and he has time. Next month we play a team ranked #65, that Argentina just destroyed. Short of a goleada, what are your expectations for that match?

Furnaccio repped this.
  20. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    1. The guy arrived 8 months to a team, with a base, that have been a regular team in these years, that havebt been out of top 15 in last 6 years,....he doesnt have to fix nothing distroyed, there is no excuse that he show regression......this generation have had our better presentation in world cups..........he isnt resoliving a crisis .........the team never was so unbalanced agaisnt an african team since bolillo matches in 2010.

2. The fact that according to you another coach wont be better that doesnt mean that he is doing a good job, doesnt mean that he is doing good things.,...is easy to see a team regressing. And for example Pekerman took a team in crisis and in 12 matches he had much better results.....scored more goals and recive less goals. sSo because accoridng to you there werent more good coaches available so we have to applause to queiroz, that we haven won in the last 5 matches and we have only scored in one of the last 5......

3. results are not relevant and doesnt matter......but the poor play does, the lack of scoring and how we arent create clean options goals.......agsint chile all our options were shots from difficult positions

4. . we should defeat Ecuador without problem as have happened in our last matches that we have DEFEATED them badly, even in Quito....and argentina is improving a lot of...and not use the absence of messi in friendlies to dont play good.

21. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    But this last WC performance left us with lots of problems and questions regarding those base players. CQ picked up our base of players with injuries, lack of club play, problems in their clubs, etc. This is not Colombia 2014 edition and it's only as of recent that CQ is just about to have full disposition and players at full strength and in form. James, Arias, Fabra, Quintero, Mina, Mojica, Falcao surely part of the previous base of players are finally getting minutes, staying healthy and marking a difference. I really hope to see some of those names back on the team (obviously Mina has been playing).

The lack of scoring has been a major issue for YEARS. Five teams scored more goals then us and if those teams can improve their defense than we're out of a WC. So don't tell me it's a CQ recent problem. 1990 Colombia was a better presentation than 2018 Colombia, specially when yo u consider that our players were basically a home based product vs the internationals we have today on our roster. 2014 was better than all previous campaigns, without a doubt.

Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 11.55.06 AM.png

I love Pekerman. He'll go down in my history book as a great DT but as you said previously he also inherited one of the best, if not the best generation of players. Bolillo's performance in CA 2011 showed signs that Colombia was on the uptrend. All I'm saying is I need more data. For example, now that he has more negative press, I need to see how CQ adjusts in the next set of friendlies.

I'd like to see how he phases in the 1st call ups for March. I'd like to see how his Colombia performs at home, under pressure for points. That means we will have 2 WCQ matches and his 2nd CA under his belt. If you end up being 100% right than by the end of June, the worst case is we would have no Copa title coming home (which we havent won since 2001 so we shouldnt have some lofty expectation) and we have zero points from 2 WCQ matches (which can also happen if we ended up drawing against one of the top 3: Arg, Bra, Uru). That would be horrible but not the end of the world in my book.

I agree, we should beat Ecuador. And we should clearly be the better team on the field. And I expect that to be the case. I agree Argentina is improving but they've also had some stinkers (the Chile 0 Arg 0 match just last month was as boring a game as you'll ever see) and in Copa America they weren't exactly great to watch. Honestly I'm not sure which Argentina we'll be facing in qualifiers specially once Messi is back in that line-up.

Furnaccio repped this.
  22. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Unfortunate arguments, and misrepresented facts. Man verify facts before you say anything tthat doenst have sense.

1990 Colombia was a better presentation than 2018 Colombia, specially when yo u consider that our players were basically a home based product vs the internationals we have today on our roster. 2014 was better than all previous campaigns, without a doubt

Please explain me how 1990 world cup was better than 2018 presentation:

1. 1990: third place of the group, only a victory aganst EMIRATOS ARABES and 2 losts, 3 goals scored, 4 goals recieved...with the actual ruling that team wont have passed to round of 16
    2018: First Place of the group, two victories agaisnt teams with players of the category, of lewandosky, milik, mane, koulibally, szchenzy........6 goals, only 2 goals received.

