News: NWSL general news and info

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Blaze20, Sep 14, 2016.

1. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Interesting, but completely lacking context as to professionalism. What percentage of players in each league are professionals? What is the minimum/median/mean salaries paid to players - and what is the roster size?

The comparisons may not be apples to oranges, but they're not necessarily the same variety of apple. While comparing Golden Delicious to Granny Smith may involve only apples, it's not necessarily a valid comparison.

Cliveworshipper repped this.
  2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I wouldn't say completely lacking... They say very little explicitly, but all the numbers play out professionalism fairly clearly. Between the five leagues, the only one that's fully professional (NWSL) is the one that leads the way in age on the squad, age on the pitch, NTs on the pitch, and is above the average in all other categories (expats on the squad, expats on the pitch, and NTs on the squad). And in the other four leagues, the teams leading in age, expats, and NTers are the professional clubs (with few exceptions - Reading in age, Yeovil and Sand in expats). So it's pretty clear that the clubs/leagues with more money can keep players longer, attract them from farther, and get better talent from the top.

I'll have to dig a bit, but a while back there was a report from the Australian players' association with a similar study, but that report did include financial info.

CoachJon, blissett, BlueCrimson and 2 others repped this.
  3. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #503 Cliveworshipper, Jun 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    It would have been more informative with some other easy measures, such as the median age in each league ( are there four old teams and four teams of teenagers?) , and the stats for say, the top four teams in each league.

4. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I hadn't noticed the all-American Red Stars roster before.

5. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Has anyone heard whether the USWNT players will be available for their teams this weekend?
    The Red Stars took away Morgan and Press from their advertisement for their game on Twitter. I thought I saw them on it earlier in the week.
    I'm worried that fans are looking forward to this game to see Morgan and Press in Chicago and they may be swooped away for the National Team. Anyone know?

6. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Everything I've heard is that they aren't being pulled until after this weekend's games. Aug 4 games are a different story. Supposed to be back Aug 5 but questionable who will be available depending how much they played.

7. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Just over halfway through the season, my votes for Most Improved Player are Camila (Orlando) and Lindsay Elston (Seattle). Interesting, both of them played for the Dash a few years ago and did not make an impression. Role players at best. This season both emerged as starters for new teams. Camila consistently one of the league's most creative players. And Elston stepped into a Seattle midfield who key pieces from past years were suddenly gone, and hasn't looked out of place at all. Fair play to them both. Two years ago you'd never think they would be NWSL players, not to mention key ones.

CoachJon repped this.
  8. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Interesting note...Sofia Huerta is also training with the US squad tho she is ineligible for selection. While I think she deserves the attention it seems an odd time to pull her from her club

9. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #509 MRAD12, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    I agree on the taking her away from her NWSL team.
    However I am very happy for Sofia on getting noticed by Jill Ellis. This kid has worked very hard to get where she is and she deserves this. We Red Stars fans see it every game. Nothing is given to her. She has created her own style and developed her skills to suit her abilities and is doing very well. I would LOVE to see her in a US jersey one day.
    And if you like a player that has passion - then Sofia Huerta is your girl!

Smallchief repped this.
  10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The Courage practiced with their full squad today. If they were expecting any players to be gone, I'm pretty sure they'd be getting the subs ready.

MRAD12 repped this.
  11. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #511 Smallchief, Jul 20, 2017
    I am also happy that Huerta is going to get a chance, either as a flanking midfielder or a forward. I think she's a better forward, and I've been underwhelmed by many of our forwards over the last couple of years, but...whatever.

Taylor Smith is on the squad? Well, she did pretty well against Rapinoe a couple of weeks ago... I thought Hinkle was better, but Hinkle seems to have blotted her copy book.

12. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #512 Smallchief, Jul 20, 2017
    I agree both Camila and Elston have been good this year. I've also liked Hayley Raso of Portland this year, She has become one of my favorite players to watch. Hardest working player of the year? Maybe Daly of Houston. .

I'm also pleased to see old-pros Salem and Zerboni having good years -- tough, blue-collar players both.

13. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Another thing not accounted for is that Canadians aren't for the most part treated as expats in the NWSL. The league is deJure from three FA's and deFacto from the USA and Canada. Both countries have allocated players.

And more than a few of the Canadians are dual citizens.

14. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #514 MRAD12, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    As I mentioned in the Red Stars thread:

PIGS ARE FLYING! HELL HAS FROZEN OVER!

As I was driving to work this morning I heard a Chicago radio station actually announced the game between the Red Stars and Pride for tomorrow. I had to look around and make sure I wasn't still on vacation in Orlando!
    As brief as the announcement was it was still better than what local radio stations have done before for the Red Stars which was NOTHING!

BlueCrimson, CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  15. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lil_one, sitruc and Fracas repped this.
  16. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tyler Lussi suspended for Portland's next three games. Oh, and Christy Holly stepped down as SkyBlue's head coach.

blissett repped this.
  17. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surprised to hear this...did I miss something?

18. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's two players getting three game suspensions for pony tail pulling. The first, it was her second time but maybe the first time wasn't caught. Three games is a clear message from the league.

blissett repped this.
  19. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I was looking around to see who the most prominent candidates for Rookie of the Year are. I come up with 4 among whom one will likely be chosen.

Hatch, NC -- 4 goals. Another goal or two and she probably will be the favorite.

Lavelle, Bos -- 2 goals, 1 assist. She's been hurt and will need to get in a few games before the end of the season to be a contender.

Johnson, Sea -- 3 goals, 2 assists. She's a sub, but she's looking good on the stat page.

Gibbons, KC -- 1 goal, 3 assists. I was underwhelmed by her early on, but she's getting better.

Sky Blue has several rookie defenders and a rookie goalkeeper who have accumulated a lot of minutes -- but Sky Blue's defense is so bad I probably wouldn't vote for any of them.at present.

Anybody else?

21. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sheridan was in contention earlier this season, but SkyBlue's awful defensive record has probably knocked her out of it. Hatch is the favorite at the moment.

A name that should get more consideration (but I doubt she will) is Dougherty-Howard. She's looking more like a total draft steal for Washington.

CoachJon repped this.
  22. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SiberianThunderT, blissett and CoachJon repped this.
  23. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    blissett repped this.
  24. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  25. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #525 Smallchief, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    Given that Dahlkemper, Mewis, and Williams did 90 minutes and Smith did 60 of August 5 for the National Team and then all four did 90 minutes for NC on August 5 -- without showing any signs of wear and tear -- I'd say these are super-women. ;)

In addition, Carolina has the top spot nearly sewed up. It can afford to play its subs and rest its regulars.

SiberianThunderT and CoachJon repped this.