News: NWSL general news and info

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Blaze20, Sep 14, 2016.

1. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    And they had to play the game at Kansas City twice.

I was at training yesterday and I got the sense they were expecting the trip to Houston to be called off.

One advantage to basically having the playoffs sewn up and being a win or two from hosting on 10/7-8 is that when the Houston game is rescheduled, they can play all the scrubs.

CoachJon repped this.
  2. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playoff matches announced for Columbus Day weekend in October. Seems like a poor choice. Most youth players have tournaments that weekend. With the playoff games at 3:30, most people that would watch will be playing their own games at that time.

blissett repped this.
  3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I've come to realize that most of the fretting about youth soccer with regards to attendance at professional sports is for naught.

People gonna go when they want to go. And playoff attendance for the vast majority of minor league and niche professional sports is usually terrible because the games aren't on the magnet schedule and teams don't pre-sell groups.

CoachJon and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  4. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm worried of what is going to happen to Houston Dash and FCKC. I have a feeling one or both may be relocated before next season.

5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    FCKC was purchased just within the past year with the new owner specifically saying a move wasn't in the cards. (Didn't he even buy a property in KC to be closer to the team?) I kinda doubt they'll move unless the league forces it for some reason, and considering they've never done that for NJ...
    Houston ownership may be tired of the Dash (especially with many of the Dash originals no longer there) but I don't think the team is going anywhere unless it's sold to another MLS club, especially Dallas. I think the negative visibility of an MLS club cutting its NWSL squad is something that would be avoided at all costs.

6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'm more worried about what the effect of not having a commissioner for an extended period of time is having. There's been nothing particularly wrong about this year aside from that (I'm not counting an "off year" slight drop in attendance as a problem) so I don't see any outward signs of trouble for the league, but the fact that there doesn't seem to be any forward momentum at this point feels very weird when we had that feeling every year up to this point. I think it's fine (and maybe expected) for leagues to have stagnant years every now and then, but it's a very new feeling for NWSL fans. Maybe that's a sign that the league is maturing to the point that we can even have a stagnant year? I dunno. Definitely feels weird. I want to hear about expansion, new sponsorship, or at least better TV/streaming soon, though I doubt any of that happens without a true commissioner.

Blaze20, lil_one, Gilmoy and 1 other person repped this.
  7. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Everything this year feels wierd ...

8. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is really cool:

lil_one, blissett and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  9. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    It's getting shredded on Twitter for not showing or mentioning any women's soccer players.

10. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get that, and I personally dislike all the cliches (women as good role models, support women's sports as a cause, etc.) But I don't think its trying to appeal to a soccer or sports fan; instead, it seems to be trying to pull in the regular Lifetime viewer who doesn't watch sports. And if that's the case, it does that well, imo.

11. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    absolutely agree. (just about everything gets shredded on twitter).

this is great!! wonder how much it cost. did the talent forgo their fee?

12. Tracer

Tracer Member

Apr 22, 2016
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carli Lloyd‏Verified account @CarliLloyd
    Up bright and early this morning! Trip up to NYC for @TODAYshow at the 9am hour. Talking @NWSL and #PassTheBall with @lifetimetv!

7:41 AM - 28 Sep 2017

This is a little annoying that TODAY invites a player (or the league selected her for the appearance) who has played all of 7 games in the NWSL this season. I know that she is articulate and a national team star but come on.

13. Tracer

Tracer Member

Apr 22, 2016
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SiberianThunderT repped this.
  14. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll just take it as the marketing is targeted to a group that doesn't include us. If this gets more general Lifetime fans interested, then I guess that's a success.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    If they'd really wanted to help, they wouldn't have included the NWSL portion in their own CBA. As long as WNT-CBA players are contracted to USSF and not the NWSL and controlled by their own teams - and also by being stakeholders in any NWSLPA union - it's all going to be a problem.

16. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    MRAD12 and blissett repped this.
  17. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #542 MRAD12, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    That could give the supporters in Portland huge fodder for some outrages chants and taunts.

I am going to the NWSL Championship game in Orlando in two weeks and planned on going to Epcot for the Food and Wine Festival. I may go to the English Pub and see if anyone can tell me what happened.

CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  18. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  19. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  20. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    blissett repped this.
  21. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I still say, Portland fans if they want could have a field day with this on Saturday.
    I know a few Red Stars fans that would absolutely have chants, songs and posters ready for her if Orlando was playing Chicago at Toyota Park.

22. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  23. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    That would not be the "problem" as it were.

24. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Yeah, the reaction among a lot of dudes on Twitter was "Cool!"

blissett repped this.
  25. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm just saying that the media coverage isn't the problem. If there's a problem, it's the reason(s) that the media have something to cover.

sitruc repped this.