News: NWSL general news and info

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Blaze20, Sep 14, 2016.

1. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Wasn't there even a dedicated thread to this book, somewhere on these boards, if I remember well? :cautious:

CoachJon repped this.
  2. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you mean this thread in the Women's International forum with a bit of discussion about the book?

CoachJon repped this.
  3. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes. It was very short, in fact, but I guess that the very fact that the book became the subject of a single thread can be considered meaningful in itself.

CoachJon repped this.
  4. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Dan Lauletta‏ @TheDanLauletta
    #NWSL season will be 24 matches again, opening weekend March 24-25, closing weekend September 8, 9, then playoffs and final to be held September 22

10:35 AM - 16 Jan 2018

5. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    I like that they are starting the season early. Barely anytime after the end of SheBelieve and other world wide tournies the season starts

6. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    It also lets them test the waters for an expanded season or as a way to deal with WC/OG breaks. I would expect the schedule will place the early matches in warmer weather cities

7. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    I'm on the east coast and one week its in the 50s like last week and the next its cold. I guess what I'm saying is I don't think it will be an issue to host a game on the east coast in late March

blissett repped this.
  8. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I don't think ill see March games in Chicago or SLC. When there was a team in WNY they generally had their home opener in May each season. They might still hit weather problems but if they could run from SBC to the first week in November, that's an eight month season

9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    (We have a thread specifically for schedule discussion)

10. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portland's Providence Park, with expansion ongoing, won't be ready until the weekend of April 14-15.

kernel_thai repped this.
  11. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if #nofinishline also means #no last call
    954431347518574592 is not a valid tweet id

Semblance17 repped this.
  12. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FourFourTwo Q&A with Yael Averbuch (NWSL PA president) on development in woso, both in respect to the NWSL and the national team program. Also a bit on the NWSL front office needs.

13. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Nice article. Also, I didn't know Yael Averbuch was president of Players Association. I am happy that Seattle recently signed such an important personality. :geek:

Blaze20 and Semblance17 repped this.
  14. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ....in other completely random news, Twitter suspended the Red Stars' account last night. o_O

59Amerinorsk and blissett repped this.
  15. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Why? Did they do anything wrong?

Submerged by protests about Press transfer? :laugh:

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    No reason given at all, though the Presserazzi were enjoying the situation.

But, in the time since my last post, it's been reinstated after being down for nearly 20hrs. Enough people complained I guess. X-D

blissett repped this.
  17. 59Amerinorsk

59Amerinorsk Member

Chicago Red Stars
    Norway
    Mar 31, 2017
    Now, if they could shut down another known Twitter account......:ROFLMAO::laugh:

HeadSpun, lil_one, sitruc and 2 others repped this.
  18. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Q&A with NWSL PA president Yael Averbuch with comments on the state of the NWSL post-Boston, potential future expansion as it relates to MLS, areas of improvement, small roster sizes, and ways fans can support the NWSL. She repeats some of the stuff seen in the FourFourTwo Q&A about front office needs. She also makes good suggestions on ways to add value for players that are not just increasing salary (e.g. subsidizing coaching education). On the expansion note though, its interesting that this interview was with a blog based in Minnesota.

Semblance17 and blissett repped this.
  19. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    MiLLeNNiuM, kernel_thai and Blaze20 repped this.
  20. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I can't believe 6-7 weeks left before the NWSL season starts and no schedule, no news, no talk, little information, you have to go to people's twitters just to get an inkling of some sort of news. - ridiculous!

How are you going to get to a level of popularity, keep people interested, put butts in the seats if you are so tight-lipped about everything.

Hey NWSL, get a fricken schedule out so people can start making plans to go to your games!

21. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Take your complaints to the schedule thread.

22. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the General News and Info thread - so pretty much any discussion point belongs here. Some might say having a separate thread for just schedule talk is extraneous.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  23. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well then, if we have a thread where anything can be discussed, why have separate threads for anything at all? Let's just pile everything in one thread. Any other specific threads are extraneous.

Maybe it's just me, but "general news" is different than "all news", with "general" implying anything that doesn't fit anywhere else yet. Having separate threads for proper discussion is the reason we have a full forum instead of one giant thread.

Besides, my criticism was two-fold - if MRAD had looked at the schedule thread, (and maybe he did but just felt like complaining here anyway,) the reasoning for the delay AND some hints as to the league's progress on the schedule are already discussed there.

24. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    To be fair, MRAD's point about the league being too tight-lipped is something that I *have* mentioned in other threads, more in the context of the league not doing nearly as sufficient a job as it could in "controlling the narrative". Simply saying "we're talking to X" or "we're reviewing Y" is not that hard and it's better than saying nothing. But the league doesn't do that, and it certainly seems to apply to multiple aspects of how the league chooses to run, which isn't a good PR mode in general.

25. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The corpse of the Boston Breakers is still warm. I think it's pretty obvious why the schedule hasn't been released.