NYCFC Stadium News (Or Lack Thereof)

Discussion in 'New York City FC' started by sozopol, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like the development of Waterfront area is being signed, sealed and delivered. That still leaves the industrial business zone.

[​IMG]

NYCEDC New York City. Make it Here.
    Home
    / Opportunities / Real Estate Development & Procurement

Awarded Construction Contracts and Bid Results

Project Name Project Description
    Construction Management- Waterfront Properties
    Contract Numbers: 2396003, 23960004, 23960006
    Development, rehabilitation, replacement, and construction of waterfront properties. Also, installation, rehabilitation, and demolition of roads, parking areas, underground utilities, bridges, railroads, and other typical infrastructure assets.

[​IMG]

2. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    excuse my ignorance but what does this have to do with New York City FC Stadium?

3. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because that's close to or at one of the locations people have been discussing.

4. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Where's the fun in being owned by sheiks AND Chinese capital if you can't build a stadium at Pier 40?

Has de Blasio had a chance to sink that idea, or was he not yet the mayor?

5. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't they own the old Freshdirect headquarters that's near newtown creek rails? They could build around that area

6. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pier 40 was a non-starter. Too many hurdles to jump through.

I think they may. That's why I thought this was relevant.

7. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    They made a lot of fancy drawings for a non-starter. Seems like a fair amount of man hours and weeks and months got twisted up in that vision.

The premise of the club was "We're going to build a home stadium IN New York City." Can't tell me they didn't foresee a mind-boggling number of hurdles.

8. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bloomberg paid Fresh Direct $120 million to move the the Bronx.

9. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Are you trying to assert that their front office deserves our implicit trust?

10. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Who is "they"?

Who is "our"?

kenntomasch repped this.
  11. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    I think vagueness works just fine here, but,

There's a slew of these renderings. Do you know which firm produced them? I believe MLS initiated the Pier 40 discussion and probably commissioned the renderings.

But City Football Group and MLS have jointly trumpeted that NYCFC's stadium would be in NYC proper. So "they" knew there would be an incredible number of hurdles to build a stadium in NY. Unless you think they are truly moronic.

12. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just don't think the ownership is in much of a rush to get it done, honestly. Fan reception has been pretty positive towards Yankee Stadium and it's obviously not hurting ticket sales. So if they have to wait for wherever their ideal location is, they will.

13. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Pretty sure that was MLS that did that - and as far as I can tell, CFG is serious about doing something in NYC proper so not totally sure what the point is?

14. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are the Yankees OK with having soccer played on their field indefinitely?

15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I cannot imagine they will be (though at least the club is drawing 25k or whatever it is and not 11k) indefinitely.

This feels like an arranged marriage that they'll be trying to get out of as soon as they can reasonably do so, but that's just a guess.

16. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's just the best they can do till the team can figure out a stadium solution. I can't imagine that the Yankees would be open to having there for any extended period of time. People need to remember that in NYC you get stadium deals done in private, not through the media so you're not going to hear anything till its a done deal. The Jets failed to remember that and it cost them.

17. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Yankees that matter, aka the Boss' kids, are happy to have NYCFC at the big house and are in no rush to let them go. Girardi and the boys may not be happy about it, but the reality is that they don't matter right now. Until players start getting injured as a direct result of soccer, which I simply don't see happening, and free agents are reluctant to sign with the Yankees, the owners are happy with the arrangement. As long as attendance is good and they are not missing out on more lucrative events.

18. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I see that logic, I think the team (NYCFC) is coming to realize that its not an ideal arrangement (field is too small and that "infield" grass zone is hazardous) , and are more interested in having a home to call there own then having to play at YS. This team is in part a vanity project for CFG and I get the impression that this team isn't "complete" till they get there own place.

19. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New York City FC is helping build new fields for kids around the city, but they’re not any closer to finding a spot for one of their own.

According to team president Jon Patricof, there hasn’t been much progress made in securing a site to construct a soccer-specific stadium for the second-year MLS club, which plays its home games at Yankee Stadium.

“There’s no new news on the stadium,” Patricof said. “We’re working really hard on it. We’re extremely committed to finding a home in the five boroughs. We’re only gonna get to choose a stadium site once, so it has to be right. So we’re working really hard to find the right site.”

Sporting director Claudio Reyna said “positive inroads” have been made toward finding a site but provided no other update. He added that the sporting side — the players, coaches and front office — haven’t spent much time thinking about a new stadium and that they’re happy with their current home.

“It’s not something we really think about,” Reyna said. “Sometimes I take a step back and, again, it’s one of those things I dream about and can’t wait and look forward to having our own stadium, but we gotta worry about the next game. So we don’t talk about it.”
    Patricof, who took his post on March 1, admitted the process has been difficult, but that the club is “in it for the long term.

“I’m hopeful, but with New York City real estate, the reality is there’s a lot of things that all have to come together for it to work,” he added.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/s...ts-not-progress-new-stadium-article-1.2708515

20. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Sounds like they've given up.

22. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they average around 27k or 30k why not stay put . At same token they're giving up too revenue to the Yankees from concession stands, parking and merchandise sales, unless since the Yankees own 30% of the team may be they get to keep all the above perks.

23. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    They've definitely not given up.
    It's not a long term solution for anyone.

24. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But of course not.

25. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Weird because it sounded like you were suggesting otherwise.