O Fenomeno - The Ronaldo thread

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Denilson70, Sep 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mibu Clan

Mibu Clan New Member

Jul 4, 2006
    Bogota
    Well, Im sorry I was born into a family with no heritage in Futbol. Im a lone fan within my family, and have never followed any other team as closely and critically.

I was hurt when WE lost in 2006, in 2003... I was pissed, I was hurt.

Yes, I am not Brasilian and YES I do have have a family heritage for both following Futbol or with Brasil... This takes NOTHING away from what I have in the past and currently feel for the team.

Yes I am not a true Brasileiro, and never will be because I am Colombian and I am proud of that, I have never visisted Brasil (2014 though... :)) and know few Brasilians... I am only 19 and have not seen the prime Futebol Jogo Bonito... but there have been games I felkt like getting out and saying " Oh FUK YEAH" just like Ive also left saying "FUK THIS SHIT" .

However the Brasilians I have met, really nice too, have always been quite impressed on how I have been following the team and my knowledge of it, despite not having the heritage nor the patriotism to go with it.

Anyways, it's not something I need to prove, my sentiment and emotion. You know me not, nor have any idea as to why I even like Futbol... even Im not sure.

Hell, I even celebrated the 1-2 in Barranqilla on 2003-4... on Colombia. (Not anymore... can't go against your roots) even if Colombia loses against Brasil my feelings are not hurt...

So please, don't opinion on something you have no idea about. Im done with this conversation unless the next post warrants the slightest of my attention.... ...

2. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    Late 1970s? Same here - England-Brazil 1978. Feel the defeats? Oh ******** me, you should have been with me in Frankfurt in the last Copa - feeling physically sick all day, 'knowing' we would probably lose against our bete noir the French (and sick because I paid a fortune to for flights and ticket). Or what about walking out of the Stade de France on 12th July 1998 having got a pasting by the French, surrounded by dancing French people and that with a Brazil shirt on. The bad........

The good.......Recife, March 1994, simply the best atmosphere I have experienced in a football ground - AND beating those Arg 2-0. Proud to see O Fenomeno's first game in a Brazil shirt that night. Another Memory was Nantes in June 1998 for Ronaldo's first WC goal v Morocco. Another - Maracana in April 1998 for one of the worst displays v Arg, but I simply had to get to that stadium one day.

Do not ever doubt my commitment.

3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    If we ever play France in a WC again ... please don't go to the stadium :p

4. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    VERY funny. You can't blame me - I did not play! Er, I did not go in 1986............!!

5. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    I think one or to of you should consider that there are different levels of 'estrangeiros' following your team. There are the ones who watch on TV and think they know everything. There are others who simply 'support' Brazil because they were succesful when they were a certain age (they do not actually 'support' because the they never go the stadiums and watch them, i.e. 'bandwagoners' as the John Wayne of this forum said above). Now there are others who notwithstanding their 'own' country plays Brazil wants Brazil to win. I do not think anyone can dispute that anyone who has a second team/country after their own, then Brazil is the most popular choice. Does anyone disagree? For some of us it is our first and only choice, and that is where I come in!! Re knowledge of things Selecao, all I would say that a Brazilian journalist thought I knew a little bit about things by making me one of the authors of a book on the history of the Selecao not too long ago.

6. Mibu Clan

Mibu Clan New Member

Jul 4, 2006
    Bogota
    You can't blame people who dont go to the stadium either.... I've never had the $$$ to go to the stadium, infact Ive only gone once... much less actually go to another country + hotel + tickets... Im only 19 so I cant use my working money since I dont work.

Though for the WC 2014 Its a MUST!!

7. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    Let's get back to talking about Brazil's second highest scorer (62 in 97 = respect) shall we!!

8. Colorado_GAUCHO

Nov 16, 2004
    Porto Alegre-BRASIL
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Highest scorer because the press and others wanted this way. Forcing us to watch a fat washed up loser with our #9.

