News: NWSL general news and info

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Blaze20, Sep 14, 2016.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The trivia nerd in me always loves the "free kicks" section on weekly EQZ "League Lowdown" articles; here are some of this week's kicks:
    https://equalizersoccer.com/2019/04/16/the-lowdown-ashlyn-harris-turns-up-the-heat-in-week-1/

McSkillz and blissett repped this.
  2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  3. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I know the Red Stars fan base is growing. At the Season Ticket Holder event last Sunday when they did the jersey unveiling, I saw people I've never seen before.

Let's see how many people stay after the Fire game this Saturday to watch the Red Stars.

CoachJon and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It's a joke, son.

5. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #1105 MRAD12, Apr 17, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Reign Man and Blaze20 repped this.
  6. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
  7. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Way to go Chicago.
    I hear Chicago's next move is to split off from Illinois and form their own state.

8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Somewhat random, but because I'm a numbers nerd, I look for things like this:
    According to 538's soccer stats, as of this week, Sky Blue is no longer the weakest team in the league by SPI. That inglorious title now belongs to Orlando.
    (Also, Utah has surpassed Seattle for the 4th-best SPI; both SPI changes are reflected in the corresponding updates to the projected playoff probabilities.)
    https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/nwsl/

McSkillz and blissett repped this.
  9. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Estelle Johnson (Sky Blue) has been named to the Cameroon WNT for the WC.
    Congratulations to Estelle!​

Wikipedia: "Born to a Cameroonian father, Johnson was contacted in 2018 by the Indomitable Lionesses head coach Joseph Ndoko about her interest in representing Cameroon. She was named to the Indomitable Lionesses' squad on May 1st, 2019."

It appears Cameroon may have no warmup games until meeting Canda on June 10.​

Johnson previously played for the Western New York Flash, the Philadelphia Independence, Sydney FC of Australia's W-League and Washington Spirit in the NWSL.

Reign Man and holden repped this.
  10. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    That's great for Estelle! Not so great for SBFC, though.

SiberianThunderT and CoachJon repped this.
  11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    That's not the final roster. She not officially going to France.

That the "final 26"

12. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I mentioned this in the Expansion forum, but just so it's not buried (and it's a bigger issue underlying an expansion example) I'll restate it here:

One of the several reasons Barca-to-NWSL seems to be dead is that Barca is a Nike club. "But NWSL is Nike too!" you say, right? Well, NWSL's Nike deal apparently ends this year, and Barca wanted a guarantee/exception that they could equip their potential NWSL squad in Nike gear even if the league overall went to a different supplier.

USSF's Nike deal doesn't end until 2021. (2022? I'm not entirely sure, but either way...) That means that there's the apparently distinct possibility that NWSL breaks from USSF after this year. :eek:

I know a split has been discussed before, but that fact that there's sponsor/supplier discussions attached to it now, to me, gives some solid, monetary evidence to the possibility.

CoachJon repped this.
  13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Random sad note I found while looking at lower-division stuff:
    It seems that the Western New York Flash are officially done. IDK if they're still fielding youth teams, but they won't be participating in UWS (or WPSL) this summer. =-(

CoachJon and holden repped this.
  14. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, that report concerning Nike vis-a-vis Barca has actually caused the league to act swiftly for once: just today EQZ learned from NWSL that they (apparently several months ago??) extended their deal with Nike to also last through 2022, thus matching the extent of the USSF Nike deal.

holden repped this.
  15. Tapas&Fútbol

Tapas&Fútbol Member

Real Betis
    Spain
    Apr 11, 2019
    Seville (Spain)
    In case you’re interested, Cameroon and Spain will have a friendly game next Friday.

CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    So, there's a new "challenge" going around on Twitter... Starting with the USWNT players showing off their juggling skills and spreading to whoever they can get (I've seen NWSL coaches and MLS players tagged as the "your turn" tags).

Apparently Hulu has agreed to donate $1 for every post of this #HuluHasLiveSports challenge to the NWSLPA, up to $100k.

Understandably, everyone is now asking if Hulu might be a future NWSL broadcast partner.

17. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really sure where to put this, but its helpful information that was mentioned on the Mixxed Zone podcast. There's another website out there tracking woso stats, both club (including NWSL) and country: FBref.com

They're slowly building the site, and it doesn't include all leagues or all past years, but I've had fun playing around on it the last couple of days.

18. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1118 CoachJon, Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    It was a privilege to live close enough to the WNY Flash to be able to attend as many games as I could and see the team during pre-season as well. Many non-US players in this year’s World Cup spent time with the Flash. Using Jen Cooper’s NWSL Almanac (and Wikipedia for WPS), here is a list with the number of games each player played with the Flash:

Australia.….....… Sam Kerr (41), Lydia Williams (14)

Brazil…….......…….Marta (14)

Cameroon…....….Ajara Nchout (7), Estelle Johnson (25)

Canada…….....……Christine Sinclair (15), Sabrina D’Angelo (9), Adriana Leon (10)

New Zealand…....Ali Riley (16), Emma Kete (3), Abby Erceg (19)

Nigeria………...…..Halimatu Ayinde (9)

Spain……......…….Vicky Losada (23)

Sweden…….....….Caroline Seger (13)

MiLLeNNiuM and blissett repped this.
  19. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Trade:

NCC->SBFC Liz Eddy
    SBFC->NCC McKenzie Meehan

Sounds like Liz Eddy, finally healthy after two years of injuries, is looking for playing time and Paul Riley, as he's done before (see: Alanna Kennedy and Makenzy Doniak) looks to find a better situation for the player instead of keeping them in reserve.

CoachJon repped this.
  20. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zerboni may be the heart of the team, but I think Eddy is the soul. She will be missed deeply I think. But if she can get more playing time and this trade is something she wanted, then good for her and Best of Luck!

21. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Courage release:

MiLLeNNiuM and CoachJon repped this.
  22. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Funny that SBFC was the team that originally drafted Eddy. And they are now tied with NCC for most former Pali Blues. ;)

CoachJon repped this.
  23. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1123 CoachJon, Jun 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    P.S. I forgot,
    Australia’s Emily Van Egmond played 14 games for the 2012 WNY Flash in the WPSL Elite.

.......2010-2016.......what a team we had..........

holden and blissett repped this.
  24. William49

William49 Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Chicagoland
    Reign Man, 59Amerinorsk and blissett repped this.
  25. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And apparently Denise Reddy just got fired:

CoachJon and blissett repped this.