News: NWSL general news and info

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Blaze20, Sep 14, 2016.

1. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So the next news should be Allocation List and Game Schedule.
    Is that going to take another month or so?

2. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    not sure.

but allocation list may be shorter, and red stars may actually have to pay davidson (at least until ussoccer has to offer her a contract later in the year).

3. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Red Stars right now have Ertz, Naeher, Short as Allocated players. Brian is being payed by the Red Stars from my understanding. I wonder if any of this will change. Will Short be dropped as Allocated? She hasn't played much for the USWNT lately.

4. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
  5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Eeeehhhh they need to be careful about the "first in NWSL kind of deal" talk. IIRC, both Portland and Houston had, at one time, local TV deals that sounded a lot like this.

Also, I can't say I've ever heard of Monumental Sports Network before. Seems like it's an online-only platform that shows both live games for smaller-impact teams like the Mystics and Valor as well as original content for those teams and the Wizards and Capitals. More summer content for MonSN is probably good for them if they're heavy on fall-to-sping sports so far (AFL, NBA, NHL, high school stuff). So IDK how big of a deal the MonSN part of the agreement is, (it costs $7/month if you're cool missing out on VIP events and discounts on merchandise,) but an association with NBC Sports Washington (previously CSN Mid-Atlantic) should be a nice boon for the Spirit in terms of legitimacy and reach.

William49 repped this.
  6. William49

William49 Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Chicagoland
    Monumental's parent company owns all of the sports franchises that you listed. They're also deep into facilities management. In the world of professional sports, Monumental is a major player.

sitruc and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  7. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Schedule, please!

Fanaddict repped this.
  8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

Asking our resident Thorns posters @cpthomas & @Cliveworshipper : do you know of the Aaron guy, and do you trust what he says about Golub & Timbers Talk/did you hear the Talk yourself?

Heeligan2 repped this.
  9. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If it's in next few days than I'm assuming Monday.

10. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #1010 Cliveworshipper, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    Don’t think I know Aaron ( some people I only know by face), but you can hear the latest talk Timbers podcast yourself here:

https://www.timbers.com/post/2019/0...n-plus-preseason-costa-rica-discussion-latest

The schedule comment is just before the 25:00 mark.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  11. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just listened to part of yesterday's interview with Golub, and he said that the Timbers and Thorns schedules should come out in the next few days. This is especially important here in Portland, since Providence Park expansion is underway and both teams will have to spend the first part of their seasons on the road.

The other thing I think I heard was that, with the expansion, the Thorns will make a major effort, for at least one game, to set the all time NWSL attendance record, which Orlando currently holds. If they can sell out, which wouldn't surprise me at all, it will be around 25,000.

CoachJon, holden and Salvadanish repped this.
  12. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Nice. Merlo.

I love that place.

13. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me too. Merlo Field, for women's college soccer, is about as close as you can come to hallowed ground. It's simply a beautiful field and setting for soccer. Pick it up and put it at any other school and it would be the same.

14. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gov. Murphy’s troubled soccer team Sky Blue has a new sheriff ... and it’s a surprise'
    https://www.nj.com/sports/2019/02/g...er-team-has-a-new-sheriff-the-first-lady.html

"Sky Blue, the struggling women’s professional soccer team owned by Gov. Murphy, announced on Tuesday that first lady Tammy Murphy would “take an active role in club activities” as the team promised major improvements to player housing and training facilities."

https://skybluefc.com/2019/02/12/announcement-on-behalf-of-sky-blue-ownership/

blissett repped this.
  15. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    What's holding up the 2019 schedule?

16. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I cannot believe that with two weeks until pre-season training for NWSL teams starts, news about the league has gone silent. Even the usual women's soccer news pundits don't have much to say on their Twitters or blogs. The only news available is about those who do not want to play in the league. No schedule yet.
    What's holding up the schedule??

How can a league expect to get and sustain fans when there is very little news coming from the league to wet their appetite?

So disappointing.

17. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    They probably don't want to build it up since they know how badly the streaming the first weekend of games is gonna go... They'll probably announce the schedule week 3 after they've worked out all the bugs. (This is satire, just in case anyone things I'm being serious)

18. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sky Blue News - sort of

1096189074044530688 is not a valid tweet id

19. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ........huh

Blaze20, McSkillz and CoachJon repped this.
  20. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SO Christy and Christie eh?

21. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    glad when people find happiness...

... tho, this, for me, was when the team started going south.

22. Tracer

Tracer Member

Apr 22, 2016
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, it is hard to find good news about the NWSL...

From the Oregonlive.com story today:
    upload_2019-2-20_16-6-58.png

23. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    a few days is now two weeks and counting. Maybe by March 1?

24. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Interesting to note that apparently the NWSL has bought out A&E's equity stake as well. But the Lifetime shirt sponsorship will remain. I wish they would pull out of their agreement with Verizon as well. Just put all the games on ESPN+ and be done with it.

I think the post above yours explains the reason for the delay. And it'll probably be delayed further until they either have an agreement with a new broadcaster for the season or decide to go ahead without one.