NZ v Saudi Arabia DVD/Video

Discussion in 'Saudi Arabia' started by bolton4ever, Jul 12, 2007.

1. bolton4ever

bolton4ever Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Hi, does anybody have coverage of the two World Cup qualifying matches between these two in 1981? Cheers.

2. MROCCAN

MROCCAN New Member

May 25, 2007
    Fez/Morocco
    1981 is too far
    I don't think there is

3. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    I think Majed Abdullah scored a really beautiful goal in one of the games. I never had the match, but I had one of Majed Abdullah's goals compilation, and it had the goal in there.

4. Fabaraby

Fabaraby Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Edge of Unaykish
    Club:
    Al Ahli Jeddah
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Ah, I remember that game, I think it ended 5-1 for Saudi, Majed Abdullah indeed scored a classic goal, dancing away 4-5 defenders.

I hope someone posts some clips here, but if not, I will be back in Saudi in september and am sure I can get the entire game on video and edit/post some clips.

5. adelo

adelo Member

May 9, 2007
    Mother of Pigeons
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh

Actually we tied them 2-2 in NZ. We played well in that match and deserved better, but we lost both games home and away to Kuwait and China, so the match against NZ in Riyadh was meaningless for us.

The final stage of the WCQ for Asia was a group of four, which Kuwait ended up on top. The second spot was to be contested between NZ and China. NZ needed to beat us by a margin of more than 5 goals to reach the WC ahead of China. Anything else would mean china qualifies. Strangely:eek: the match ended exactly 5-0 for NZ all scored in the 1st half. That meant that a playoff match was necessary between NZ and China.

6. Saudi64

Saudi64 Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Riyadh KSA
    Club:
    Al Shabab Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    So we cheated for our brothers New Zealand. :D

7. adelo

adelo Member

May 9, 2007
    Mother of Pigeons
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Actually it was pretty fishy, but that was 26 years ago. NZ wasn't the kind of team that can score 5 goals. they did however defeat china in the playoff match, so I guess they deserved to qualify.

8. Fabaraby

Fabaraby Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Edge of Unaykish
    Club:
    Al Ahli Jeddah
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Hmm. We could be talking about different games. I think the game where Majed scored "that" goal ended with 5 goals for us, and I'm pretty sure it was played in NZ, although I'm not sure if it was official or a friendly, I was pretty young then :eek:

9. Saudi64

Saudi64 Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Riyadh KSA
    Club:
    Al Shabab Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    28.11.1981 New Zealand 2 - 2 Saudi Arabia
    30.11.1981 Kuwait 1 - 0 China
    07.12.1981 Kuwait 2 - 0 Saudi Arabia
    14.12.1981 Kuwait 2 - 2 New Zealand
    19.12.1981 Saudi Arabia 0 - 5 New Zealand

TEAM P W D L F A GD PTS
    1 * KUWAIT 6 4 1 1 8 6 +2 9
    2 - New Zealand 6 2 3 1 11 6 +5 7
    3 - China 6 3 1 2 9 4 +5 7
    4 Saudi Arabia 6 0 1 5 4 16 -12 1

Weird, we tied in NZ, but lost 5-0 in Saudi Arabia.

http://www.phespirit.info/worldcup/wcq1982e.htm

10. Fabaraby

Fabaraby Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Edge of Unaykish
    Club:
    Al Ahli Jeddah
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    ^^^Thanks, Saudi64.

I guess I had my 5's mixed-up :(

11. bolton4ever

bolton4ever Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Hey mate,
    If you do get copies of the matches that would be great!! Would you be able to send copies my way? Ill pay obviously. Any matches from that series would be fantastic to get my hands on!!

About Saudi throwing the game Im not so sure... why would they conceed all 5 in the first half?? Apparently Saudi hit the bar in 2nd half which would have ended the dream for NZ had it gone in.

However the referee was paid off by Kuwait for their match in NZ... dodgy penalties... keeper saved first one so he gave another 5 mins later!!

12. Fabaraby

Fabaraby Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Edge of Unaykish
    Club:
    Al Ahli Jeddah
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Gladly!

What matches do you want exactly?

There's this video store in my 'hood that keeps an archive of all Saudi games on VHS. Its been years since I've been there so I'm not sure of the quality, but I'm sure I can get my hands on them, plus I also have a large old collection in my dusty storage room in Jeddah :p

I wish we had a wiki-youtube style website archiving every single Saudi league/NT games and goals ever recorded, but we don't, so if anyone wants to start a project of that nature, please let me know!

13. bolton4ever

bolton4ever Member

Jan 15, 2006
    That's awesome! I am trying to locate old New Zealand games... even our national broadcaster does not store them... useless!!

So, the two NZ v Saudi games from that qualifying series would be great thanks!!

14. sahbekham_pactwinner

Jun 12, 2005
    LOL. i WASN'T EVEN BORN BACK THEN.

15. bolton4ever

bolton4ever Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Hello again,

Just wondering if you had any luck trying to track down the Saudi/NZ matches? Cheers.