I saw so many camisas that were world class to be impressed with gornaldo.

Rei Dada' (much better than ronaldo), Casagrande, Careca, Romario (way better than Ronaldo), Edmundo (no auge), Viola (no auge), Müller, Serginho Chulapa, Luisão (no auge), Bebeto etc etc

so screw ronaldo and his fatass. He's such a loser these day, got b1tchslapped by his brother in law for kissing in the mouth on a Birthday party. What a loser.

9. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    Now you really are joking - tough talker and perhaps drinker?! You must be drunk if you think Serginho (the man the rest of the team in 1982 had to put the ball on his head a yard from goal so he did not miss! - and if he had passed to Zico v Italy we would have celebrated the tetra 12 years before we eventually did), Viola (one foot man!), Edmundo (brave but did very little in the yellow and almost cost us the 1997 Copa America), Luisao (the man who was so slow he who took half hour to reach a ball to get a penalty v Turkey) were better players than O Fenomeno? Romario - brilliant but easily the most selfish and arrogant homem to wear a Selecao shirt and became a joke hunting his "1,000" goal (probably nearer to 800 actually). Bebeto - brilliant, so no complaints there. Muller - not in Ronaldo's league but I liked him. Careca - what a brilliant player - with him in 1982 we would have brought it home. What about Reinaldo of Atletico Mineiro? Who are the "etcs."?

And then you talk about Ronaldo off field conveniently forgetting Casagrande is a druggie! Rei Dada? Only got in in 1970 because of the president!!

More Skol or Brahma for the John Wayne of RS!!!!

10. Colorado_GAUCHO

Nov 16, 2004
    Porto Alegre-BRASIL
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You obviously don't know that Rei Dada' was just the best striker ever in Brasilian soil.

I know you love Ronaldo, but he's better off retiring now while he was some...

Oh wait a minute, that loser has no dignity for a long time. Married that chick and paid millions for nothing. Banged a dude, showed up for the WC looking like a pig. Washed up striker, he better off playing for Flamengo for a season or two, than he can play for madureira or bangu.

11. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    Remind me how many times Dada played for Brazil? Zagalo, not a bad manager was he, picked him on few occasions and Saldanha did not want to know him.

Re Ronaldo, I do not "love" him but I do admire him and get the feeling the Brazilian public have never appreciated what he has done for the country. Once you keep returning to his off field negatives you are in danger of losing the argument. All I want is for the man to get fit, get a club, score goals and EARN a place in the Selecao. Then we shall see what he has left. He can start on the bench if necessary.

12. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
  13. Colorado_GAUCHO

Nov 16, 2004
    Porto Alegre-BRASIL
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What's that supposed to mean? So one needs to be constantly called for the selecao to measure how good he is? We had Afonso and Wagner Love playing several NT games while guys like Amauri wouldn't even dream of getting a call from CBF. Does that means that he sucks? You really don't understand how the selecao works. Anybody alive in Brasil in the 70's/80's know that Rei Dada' was the bomb. Ohhh I guess that if they didn't called him for the selecao, foreigns wouldn't know who he was. Well I got news for you. It was possible for people like you to know all 1982 squad and think that you know Brasil's futebol scene deeply but you are highly mistaken. The squad can only call 20 some guys so there's plenty more that are great and many times better, players that you foreigns won't hear about.

Appreciate what? He helped win one world cup and totally embarrassed us on another 2, the way I see he's balance is on the negative.

That show how you as a foreign don't care for the future of selecao like we brasilians do. He's a washed up, old fat bastard. His time is for a last chance is gone, it was 2006. We can't have that mentality of keeping a guy forever, otherwise Romario would still be playing for the Selecao. People in Brasil are already thinking of 2010 and 2014. He's too old, we couldn't use him even he scores 25/30 goals a season because he have to use the two years prior to the WC to prepare the guys that are going to the WC. Ronaldo in 2010 will be seating somewhere in Rio drunk as a skunk surrounded by travestis. We need the new blood, we need the renovation. Anybody that says that Ronaldo has to come back to the selecao can't be taking seriously as an analyst of our futebol.

