PBP: NWSL Week 20 Discussion

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Semblance17, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #26 Gilmoy, Aug 11, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    48' 0-1 Rapinoe left ck. Fishlock runs leftward from 6-left, LaBonta chases, Rapinoe taps a short ground pass to 3m box left. Fishlock backpasses to Rapinoe at 14m wide left, LaBonta chases. One-touch cross toward 6-top right, headed away by Corsie -- meanwhile, LaBonta marks Rapinoe, nobody has Fishlock. Oyster collects at 25m wide right, touches to 17m. Long and J.Taylor are tied up 2-v-2 at spot, Fishlock lurks unmarked at 11.1m 6-left. As Oyster crosses, Long has leaned her head past Corsie's right-arm wrap-around haul-back -- yet Fishlock is still behind Corsie's feet. Oyster's cross goes to 5m left post, Fishlock jump-twists and drills a header into 1/5 left back high.

Long('s head) was passively in an offside position, but only because Corsie was leaning her whole body away from goal to pull Long back :D

The brilliance of that entire sequence is that Fishlock pulls LaBonta with her to the left, LaBonta chases the ball past own box top and stays up there -- and then Fishlock is alone in the box. Woops!

CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not really. I'm just looking at the score from time to time.

And, crossing fingers, so far so good.

3. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Call me biased because of the Duke ties, but Moros mocking Rapinoe's diving is the highlight of the season so far.

4. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Wow, a whole 9 minutes of extra-time: I didn't watch the game, what had happened to justify it? Anyway, Seattle survive through it and I guess this win is very important to cement their play-off spot by cutting Utah away from contention...

5. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    93+4' (of +8') 0-1 Sauerbrunn serve from midfield box right to 23m center over Stengel not jumping. Oyster jumps and back-heads across, but directly to Press at box top mid-left. Press touches to 10m 7-left, slips as she plants, slices left foot shot wide left past side netting.

FT 0-1. A gut punch for Utah, as they're still 1 point out of T-4th, with only 3 matches left. The T-4th teams, Portland and Chicago, both have 2 games in hand on them. Still, win out and come what may.

Extra extra time for the added stoppages, due to the bad air.

blissett repped this.
  6. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    07' 0-1 Ohai faces off 1-v-1 on Gibbons at 40m wide left, outpaces her down left touch on a dump-and-outrun, bends past her to 4m box left. Daly starts out loping up centerline behind LB Frisbie, jogs with her to spot -- then peels off and front-cuts Skroski through 6m left post, and neither react in time. Ohai crosses to 5m 2-left, Daly slide-volleys a perfect riser past Sheridan's face, into center back high.

28' 0-1 Comeau passes from circle top wide right down box right, Latsko runs on just behind Frisbie -- meanwhile, Daly has a 4m lead on Gibbons through arc top left, staying onside behind Skroski. Latsko catches up at 4m just inside box right, one-touch cross to 6-top left post. Daly jumps straight up and heads down to goalline 1/6 left, Sheridan dives back and scoops ball to a stop 0.95 diameters over goalline (or more), keeps it out. No goal given. Replay shows a clear gap between the ball and the back edge of the goalline, but we cannot tell whether the front-most point of the ball was still above some part of the goalline. (This pbp guy doesn't seem to understand the geometry of spheres; a gap by itself is not conclusive.)

36' 0-1 Sky Blue subs in (1 of 3) #13 Rebekah Stott for #31 Christina Gibbons.

HT 0-1.

8. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Combination of heat, altitude, and smoke from nearby wildfires caused the league to mandate two hydration breaks per half.

10. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ORL-POR]
    17' 0-0 Kennedy muffs a backpass try, right into Raso's stride through box top left. Raso follows to 3m 8-left, shoots left instep behind Harris out at 3m 5-left, off left post, it bounces across to 6-top right and Orlando clears.

36' 0-0 Raso receives on the run at 27m right touch, dribbles to 13m wide right, chips a cross toward Heath down 6-left. Ball drifts, becomes a shross -- off crossbar 1/5 left, bounces out past Heath, she spins and heel-flicks at ball but can't control it, Orlando clears.

11. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [NJ-HOU]
    65' 1-1 Freeman outlets to Stott at circle back right touch. Dorsey lurks just past midfield right touch, LB Chapman is that high up to press close on her back. Stott passes outside-in to K.Johnson at circle top box right, LCB Polkinghorne steps up to her -- but K.Johnson rounds her, goes up mid-right, already in a race with Chapman trying to recover. Rodriguez sees this developing, runs inside-out to box top mid-right, Motlhalo follows but lets her go and turns to stop K.Johnson.

Meanwhile, Tiernan leads Comeau through box top mid-left, Rodriguez lurks at box top mid-right, held onside by ... Comeau. Comeau points back at McCaskill driving up centerline, but Brooks already turned facing K.Johnson to her left, peeking at Rodriguez and stepping way up to bag her offside -- not knowing that Comeau is way behind everybody else.

