Obama Failure Thread Part IV

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Sep 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    throw in man-made global warming deniers and they'll declare war

2. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you need me to explain it to you?

3. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yes, please do. With plenty of hyperbole and context-free absolutes, if you don't mind. Bonus points if you can mention marijuana.

5 people repped this.
  4. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp6-wG5LLqE"]Wont Get Fooled Again - YouTube[/ame]

5. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Medicinal or otherwise? BTW -- am I the only person in the world who has never tried pot who thinks it should be legal?

Or am I just the only person on the world who has never tried pot?

As for Awlaki -- no one should cry over the guy. He had never been indicted of anything and was not actually carrying arms against the US. He was a propagandist and yes, too many of his "correspondents" turned out to be terrorists (the Fort Hood shooter for example and at least 2 of the 9/11 hijackers). He was a US citizen and is Yemen in a war zone? In the end, I think it was justified, using the Civil War precedents of Valandigham (go after the agitator who causes others to act) and Lincoln's use of war powers against the Confederacy (combinations too powerful to be addressed by normal judicial proceedings.

And for all the fears of slippery slopes, we will not see Predators over Paris.

Still, this is the first time that a US citizen has been publically placed on a "death list" though I am sure it has happened before.

I also think this is further proof that the Obama Administration has taken a "kill don't capture" approach to dealing with terrorists. No nasty law suits or worries about Guantanamo. Dead terrorists tell no tales but they also file no habeas petitions.

6. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    No.

7. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never tried pot either. Thus my opinion on whether it should be legal is irrelevant:cool:

8. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the matter with you?

Not only should you toke a bit, I think you would be well served by dropping a tab or two.

9. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What if I were a recovering alcoholic? What if I was allergic to THC? What if I had asthma? One of the reasons why marijuana usage for very sick people is a BAD idea is because there are reasons why it's not passed out like candy to children. While I think it ought to be legal, I also think it ought to be restricted and regulated.

10. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    So you think government will work better than private enterprise?

11. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What if?

Let's regulate peanuts, then

Use an atomizer or eat some space cakes

To anyone over 21. Fine by me.

Seriously, you need to dose. Some head cleaner would be good for you.

12. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously - your response to my idea to regulate marijuana is to say "regulate peanuts."

This is the kind of intellectual heavyweight language that has kept the Libertarian party front and center as a dominant force in American politics.

13. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Far more people are allergic to peanuts than THC. I'm just calling out the assininity of your statement.

Again, I'm not a libertarian. And you still need to drop acid. It would really do amazing things for you.

14. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the better things I only did once in my life.

15. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess you are unfamiliar with the US government. Here is the US regulation for peanut butter:

The regulation of peanuts is pretty extensive and well-documented. Again, this is the type of intellectual heavyweightedness that has kept your movement on the fringes.

16. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have a movement, dinkleberry.

17. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just had a bowel movement. does that count?

1 person likes this.
  18. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't done that in almost 20 years; it's something I plan to do at least once more before I die. Preferably out camping somewhere back in Nebraska, either by myself or with an old friend, when I have the entire next day free to sleep it off.

19. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think the sandhills might be a good place for that. Wouldn't be the first time someone did a vision quest out there, either.

20. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's exactly where I was thinking of. Have you ever been there?

21. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    My wife and I spent a few days in the Badlands National Park in South Dakota. We drove down to see a Mari Sandoz marker, then over to a town that has the Sand Hills museum. Can't remember the name and I'm late for a 3:30 meeting.

But it wasn't just like being in a different country. It was like a different planet. Same as the badlands in that respect.

22. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep...it's really otherwordly.

And you can really get some quality time to yourself--an area the size of West Virginia, with a total population of just over 20,000. No cell phone coverage, no billboards or even fences along the roads.

23. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sleeping it off was never an issue for me. Usually I need the next day to just process what happened.

My spot is going to be in a cabin on Fire Island but I definitely need to wait a couple of year for the little one to grow up. Otherwise, I'm kind of a bad parent.

Unless she is old enough and we do it together. That could be rad. Who knows?

24. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, to be clear--I used to usually take my trips overnight; then I'd come down around dawn, and spend the whole morning just contemplating, letting it all sink in, whatever. Then around noon, I'd be ready to catch some shut-eye.

Cabin sounds nice. And yeah, I want the boy grown and out of the house (the older one already is).

Could be; I think I'll pass, though. I'm sure I've made some mistakes as a parent, and maybe someday they'll want to talk to me about them; I don't think this is how I'd want them to come out. ;)

25. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think I'm going to need to add that place to my long list of road trip material, sounds awesome. When I was a tot we used to go to the Mojave Desert for our sessions, similar effect.

And I'm thinking mushrooms topped with a hit of nitrous might do the job for AB.

1 person likes this.