14. Colorado_GAUCHO

Nov 16, 2004
    Porto Alegre-BRASIL
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

What? Are you questioning Rei Dada'?? Are you serious? If so then you are realy ignorant when it comes to Brasilian futebol. Dada is just the third 3rd top scorer in the history of Brasilian football, right behind Pele' and Romario.

[​IMG]

I guess if there was internet back them you would know who Dada' is, life was hard for bandwagoners back then.

15. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    Re Dario, come on..........if he was THAT good then he would have been called more often surely?!! Brazil had 4 to 6 managers during his career and only one appeared to call him!

Re Ronaldo, do not make me laugh - Brazil looking to 2010 and 2014? They can't even build a stadium! Brazilian fans hardly ever see the team play and when they do they slag them off if they are not 3-0 up by the 20th minute!! I bet the players would prefer to play the eliminatorias in Europe. Absolutely ********ing joke that they started cheering Bolivia in September - they did the same v Argentina (yes our greatest rivals for ??!" sake in the Maracana in April 1998). I have a tape of Brazil-Czech March 1982 and they did the same then - cheering the Czechs! And that was meant to be a night of celebration with Jairzinho playing the first 10 minutes as a farewell/appreciation. I ask the queston again - give me a rough idea of your age.

16. Colorado_GAUCHO

Nov 16, 2004
    Porto Alegre-BRASIL
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Good??? You bandwagoners have no clue about Brasil's futebol. Rei Dario was probably the best striker ever in Brasil's history. Pele' was a camisa 10, Romario was awesome at his prime but Dada' Maravilha was a legit striker. Just because cbf didn't called him for the nt, and consequently you didn't you think the guy wasn't good. Don't forget that was Brasilian league of the 70's and early 80's when nobody was going to Europe. All teams have plenty of excelent players, many of them I'm sure you never heard of. I bet that Biro Biro probably was called for selecao once or twice if ever, still the guy was a world class, the kind you never heard about it. We Brasilians know, ask any Brasilian and he will tell you that Rei Dada' was the greatest striker on Brasil's futebol history. If you want to be a bandwagoner on our NT you better educate yourself better about our players.

You are really mistaken, Morumbi, Beira-Rio, Maracana, Mineirao, Engenhao, Arena da Baixada are all there already, there's nothing to be built. You are misinformed. There's some adjustments to be made on some stadiums, but there's no quest to build anymore places. You really don't know much do you?

Ohh are you talking about the primadonas we have on our NT now? The ones that have no respect for the amarelinha? Like Ronaldo and cia?

Nope, our greatest rivals, to you they are just some people, I have fought with them more than once, and there's broken noses, bottles, damaged cars, swollen lips and black eyes that attest to that rivalry. You won't know any of that from your couch overseas. Don't call them your rivals because you are not in the level we real Brasilians are when it comes to that.

17. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Most of us appreciate what he has done overall. Some will be optimisitc and hope that he comes back to form and the Selecao. I am just more realistic. My opinion is that even if he puts in 100% of himself, his body has just taken too much abuse.

Another point is that our midfield is crap. It can't create anything. The last thing we need is a 33 year old striker who doesn't move much.

18. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think the joke is not creating one scoring chance against a 10 man Bolivia who is dead last in WCQ and has given up 20+ goals. The crowd had every right to boo.

