News: NWSL general news and info

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Blaze20, Sep 14, 2016.

1. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    After reading that, I completly agree with PSRA statement that the appeal should have been rejected and that the 2 games suspension should have stayed. :devilish:

This is another sign of the direction world is taking these days. :unsure:

2. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    other than paulson calling up the front office, what specifically could portland have argued that got the 2nd game rescinded?

i need to know to dial down my suspicion.

blissett and kernel_thai repped this.
  3. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    love this fifa trend.

but tofn has already been scheduled, and, for me at least, wnt continued build up to the wc takes precedence.

4. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Question is how deep does it go? Mewis, Dahlkemper and Dunn r definites as is Debinha for Brazil. Williams on the other hand didn't even make a roster for Mexico so maybe she is better off playing matches than watching them.

5. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There must be something about professional soccer coaches expressing dissent by having something in their hand when shaking hands with an official or opposing coach. I remember a couple of years ago, an opposing coach had a tissue paper in his hand when shaking hands with the Timbers' Caleb Porter (apparently as a way of dissing Porter for complaining to the refs during the course of the game).

Seems sort of dumb to me, but then making a massive deal of it seems dumb, too. My guess is that this gets compared to other things for which coaches have been disciplined and matched better with the final NWSL decision than with the initial penalty.

And, it looked to me like the ref did miss a clear PK call that would have put the Thorns in a position to tie the game. What penalty got imposed on the ref?

Cliveworshipper repped this.
  6. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #731 blissett, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    You are free to dissent from a ref, but this shouldn't allow you to disrespect him in such a childish manner.

But frankly I don't want to start a dispute about that. I only want to say that people who are in charge for some particular delicate functions involving judging other people should be respected in any circumstance, even when disagreeing with them, or should I say especially when disagreeing with them, or their role is completely undermined. If, by the rules, ref has the last word, then he has the last word: there are no "if"s or "but"s: you can politely discuss his decisions, but you have to accept them and to respect them. Or his "social" role has no meaning whatsoever.
    Only extreme circumstances when it's obvious beyond any reasonable doubt that he's corrupt should be exceptions to that.

As a teacher, I will always listen to a student who somehow wants to question my grading and I'll freely discuss that with him. But I'll never accept that he does that by claiming to be on a parity level with me, because my role is anyway different. And for sure, should a student sarcastically shake my hand while holding a clump of dirt I would feel deeply offended. And rightfully so, I'd say. I dare to say that a physical attack would probably hurt me less.

7. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right, although in today's world there are people in much more important positions than mere soccer coaches who are doing a lot to undermine what you are advocating for.:( Maybe that makes this particular case more significant.

blissett repped this.
  8. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I can hear you.

Thus my initial, if maybe a little dramatical, claim that this was a sign of the direction the world is taking these days. I hope I now clarified what my thought-process was.

9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think the distinction to be made between a ref missing a call badly and a coach doing something like screwing with the post-game handshake is that the former is a mistake made under high pressure while the latter is just being intentionally rude (and premeditated). Both can be called "unprofessional", but they're very different types of "unprofessional" - being amateur-ish versus being petty. It's not right to equate the two.

...I saw far too many Portland fans on Twitter the other day blowing right past that distinction when they were responding to the refs union's statement. It was cringe-y.

MiLLeNNiuM and blissett repped this.
  10. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I read some of those Tweets too, and that probably contributed to my over-reaction to the post written here by @cpthomas, that was anyway way (miles away) more civil than those.
    I totally agree that those Tweets were cringe-worthy.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  11. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL!
    The ref should be lucky it was only dirt and not...

[​IMG]
    FYI - turd in pool from Caddy Shack.

12. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Parsons should have probably just avoided the handshakes all together, if he was feeling vexed.

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Missing a PK call is in no way, shape, or form - unprofessional. Just sayin'

SiberianThunderT, lil_one and blissett repped this.
  14. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, but it may be incompetent. Unprofessional and incompetent each is its own, but different, problem.

