NYCFC Youth Affiliates

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by soccershins, May 5, 2014.

1. soccershins

soccershins Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Club:
    FC Porto
    MLS Expansion team NYCFC has announced the youth clubs that they will be affiliating with:

MetOval
    Blau-Weiss Gottschee
    Downtown United Soccer Club
    Manhattan Soccer Club
    New York Soccer Club
    South Bronx United
    Staten Island United
    World Class FC

For anyone with knowledge of NY area soccer, are these good picks for the team to bring in the best talent? Surprised to see no Long Island teams represented on this list.

Link: NYCFC Youth

2. mckersive

mckersive Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    New York City
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My understanding is that NYCFC will bring more clubs into this affiliate program in the future. Most of these clubs have a USSF DA team (Gotschee has both age groups) or have plans to merge with a DA. NJ may be left alone for RBNY. LI for Cosmos?

3. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #3 nicklaino, May 5, 2014
    Last edited: May 5, 2014
    BW Gottschee long history here in NYC. Coached against them, played against them and my son played with them for a few seasons. They know how to train players for success.

Who is MetOval that is a field not a club. It is the Mecca of soccer here in NYC, but it is not a club. That was Gottschee's home field.

The rest are who the hell knows?

The top club in Staten Island was always Silver Lake.

Who is staten island United. Who are they how they become a club stole kids from other clubs and call themselves Staten Island United what history do they have?

Manhattan soccer club never were any good.

When did the other clubs start 2 years ago?

Brooklyn Italians would have been a great club. They had a history of success at adult and youth level. But now that's gone and the reason why that's gone is Lucio the head of their club. When he assisted on youth teams he tried to get the players on his team to take private lesson from him for money. On the team he was coaching totally unethical. But he was a good trainer of players I will give him that.

The oldest club in NYC is Sporting Club Gjoa in Brooklyn. It been around for close to a century. They have a history. At one time their past players were there coaches. I don't know if that is true any more.

4. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    SC Gjoa has a soccer fest at dyker beach park in Brooklyn on May 10 from 9am to 6 pm it might be fun. There will be soccer matches and soccer based games and activities.

Sounds like a fun day I might even check it out