News: NWSL general news and info

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Blaze20, Sep 14, 2016.

1. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    How does that work if a player like Pugh wants to do what Press did, list two or 3 teams she would be willing to be traded too.
    So when a player like Hatch who was traded required to sign a new 1+1 contract?

2. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The non-allocated player contracts aren't with the teams. They're with the NWSL. So, Hatch doesn't sign a new contract when she's traded, if she's not an allocated player. Rather, her existing contract (including any team option rights) transfers to the new team.

MiLLeNNiuM and CoachJon repped this.
  3. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    So if Hatch signed a 1+1 with the league when she was drafted by NCC, then she would be in her option year with Washington unless she was asked by the league to sign another 1+1.

CoachJon repped this.
  4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Kathy Carter has left MLS/SUM today. Some people on Twitter are worried (just from generic guessing, it seems) that she might be sliding in to the vacant NWSL Commissioner role. She has the business & leadership experience, but IDK what the over/under is on that... Anyone else have other thoughts?

5. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Worried for Kathy or worried for the NWSL?

Frankly, I doubt the NWSL could find a better candidate.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think the Twitterati were against the "big bad SUM monster" running the NWSL ship. X-D

7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    People are stupid.

Blaze20, lil_one, cpthomas and 1 other person repped this.
  8. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
    But wouldn't that theoretically put the NWSL in a better position to get some of the SUM money?

9. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The NWSL is already tied to SUM via USSF.

Hiring Kathy Carter would merely put an experienced soccer executive with an exemplary record in charge.

10. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
    My point was that NWSL games aren't packaged with USMNT, USWNT, and MLS games, therefore they don't share in the TV money, and why they have to fend for themselves. Carter would be someone who would be in a good position to get the NWSL in on the packaging deal which could lead to increased TV revenue for the league.

11. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The MNT/WNT/MLS deal isn't a malleable thing. There's nothing anyone can do to "get NWSL in". They just have to wait until the current deal expires and negotiations for the next deal begin. And NWSL was going to be in the discussion for the next deal anyway - the only reason it wasn't included in the current deal was because it was literally less than a year old at the time (IIRC the the league and the deal were being crafted at the same time, maybe?) and a very unknown quantity.

12. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Women's tennis players formed what ultimately became the WTA, and that's when they started making real $$. Women's soccer players aren't in the same position yet as the tennis players were, but the time may be coming. Having someone who really knows the business side of sponsorship and broadcasting negotiations would be a massive step in the right direction.

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    That is never going to happen.

14. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    even if there are 3 or so more mls teams owning nwsl clubs when the next tv deal is being negotiated?

15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    You get back to me when those teams start wearing adidas.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  16. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    gotcha.

17. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    lil_one, BlueCrimson, CoachJon and 2 others repped this.
  18. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

19. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Behind the link:
    Shortlisted for the fourth club this year include Bayern, Chelsea, and Barca.
    Portland is on board for next year, at which point the ICC organizers plan to double the number of teams. Apparently nearly 12 established men's ICC teams voiced interest in coming for this first year of the women's competition.
    The first Women's ICC will be four matches in two double-headers in FL: Two semifinals on the 27th and the placement matches on the 29th.

BlueCrimson and CoachJon repped this.
  20. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The date falls right before the TofN so we'll see if Ellis supports this or ruins it.

21. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    And taking one step back in this thread: Grant Wahl adding some real fuel to the fire in terms of the possibility Carter slides into the top NWSL job:
    https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/04/11/insider-fernando-torres-mls-interest-kathy-carter-sum

22. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there any question in your mind? I looked at NC's schedule: Fri 7/20 at UTAH, Sun 8/5 host POR, with games now Fri 7/27 and Sun 7/29.

So the European Teams will be in Portland for training, ending with 45 min exhibition matches on Wed 7/25. They travel 3 time zones on Thursday, and play in Miami on Friday.
    Miami in July. Cross country flight the day before the games. European Teams not in season. :eek:

On second thought, even if (scratch that) when Ellis calls the NATs into camp, it could maybe level the playing field a littte.

23. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I could see her taking the NWSL job only if she has the ability to plot a roadmap that disentangles the league from direct USSF oversight - including player contracts, sponsorship deals, and so on.

As more NWSL teams go upscale with regards to resources (read partnered with MLS teams) the pressure to end the dual-track player status is only going to grow. I think Carli Lloyd's stunt after the Olympics with not reporting to her club team really has made it inevitable. I'm also guessing the new USWNTPA/USSF CBA was done without consulting the NWSL team owners, or at least without much influence from them.

And as to the commercial and sponsorship deals, I suspect the MLS teams (and the adidas sponsored NCFC) would prefer to be able to put their NWSL teams into adidas gear - which would also allow for more tighter co-branding.

The adidas/Nike separation definitely leads to added expense and operational headaches. Two completely different sets of pinnies for gameday operations and media to wear have to be maintained. Club staff have to have separate Nike and adidas staff and field wear.

That's just one small piece.

If Carter gets the job, I would suspect steady and substantive changes over the coming years. If USSF and/or Nike wants to keep a tighter leash, I would not expect her to get the position.

CoachJon repped this.
  24. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope the 4th team isn't Chelsea. Nothing personal against them, but there's already one English team with Man City. I would be fine with either Barcelona or Bayern.

In any case, this is great news for the NWSL, and I'm thrilled that the Courage are going to be representing the league against top international clubs. Hopefully the league gets more attention and more fans attending games.

kernel_thai and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  25. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What happened:

Now that I'm actually seeing this, I'm a bit blown away by how petty and childish the stuff was from Parsons: "How can I show the referee how mad I am? I know! I'll put some dirt in his hand." Seriously?

blissett repped this.