19. mak9

mak9 Member

May 21, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    he helped win 2 world cups......

also for the other posters here......ignore this american Colorado_GAUCHO; He doesn't know what he's talking about

20. Colorado_GAUCHO

Nov 16, 2004
    Porto Alegre-BRASIL
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Oh, the coward is back. He was hiding on his hole somewhere and decided to return. What do you know iranian? ronaldo was bench in 94, in 98 he passed out, in 2002 he helped win, and in 2006 he was a total disgrace so get the facts straight. Very much like you foreign that calls yourself "BraZil fan" and yet you don't know anything about our country. You denied the fact and participation of Brasil on WW2, you said that Brasil never fought in a war. Therefore you offended all Brasilians and many like myself and perhaps others here who have family that fought in that war. You are the worst kind of bandwagoner, at least Denilson and the colombian kid try to respect our nation. You want to be a "braZil fan" and yet you don't know us, our history and you talk trash on our people. You are a disgrace. Shut your mouth and get out of here.

21. Mibu Clan

Mibu Clan New Member

Jul 4, 2006
    Bogota
    Believe it or not Colombia too was involved in WW II, even if the involvement was minimal. (We held prisoners of war)
    Colorado_GAUCHO, all I wanted was some sort of acknowledgement that I am atleast a loyal fan to the team.... We may just meet on 2014. for the lulz

Yeah, in 94 Ronaldo never played. He was a sub and had he played would have been the youngest player, at the time, to play in a WC. Didnt happen though....

Even though Brasil fans are critical with that WC, thatb Brasil team had serious talent and played some incredible games... The Netherlands game is on a another level.

22. Colorado_GAUCHO

Nov 16, 2004
    Porto Alegre-BRASIL
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I knew that. Had the war gone for a longer period I knew they were also gearing up to get into the actual as well if needed. This iranians case was different, he mocked the allegation that Brasil fought the germans, saying that was untrue. That's the worst kind of braZilian out there. They want to say that they are fans of our NT and yet they have no connection nor interest in our history our people.

[​IMG]
    german surrender to Brasil in Italy

Well, I'll sure be on all Beira-Rio games and perhaps others, despite the fact that Denilson says we "can't even build stadiums".

Thank God.

It was ugly, but effective.

23. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Alright. Let's calm down a bit. People that aren't from Brasil should feel free to say their opinions about the Selecao (as long as it isn't inflammatory of course). People make a choice to come here, and take time to post their thoughts. And they have a right to have them out there, so let's try to be a bit more receptive and open minded about it.

As for Ronaldo, to me he was one of the greatest strikers to pla ythe game. He's had loads of issues off the field, hwoever that doesn't take away from the fact that he was a fantastic performer for club/country at one point and I'd prefer to remember him in that light.

Having said that, that Ronaldo isn't included with current teams is the fault of Ronaldo (and his injuries). He probably could have had a chance but he got over-weight, didn't watch his diet and succombed to it. The question is if he's willing to do what it takes to get to a level where he may not have to worry as much about injury/weight, and making those lifestyle changes and quite honestly I don't think he is. So I can' tsee him on the team again.

24. Colorado_GAUCHO

Nov 16, 2004
    Porto Alegre-BRASIL
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I have a totally different way to see this case. Even if Ronaldo was in shape and had no injuries he shouldn't be called because the quest for 2010 is already going on. We have to test, try different thing and what not at this time. Eliminatorias and amistosos are for that. We need to find the titulares for 2010, and perhaps the bench in 2010 will have the titulares of 2014. Ronaldo is too old, his time is over. Bring the new blood.

25. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    I do not think I need educating by you on Brazilian players. Your beloved Dada would have featured in a Copa if he was that good - no argument. I am guessing that stories of past players have been told to you by your parents or grandparents. Best forward ever?!! Now I know that your sitting there under the influence of beer!! NEVER have I heard/read ANYONE in the past 20-30 years say that Dario was the best forward ever. He is most famous for inadvertently getting Joao Saldanha the sack by being the military's favourite! Now, if you said Reinaldo of Atletico, Careca for example, I would believe you. Let us play the yes/no game: have YOU ever seen Dario play live in a stadium?!

PS - Dario was in the 1970 squad and did not play a minute. Enough said.

PPS - Next you will saying that if it was not for that Zico getting in the way of the GREAT Serginho would have won the WC in 1982!!

PPS - We say Brazil with a 'z' because we write in English!!