First is better than third for your information.

Is a idicioy to say that 1990 was a better presentation....but if your head tell you that a presentantion in a tournament that only won to arab emirates, was better than 2018....Dont lie to yourself, please now dont invent other results like the 1-1 against bolivia in wcq 2018...to say that 1990 was a better presetentation

WHAT BS TO SAY THAT PRESENTATION WAS BETTER than 2018.

In 1990, there wasnt bosman law...and all players didnt have to emigrate to show if they were quality.,...the goali of argentina was runner up, played in colo,bia....even in 1986 trobiano champion played in colombia........there were different times,

"The lack of scoring .has been a major issue for YEARS. Five teams scored more goals then us and if those teams can improve their defense than we're out of a WCSo don't tell me it's a CQ recent problem."

Please explain me what was the last time, that COLOMBIA DIDNT WIN THE LAST 5 MATCHES??? WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME THAT COLOMBIA ONLY SCORE IN ONE MATCH OF THE LAST 5???
    TELL ME!!!

YES THIS IS HIS FAULT BECAUSE THII IS NEW AND STARTED TO HAPPEN WITH HIM AFTER A LOT OF YEARS.

Even with reyes we were scoirng more than with queiroz

The fact that other south american teams score more than colombia last wcq, (a wcq that we achieved or goal.....ONLY 6 TIMES) doesnt mean is usual to live this poor scoring situation in recent years....

To say that this of something tthat we live with the previous coach,...is ignored facts,

Just in 2018 we scored 3 goals agsint france, 3 agaist poland, 4 goals agasint usa, 3 agsint costa rica.........

What a way to demerit the level of NATIONAL TEAM and regularity that has taken place in these years to defend a guy who has not yet contributed anything. apart from starring in the worst defeat against an African team.

CQ picked up our base of players with injuries, lack of club play, problems in their clubs, etc

Previous coach also have to deal with that and was excuse to made horrible called ups, lacking creative players and only booking with physics players, wings like queiroz called ups..........if there is a factor of our poor scoring situations is

23. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    That back 4 without Barrios is definitely experimental. I'd like to point out also that Colombia was outplayed by Senegal and we won based on a set piece goal but Senegal was the better team overall. Also Mahrez was the best team on a Leicester team that wasn't all that and was at times the only offensive player to drag them to a premier league title and has been ridiculous for Man City lately. We put up 4 shots against Senegal, historically we have done well against African teams but lots of them are getting better. We can say for sure this was a bad game but friendlies shouldn't be weighted too high, we beat France in a friendly before the World Cup where we were completely dominated for long stretches of the game but pulled off a nice comeback. If its consistently bad performances or not creating chances we can panic, but a friendly after a good game (where we didn't score but played well overall) isn't time to hit the emergency button.

kromekote and Furnaccio repped this.
  24. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    CQ flattens your team to a uniform consistent unit with no big name in future, if you let him stay. It will be organized but there won't be any game changer if you concede first. If he stays for more than 3-4 years, by the time he leaves you have a team full of nobodies specially if your golden generation is phasing out. This will creat a gap, be aware.

pepinointer repped this.
  25. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    1. Paraguay game defense: arias----lucumi---zapata-----borja

----------------------------------------------Lerma/Cuellar.------NOT BARRIOS

Peru game defense: Cuellar instead of Uribe. .

Both game were won.......so dont invent that we lost because there was a new defense and because barrios dont play.........

2. Senegal was organizated, but only had the aproximation that sanchez saved (penalty not called after VAR.

3. Disagree that game with chile was good.......the score chances created was very uncoforrtable shots since difficult angles......yeah maybe better than the horrible game of copa america agisnt the same oponnet.