News: NWSL general news and info

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Blaze20, Sep 14, 2016.

1. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
  2. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a 25-year-old dinosaur/nonconformist who doesn't own a smartphone, it's beyond frustrating that the only ticket delivery method for the NWSL Championship is mobile check-in. This may very well prevent me from attending.

3. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #553 blissett, Oct 8, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    Semblance, I am very glad to know I am not the only one remained in this world who doesn't own a smartphone, and I definitely can hear you. In the last pair of years it looks like the recurring marketing campaign is not meant to make the life easier for who owns a smartphone, but to make it impossible for who doesn't, denying access to a boatload of very basic services.

I don't know what's your reasoning behind not possessing a smartphone, but I, for my part, don't want to go around with a device informing everyone about everything about my life. And, for sure, I don't want owning a smartphone to become a legal obligation. Or it all becomes very close to a (technological) totalitarism (in the true and original meaning of the word).

4. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    I'll be at the game if you want help to go

CoachJon, Semblance17 and blissett repped this.
  5. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the offer. After about an hour on the phone, I bought my ticket online and had Ticketmaster manually change my delivery method to Will Call, so I should be in good shape. But if the box office doesn't have my ticket when I arrive, you and everyone else at the stadium will hear me.

Airox, CoachJon, Gilmoy and 2 others repped this.
  6. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    +1

Semblance17 and blissett repped this.
  7. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    blissett repped this.
  8. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I am going to Orlando this weekend. Booked my flight a month or so ago in hopes the Red Stars will be there. Now that the Red Stars aren't in it, I don't know if I'll go, haven't made up my mind yet. but I may want to check out some festivities.

Anyone know of any festivities surrounding the NWSL Championship? I've been to the new stadium a couple of times this summer so I know the location, etc.

9. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    There are open practices tomorrow and a few things Saturday. Jen Cooper is hosting another Wosoco and I know some pride fans were organizing a pickup game -

Not aware of anything official besides the open practices.
    You should come and join me in getting drunk

CoachJon repped this.
  10. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Beware not getting rowdy.

Especially at Epcot! ;)

Semblance17 repped this.
  11. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    I plan on reenacting this

12. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Thank you. My plane gets into Orlando at around 2:30 tomorrow, so I probably won't make it to the open practice. May go to the pickup though or any pregame parties. LMK.

CoachJon repped this.
  13. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was funny that they made a point of clarifying that the open practices wouldn't be like the USWNT practices of old where the fans would get to interact with the players briefly afterwards.

"At the conclusion of each training session the Stadium will be cleared immediately of any fans."

(I added the boldface)

blissett repped this.
  14. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Beau Dure, Smallchief and CoachJon repped this.
  15. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    It is indeed an exceptionally interesting book. Foxhoven's stint with a Russian team could be made into a horror movie. Makes me wonder why anyone in their right mind would want to collude with the Russians. ;)

I also enjoyed the chapter about Allie Long in the NWSL off season playing indoor soccer with immigrant men's teams in Brooklyn, showing up several times a week (driving her Lexus) to play a gritty game in which she is known as the "gringa" and "rubia" (Blondie). There's also a movie plot there..

A good chapter on the Afghan refugee, Nadia Nadim. And a good chapter about the plight of gay women on Christian soccer teams.

16. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Actually @hotjam2 had already opened a thread about that on the women's international forum. But it hadn't been followed enough there, so it makes sense that it appears here also, for maximum visibility.

17. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    This book deserves maximum visibility. Agreed wholeheartedly.

blissett repped this.
  18. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    #568 Blaze20, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    blissett repped this.
  19. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #569 SiberianThunderT, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    I would kinda expect divestments to happen for a Governor, but considering that he was previously Ambassador to Germany and purchased the team then, I don't know? If selling the team is necessary, I hope they can get one of the two NY MLS teams interested after the previous negotiations failed... Giving Barcelona an NY foothold wouldn't be awful, but with MLS already entrenched in that region I'd much prefer one of those options.

Blaze20 repped this.
  20. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The rules on that sort of thing apparently changed on January 20th.

Blaze20, lil_one and sitruc repped this.
  21. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Any news or info coming in or is NWSL a forgotten entity for a few months until the draft?

22. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Saw a press release and tweet today that NWSL once again has a female coach -- Denise Reddy (longtime Gabarra assistant) is taking over Sky Blue.

Semblance17, sitruc and blissett repped this.
  23. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yes. She was also the Assistant to Emma Hayes for the Chicago Red Stars in 2009, 2010 during the WPS days.

24. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tinton Falls, N.J. (Nov. 15, 2017) – Sky Blue FC officially announced today that Denise Reddy has been hired as the new head coach of the National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL) club. Most recently an assistant coach with the Washington Spirit, Reddy is a New Jersey native who has previously served as a head coach in three different countries.

http://www.skybluefc.com/denise-reddy-named-sky-blue-fc-head-coach/

25. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    there is news. it may be elsewhere on this board, but i only see it in the expansion thread.

rsl is buying fckc.

woe to all small market and shallow pocket owners.