SiberianThunderT and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    But trying to compare an unprofessional act (putting dirt on your hand prior to shaking hands) to a mistake (missing a call or making the wrong call) is a terrible reach. They are not the least bit comparable.

Your post I was replying to was akin to trying to conflate cheating on a test to failing a test.

Two completely different things.

And to be honest the PRO referees are professionally assessed every time they take the field. Just because they don't come out and publish the reviews and you may not personally every know, there are consequences for mistakes.

blissett repped this.
  16. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My very point was that they aren't comparable, they're quite different.

17. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #742 Cliveworshipper, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    They could have argued that the grounds for suspension or penalty Arent in any rule book....

Or that the referee wrote a reason that was demonstrably not true...

Now you tell .us why the the league agreed, I mean other than the protest came from the Emperor of the Death Star.

18. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    In other minor news, that rumored Aug25 WAS-POR game being at Audi Field is now confirmed, though exact time is still TBD. Here's hoping the Spirit's season is going well enough by that point for them to get 7k or 8k, or whatever they need to justify having maybe 2-3 games per year at Audi Field.

19. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Are you going to the Spirit vs. Red Stars game this coming Saturday?

20. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Maybe? Up until two days ago, I had been planning on doing something else with friends, but that just got cancelled the other day. My sister will have my car on Saturday, though, so that's what will make it hard.

21. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If you can make it, this will be the first appearance of Sam Kerr for the Red Stars. Ertz may get some playing time as well.

Tell your sister to drop you off and pick you back up after the game.

22. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

They might prefer it, but Adidas was offered sponsorship when the league started. They declined. When the contract comes up again in 2019 they can bid, but I think Nike had a small part interest in the league when it started. There might have to be a buyout. And I think that since Nike sponsors the USSF and USWNT, it would be more problematic to have players switching gear, the NWSL is tightly linked to the USSF at the moment.

And players have their own shoe contracts. Saurbrunn, for example, is an Adidas player and O’Hara is an Under Armor player.

Providence Park has been dealing with this since the league started without much issue. Logos around the field and on the LED signs change with the league playing’s sponsor with a few exceptions.

The main scoreboard, for example, has an adidas sign on it for both Thorns and Timbers matches. Other signs get covered by tarp with the other logo on it. It’s fuzzy, but here you can see an Adidas logo on the lower left for a Thorns -Dash match. There is a Nike logo on the Providence clinic for both Timbers and Thorns matches. They work it out.
    [​IMG]
    The two teams usually have separate team gear stores, but this year before the season, both companies were selling gear out of the same store. Now that the season has started, they are separated again.

23. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Four four two interviews of the Independent owners re: NWSL ownership challenges and The Future:
    https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/feat...th-nwsl-owners-talk-future-fears-and-hopes?sb

For me it was nice to read nice things about the Sahlens:

“You get families like the Sahlens,” Lynch said of the former Flash owners, “who have put as much money and much of their heart and soul into women’s professional soccer as any family on the planet. I’m sure they would have been perfectly happy to have the situation work in a way that they were still here and there’s 20,000 people at games every weekend.

“But the reality of the market was, for them, in Joe’s words specifically and Alex’s, they wanted the standards to increase and the women to get more and the league to be more successful, and they did not see a clear path at that point that they could follow and meet what they think are their own standards to get there.

“They said, ‘we agree we want the future, but we don’t feel we can help you guys get there. We have to figure something else out and move along,’ and then move it to Steve Malik in North Carolina, who’s been phenomenal … And then, on top of that, the Sahlens not only do the right thing and move to a good market for us, but then they throw money at that organization in sponsoring the stadium and other things.”

blissett and lil_one repped this.
  24. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a great FourFourTwo article. Another note from the article:

Whistler: "it’s all but certain we’ll add two, probably three new teams next year."

CoachJon repped this.
  25. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #750 lil_one, May 6, 2018
    Last edited: May 6, 2018
    NWSL Championship location has been announced. Portland will host for the second time:

blissett repped this.