Obetz wants Browns events

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by CybrSlydr, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's informative and all, but the point wasn't that they quickly called a practice at MAPFRE. That's farther than even I would go.

As mentioned, the point is the posting of the pictures, particularly the last one which, since the team staff works in that very building, they already knew.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  2. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I'm still not sure what's illegal about this. I'm going to give Obetz the benefit here and describe them as moronically ambitious but I don't see it as illegal.

3. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    The current lease is month to month. Either side can cancel it with only a month's notice. What Obetz is trying isn't illegal, it's just futile. If Obetz announced today that August was the Crew's last month there, the team could either move to Mapfre or probably tie it up in court through the end of the season.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  4. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I'll accept futile. Idiotic. Stupid. Arrogant. Useless. Misguided. Just plain dumb. But not illegal.

catfish9 and DGA57v2 repped this.
  5. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    IANAL, but I don't see how it's illegal either. I think that was just extrapolated from the earlier description of Obetz trying to extort Haslam's as a colorful descriptor, but then some ran with that in it's legal form. Actual extortion is illegal, this is not actually extortion. Now had they had a long term contract and made that same threat, maybe? I'll defer to those that went to law school on that one.

LaMacchia repped this.
  6. BigStern

BigStern Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 2, 2018
    Columbus by way of Lima
    Hey man, I told you I didn't want to rain on your conspiracy theory. Do you think it was Dee or Bez who met with the photographer in the dark bowels of MAPFRE to make sure they got the right picture to stick it to Obetz?

7. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Of course not. It was an email to a right-hand, who told the Marketing director, who told the Social Media Director and whomever was in charge of getting the content for that event. Remember, we're not small time anymore. Duh.

8. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Moronic ambition is what this country was founded upon!

9. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of sticking something in your dark bowels..

10. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought @Ch(Elsey) kindly asked you to keep such information to yourself?

MLSinSTL and Draghignazzo repped this.
  11. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I think that everytime I see that acronym, and giggle.

12. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So many risque images of Bez and Porter on these boards. You would think it were full of ladies.

13. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    We were told not to do that anymore. It was the right thing. But, I prefer looking at the ladies.

14. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    If the Crew didn't want to move from Obetz to Mapfre until after the season, they could probably stall termination of the lease. Crew file suit alleging Obetz didn't follow correct procedures for termination. They ask for a preliminary injunction preserving the status quo until the case is decided. The case gets scheduled for February. In December case is withdrawn.

Obetz could certainly fight the case but is a lot more likely to agree to a December termination date than insist on August.

15. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obetz has an unused lacrosse stadium sitting there rotting away,now they want to accelerate the time frame for adding an empty soccer training complex to their portfolio of abandoned sports facilities? Nice. I hope the Haslams stick it to them, although finding land and creating a temporary training complex would be difficult and costly. The State of Ohio also seems to be getting into the extortion game with The Crew, forming a commission to study the impact of losing parking to the new Crew training/City of Columbus sports complex. Next thing you know Haslam/Edwards will be asked to build parking structures for the State Fairgrounds.....

16. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #41 Bill Archer, Jul 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    And frankly, calling it " a conspiracy theory" is inaccurate, stupid, insulting, arrogant and, frankly it pisses me off.

Saying that someone posted some pics to try and troll the assholes in Obetz is not " a conspiracy theory" and anyone who would say such a stupidass thing is a jerk. It's just what morons say about everything. Ignorant, brainless morons.

Die in fire you maggot

17. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya know, I was talking about this with my friends the other day (it wasn't a Whatsapp group though, we're not that cool; it was Slack) and I mentioned that if I were Jimmy Haslam I'd walk into Virgil's office, drop a check for $20 million on his desk and say "shut up and build a f*cking garage." That's probably the fastest, easiest, and most satisfying way to end all of the Fairgrounds hysterics.

WhiteHartShame repped this.
  18. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    [​IMG]

19. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Where is the lacrosse stadium? Btw, I’ve been in the “Fortress”. We were there right after it opened and it looked nice. Cheap, but nice. We went in a year or so later to do some work for them and it’s tore up. Floors need replaced, leaky roof, water damage. Hell, they were even parking lawn mowers and shit in the middle of the locker rooms. That thing will be a rotting pile of garbage in 5 years.

Bill Archer repped this.
  20. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You improved on the original. KHT, you really are a magician because you had little to work with.

MLSinSTL repped this.
  21. BigStern

BigStern Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 2, 2018
    Columbus by way of Lima
    Whoa, I'm sorry Bill. I didn't mean to push those kinds of buttons. In fact, I think it would be hilarious if the trolling was the case. I just tend to think pictures of a training session that get posted yearly are just that, regular pictures of training. Occam's razor and all.

My bad on going the hyperbole route, those kinds of jokes get lost in the sauce in text based convos. I don't think anyone here is a conspiracy theorist.

22. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is Virgil?

23. QuarkspaceDotCom

Mar 14, 2000
    Deep in the Bluegrass Hinterlands
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Virgil Caine served on the Danville train, until those Union heroes in blue under Stoneman tore up the tracks again.

24. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AIUI the Fortress IS the lacrosse stadium.

And the reason it looks cheap is because it is. It was built out of used - pardon me, "repurposed' - shipping containers.

A company out of Texas puts them up. Cheap, down & dirty. Now in fact these structures can apparently be somewhat decent BUT what you don't spend on construction you HAVE to spend on maintenance. You need almost constant attention to waterproofing and repairs.

Of course, as is likely in this case, the reason why people build this way is so they don't have to spend a lot of money. So they tend not to dedicate a ton of money for maintenance going forward.

I haven't seen this particular setup but I know Falcon built it and I'm gonna suggest that yourfive year time frame is way optimistic.

the_rickler repped this.
  25. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You get triple points for knowing it's "Stoneman" and not "so much" as that simpering twit Joan Baez sang it.

QuarkspaceDotCom repped this.