K.Johnson flicks right outstep down mid-right, Rodriguez leads Chapman to 4m, nobody has McCaskill wide-open up centerline -- she even stops on box top line, then resumes her trot to spot. Rodriguez backpass to 8m right post, McCaskill shoots one-touch right instep, Campbell topples centerward and kick-saves to 6-top 1/3 left. Tiernan is standing thereat, kicks it into 1/4 left back low past Campbell still down. Tiernan created that goal three ways: her hard run on the left bent Houston's back line, sprang both Rodriguez and McCaskill, and then she finished.

CoachJon repped this.
  12. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #37 Gilmoy, Aug 11, 2018
    73' 1-1 Hanson feeds Daly at 15m mid-right, one-touch left instep cross hits R.Rodriguez's left ribs-and-bicep with arm away from body at 12m 6-right. Handball, pk.

73' 1-2 Daly pk, right foottop pull into back left high (Sheridan dove wrong)

Both teams have found some offense: NJ 13(6)-(10)20 HOU shots. 20 shots!

FT 1-2.

CoachJon repped this.
  13. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #38 Gilmoy, Aug 11, 2018
    [ORL-POR]
    47' 0-1 Heath left ck, backpass to Klingenberg, one-touch tap back to Heath at 13m wide left. Heath crosses low to 5m left post, Crnogorčević dummies a sole-flick and either micro-deflects it, or misses completely, fooling everybody. Ball bounces across Harris frozen, to 0.5m 1/3 right. Horan lunges just past Kennedy on the outside, kicks ball into 1/3 left back high, then topples onto Kennedy's back as both sprawl into rear netting.

53' 0-2 Sinclair heads ball at circle top left, to Crnogorčević, one-touch header square right to Raso at 35m arc left. Pressley steps up, but Raso uses a step-and-left-knee sweep to round her. Kennedy is momentarily wrong-footed, loses the sprint-start duel vs. Raso through arc top to 16m center. Raso shoots right instep inside-out, past Harris's left hand, into back right low.

FT 0-2.

14. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #39 Semblance17, Aug 11, 2018
    It seems she's taking a red eye to NJ as we speak. As it happened, while dining at the hotel bar a half an hour ago I happened to see none other than Ms. Heath herself strolling casually out of the lobby behind me, a rolling suitcase behind her. I managed to compliment her on her performance in tonight's game as she passed.

15. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I had thought about the same while listening for him, but the way you express it is priceless and your posts are always great! :giggle:

16. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, great choice of an hotel apparently! :) For sure, way better than the one I had to settle with in Brittany for U-20 WWC: no risk of meeting any players there! :laugh:

Semblance17 and CoachJon repped this.
  17. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #42 blissett, Aug 12, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Could have been the highlights of the season, but they decided not to include this moment in actual highlights of the game! :laugh: Can someone tell me at which minute happened, so I can find it in the full-match video?

Beau Dure repped this.
  18. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't remember who was the guy who, about a month ago, had said that Houston and Portland were basically out of contention for play-offs, and I had answered that I could have agreed for Houston, but Portland looked like they were fully in the run for it. Well, I guess now they've clearly their hands on one of those slots, while Orlando is in a world of trouble. ;)

19. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's near the end. The commentators apparently could hear Coach Harvey calling out, "Don't foul or she'll go down."

20. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #45 Smallchief, Aug 12, 2018
    I also thought it was great. Why did Moros get a yellow card? Mocking the referee? Rapinoe has a sense of humor. She probably hid a smile at Moros' antics. .

21. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #46 Smallchief, Aug 12, 2018
    A few random comments:

Sky Blue has played well enough to have won two or three games.

I thought Comeau had a strong game at right back. She's becoming a real asset for Houston. Huerta also looked better at the 10 position than I've seen her previously. Conventional wisdom is that she was traded to Houston so she could play right back, the position she is trying to win on the National Team. I think she was probably told that she wasn't going to be on the National Team so she happily accepted the job of attacking midfielder.

Rachel Daly is a wonder. In my opinion, she's in the running for MVP -- and her chances would have been enhanced if that apparent goal she scored hadn't been disallowed.

Orlando is in trouble. To make the playoffs they will probably have to win all three of their upcoming games and two of them are with NC and Chicago.

blissett repped this.
  22. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #47 CoachJon, Aug 12, 2018
    My first purpose for logging in this morning was to make that very same point! Kudos!
    I did a desktop measurement. On a hard surface, there could be about 6 cm "daylight" (2.4 inches) between the bottom of the ball and the back of the goal line, and the whole ball would still not be over the whole line. The number would be less on a "fuzzy" surface.
    OTOH, my guesstimate based on the replay was, that indeed, the whole ball was over the whole line. Daly should have the hat trick!

P. S. @Gilmoy 's 0.95 diameters (=21 cm +/-) would be more than enough =>Goal!

blissett and Smallchief repped this.
  23. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Perhaps to avoid the need for mathematics, the rule could be changed to say that a grassy, visible gap between the goal line and the ball will be considered a goal.

24. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Why avoiding mathematics? This world needs more people who understand it well! :)

CoachJon repped this.
  25. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yay Math! Under previous laws, the ball had to travel its circumference at minumum on a free kick, before another player could touch it. I always thought the law should have been Diameter, because most people can easily envision diameter, but not circumference. Changes in the laws made my point moot, now all the ball needs to do is wiggle..........

blissett repped this.