Octavio Zambrano- back in coaching

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by MetroFever, Sep 9, 2006.

1. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Former MetroStars coach Octavio Zambrano is the new coach of FC Tiligul in the Moldova First Division, Soccer America reported Friday.

Tiligul is in ninth place of the 10-team First Division.

Don't count me out," he said. "I feel I have another go. I still have enough wherewithal in me. I've kept up with the game. I know what's going on in MLS. I know what's going all over the world."

http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/article.php?article_id=7002

2. metro1026

metro1026 New Member

Jan 21, 1999
    Swamps of Jersey
    Is Moldova even a real country?

j/k

3. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did he pick up Steve Shak?

4. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    Somewhere in the world Byron Alvarez' phone is ringing......

5. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA
    and Daniel Hernandez?

6. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Interesting stuff in Galarcep's article today. During his tenure, some of the know-it-all posters here (most of them long gone) claimed Zambrano was an agent or took payments from players for bringing them over.

This is the first time I've ever seen any writer address this issue:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=378629&root=mls&cc=5901

One other possible factor in the lack of interest from teams is persistent rumors that Zambrano accepted payments from players he brought to the MetroStars. The rumors, which have never been proven, have circulated in MLS circles and could have left some teams wondering whether Zambrano could be trusted.

"I would challenge anybody, any player any agent, anybody, to come to me and say they gave me money," said Zambrano. "More clearer than that I cannot put it. I think people that have issues with me grabbed a hold of this. It's a typical situation of throwing mud at somebody and hoping that it sticks.

"It saddens me that these rumors have gotten to a point where it actually impacted my career," said Zambrano. "That saddens me because it is not true."

7. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then why the f would you draft Steve Shak instead of Bocanogre or Garcia with the first draft pick??? Maybe this is why nobody wanted you?

8. spartak-champion

Mar 14, 2000
    NY, USA
    QUOTE [Zambrano's tenure with the Metros also had its bad moments. From his selection of Steve Shak... to his memorable suggestion that Clint Mathis seek psychiatric help, Zambrano had his share of stumbles.]
    I love Clint to pieces and, as many of you did, expected great things from him both in Metrostars and in US national team. Looks like these hopes will never materialize. So maybe Zambrano was, to some degree, right back then?

9. Juan Luis Guerra

Juan Luis Guerra Red Card

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    Zambrano is the man

10. studsup

studsup New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Garden State, born N
    The man perfected the art of the 90th minute subsitution.

His only accomplishments that came close were the art of the 91st and 92nd minute substitution.

As far as representing players on one hand and signing them with the other hand goes, where were the vociferous denials when the rumors were all over and he has coach (sic).

Never saw one of those contracts and I bet they'll never be made public either. So he can say what he wants.

He was atrocious with his star talent. Valencia used to walk off the field, out of the stadium, out of New Jersey, and out of the country regularly on the guy.

The only sporting he did on the sideliines was to "sport" a nice suit.

11. NYCfan

NYCfan New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stop beating around the bush. How do you really feel about the guy:D

12. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Perhaps other rumors have impacted his career more:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octavio_Zambrano
    "He coached the team for three years, following a promising first year with a weaker second, and a disastrous third."
    Who writes these things? :D
    http://www.metrofanatic.com/team/coach.jsp?ID=6
    http://www.metrofanatic.com/team/schedule.jsp?YEAR=2002

13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Couple of things:

A) MLS players don't make enough money to be paying off coaches. I mean, you think Steve Shak's salary left him enough cash to give a big enough kickback to OZ to make it worth taking a lesser player?

B) Shak, Bocanegra and Garcia were all Richard Motzkin clients. He wins no matter who is picks. So why does he care which one OZ took? Certainly no financial reason to help Shak out.

Look, I can't tell you that Zambrano never took kickbacks and pro soccer is a dirty business so I'm not naive to think things like this never happen. But, if OZ did take money from players, it just goes against all logic to suggest that money was why he took Shak.